The Green House Inn

Expedia.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

More about New Orleans

Asian Hall at New Orleans Museum of ArtAsian Hall at New Orleans Museum of Art

St.Louis Cathedral interiorSt.Louis Cathedral interior

for adults onlyfor adults only

Café BeignetCafĂ© Beignet

I'm Interested in Swamp Boat Ride Information

by Expensive2keep

I'm headed to fun/crazy/exciting New Orleans next week. I want to take a swamp boat ride. Any suggestions on companies to use, where to go, if reservations are needed? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

by bocmaxima

Yes, you need to book advance.
Will you have a car? There are companies that will pick you up in the city, but that limits your choices a little more.

by stamporama

When my wife and I were there last January (I know, not exactly a good time for a swamp tour), we booked with the Cajun Pride Tours. This was suitable for us as we didn't have a car (not necessary within NO) and aside from the swamp ride, one could also choose to visit a plantation as well as a city/cemetery tour.

You need to book at least a day ahead, they'll pick you up and others from your hotel lobbies at designated times and though they'll ask for your credit card info, they won't charge it until you get to the swamp harbor office.

by Odinnthor

Great idea to do a swamp ride. The Creole Queen is a good one to go with. They have a tour called the Jean Lafitte Louisiana Swamp Tours.

So many things to do around N'Orleans. For entertainment look for these artists that make the town their home. Dr. John, Wynton Marsalis, The Neville Brothers, Fats Domino, The Ragin' Cajun Doug Kershaw, and many others.

Here is something to get you in the mood, - and if you don't like what the doctor say, - Jackomo finne an dey.....d:o)

You may want to impress your partner with a carriage ride, great introduction to the city. (I am basing that on your screen name....)....d:o)

A Mississippi river cruise should be done if possible. Hard to get bad Louisiana food, but understand that river cruise food is rather mass produced, so son't expect Chez Cajun so to speak,....! The best one in my opinion is the Creole Queen. They have both dinner and jazz cruises, and they also have a bayou trip that is pretty good.

For the backstory on the French Quarter/New Orleans try the courtyard/cemetary tour......

Hope this helps.......d:o)

Travel Tips for New Orleans

Airbrushing

by ATXtraveler

I noticed that alot of people had airbrushed their vehicles when I went down to New Orleans. While I was stuck in rush hour traffic, I had the pleasure of being behind one such vehicle, and felt obliged to share my experience with the world.

Here is a wonderful view of a New Orleans citizen's airbrushing!

Life in the Big Easy

by Jmill42

Bourbon Street is the first place any visitor to NOLA should go. However upscale or high class you think you are, or too old you perceive yourself to be, NO ONE should be excluded from, or feel out of place in "The Quarter." Having experienced most of what New Orleans has to offer, my best times were spent at Audubon Park. Whether I was jogging on the track by the seawall , or throwing the football with friends, a good weather day meant I should be at the park. But then again, being completely wasted with those same friends later that night in the quarter was great too!

VIVA Rue de Bourbon!!

Suck the head. No, this is...

by Paladin857

Suck the head. No, this is not some obscene sexual reference. It refers to the practice of eating the mud bugs, otherwise known as crawfish. First you remove the head and then you suck the juices from it before proceeding to eat the crawfish tale. This task is best accomplished with lots of Abita, one of the local beers. The Piano Bar at Pat O'Brien's. Pat O'Brien's is well known for it's mighty hurricanes - beware they sneak up on you, but don't let that be a deterrent. Our fondest memory of this place is a blurr (they say if you can remember Mardi Gras you weren't really there.) It all starts at Pat OBrien's.

The Mississippi River

by goingsolo

The Mississippi is basically a dirty river. But there is a boardwalk along the river in the French Quarter, which makes it a relaxing spot on a nice day. Lying on the grass near the Mississippi river soaking up the sun and sleeping off the excesses of the previous night.

Meet The Ever-Friendly Locals :)!

by saccharinicity

One of the things that makes coming here so damn great are the people who call this city home. People end up coming here from all over due to the draw of this bewitching city, and everyone knows the magic it holds.

If you let yourself go and live in the moment you will see that most of the locals are some of the most friendly, fun and sometimes even a little bit crazy, people you will ever have the opportunity to meet. I always think you would have to be a touch crazy to reside in this city, and even crazier to deal with the French Quarter on a regular basis*. Some of my best memories come from the times I befriended people here and I still to this day keep in touch with some.

New Orleans is home to so many different types of people. Those drawn here for the relaxed and welcoming happy vibe, those struggling to get by with their families, tortured (and sometimes not tortured enough) artists, eccentric performers, dirty and disheveled runaways and even the random homeless drunk strolling around the river just wanting to chat with someone.

I have had unforgettable experiences when I have let go and lived in the moment and took advantage of the fact that these people are friendly, adventurous and live-in-the-moment fun.

They are what really always make my trips magical and oh-so unforgettable.

*I in no way mean crazy in a derogatory way. In fact I mean it as a great compliment as I have been called crazy numerous times myself :) Crazy in NOLA is my idea of a perfect life.

Comments