The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Costs 112% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• nyceagle1633's Profile Photo

4 out of 5

The hotel was really nice. Large flat screen tv, well air-conditioned, very comfortable beds..but we needed to call to repair the bathroom handle door and the lever for turning on the water to the shower...which both was repaired extremely quick and caused no further problems. The hotel is in a good convenient location, staff was extremely helpful but..but..the internet charge (which we did not use) is 12 dollars a day..or they had 32 dollars for 3 days use..i mean really, you're the Ritz..you shouldn't be charging this type of rate..3 or 4 dollars a day is okay..12..that was outrageous.

Directions: French Quarter

• doug48's Profile Photo

canal street

the ritz-carlton is located on the french quarter side of canal street. this luxury hotel is a very good place to stay for both the tourist and business traveler. the ritz-carlton is home to the fine melange restaurant. the ritz-carlton offers all of the amenities that you would expect of this luxury chain.

Directions: french quarter.

• johnfromoz's Profile Photo

Old world class & loads of southern hospitality

After much debating we chose the Ritz-Carlton for our stay in New Orleans.This had a lot to do with the fact that from the moment my wife started inquiring over the internet about a possible booking, we were pleasantly surprised by the wonderful customer service we received from the staff there. Our stay was in the lead up to Christmas 2008 & we were also going to be celebrating our youngest son's 21st birthday whilst there. The effort that they went to to make our stay an incredibly enjoyable one was first class. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a lovely place to hang your hat in New Orleans. The hotel is just on the edge of the French quarter & is only five minutes walk to any of the must see attractions, but not so close that the noise & late night revelers will be of bother to a good nights sleep (the beds are so so comfy). The hotel was fully decked out in decorations for the holiday season including a very large tree & full scale gingerbread house that you could sit inside & eat the candy provided. If we return to New Orleans The only hotel we will consider is the Ritz.

Unique Quality: Jessica, in Guest services was a marvel, thanks for all your help.
    Central location, extremely well appointed large rooms with king size beds.
    Great Courtyard
    The best valve for money hotel we stayed in whilst holidaying across the US & Canada. Including New York, Los Angeles, Orlando, Vancouver, Banff & Jasper.

Directions: On the edge of the French Quarter

• Wendy67's Profile Photo

A bit too "laid back"

Previously the Maison Blanche Department Store, $250 million in restoration and renovation has resulted in New Orleans' only AAA Five Diamond Award. So you'd expect nothing but the best. However....

Upon arriving in our room, I was surprised to find it so dirty. And I'm not pompous - I've stayed in many a dive in my day, but you get what you pay for. I noted little gray fuzzballs all over the bed cover, then glanced up at the ceiling fan to find about three inches of filth on the fan blades. An inspection of the bathroom revealed a dirty bathtub and broken floor tiles. The tabletops were sticky with .... something. Back to the front desk I went.

We were given a room upgrade, which revealed a satisfactorily clean room, although we didn't turn on the filthy ceiling fan above the beds.

I'd recommend a room above the fourth floor on the courtyard side - definitely away from Canal Street, which can be quite loud at night.

The desk staff were kind and accommodating. I think it's the laid back atmosphere of New Orleans that lends to it's downfall in services. No one seems to care about the details - and details are what you pay for at the Ritz Carlton. My next trip to N.O. will find me at a quaint B&B.

Unique Quality: The courtyard wass very peaceful, but very dirty. It seems that it was no one's job to pick up after people had left. My friend and I attempted to clean off our own table - no big deal - but then noted there were no trash cans anywhere to be found. So we moved the rubbish to an empty table, cleaned off a place to sit, and kicked back to relax.

High tea is served Sundays at 1:00 - reservations are necessary, although the concierge will tell you otherwise. We showed up without a reservation and were turned away. After again checking with the concierge, we were told high tea would be provided to us in the abovementioned, dirty courtyard. I asked to have it delivered to our room, and it was....three hours later. On the plus side, it was complimentary due to our "trouble". On the minus side, it was now dinnertime.

The Ritz-Carlton Spa was absolutely wonderful. Although it carries the Ritz name, they claim to be a separate entity and services cannot be put on your hotel bill. Sauna, steam room, and resistence pool are complimentary with your stay at the hotel. A morning massage is a great way to start the day.

Directions: Canal and Dauphine Streets, just at the edge of the French Quarter.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Formerly the Maison Blanche Department Store

I have not stayed at this hotel, but it was opposite the Canal Street streetcar stop and the architecture fascinated me. In addition to formerly being part of the turn of the century Maison Blanche department store, it appears that the entrance is through the old Kress 5 & 10 store.

Unique Quality: This is a luxury hotel (AAA gives it a five diamond rating) within easy walking distance of Bourbon Street. I would think that the parades could be viewed from the windows on the Canal Street side. There is also a courtyard and a rooftop garden which are not visible from the street.

452 guest rooms and suites with goose-down pillows, European amenities, 10-foot ceilings and marble bathrooms but they also have more modern items such as CD players, dual phone lines, honor bars, and a small heated indoor pool. Doubles run $266 and up.

It also has AAA's only 5 diamond restaurant - Victors. High tea is served in the salon in the afternoons, and evenings the Library Bar serves cocktails and chocolates.

The 20,000 square foot spa is considered to be the city's best and features unique treatments such as the Magnolia Sugar Scrub and Napoleon's Royal Massage, which combines Swedish massage with hydrotherapy.

Directions: Between Dauphine and Burgundy Sts. between the French Quarter and the CBD (Central Business District)

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Ritz-Carlton New Orleans

I stayed here the weekend before Mardi Gras. Since the hotel is right on Canal Street, you could simply walk outside and see all the parades. The rooms are fancy- marble bathrooms and bathrobes, but small. The hotel has its own spa, several restaurants and a beautiful courtyard area. Its expensive but worth it.

Unique Quality: The location is great. A short walk to Bourbon Street.

More about The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans

Expected more

Disappointing is the key word for the Ritz New Orleans. We expected first class treatement at the Ritz. Our room was tiny, and service was inconsistent. The internet system did not work. Trying to find a snack or hor'doerve to go with an early afternoon drink was difficult, except in the very dark bar. We stayed at the Ritz primarily for the spa, but the staff were rude and unprofessional. The manager tried to make up for it after we complained, but the damage was done. There is no outiside pool. Even getting a cup of coffee was impossible. They provide a coffee urn until 8AM, but it is taken away at variable times; then it took about 15 minutes to find someone in the restaurant, who could find a cup of coffee to take back to your room. That really startes your day right. On our last day they opened a "Pete's Coffee" in the lobby, which settled that somehat. The hotel certainly is not worth the premium price.

Ritzy

We checked into the hotel on Dec. 26th for a two night stay after finding the great $99 rate online. Having read previous entries for this hotel, I requested a room facing the French Quarter but was told only rooms facing Canal Street were still available. I asked for a room as high as possible and was given one on the 7th floor (The 3rd floor is the lobby and the 4th is meeting rooms). I was a little worried about the noise from Canal Street but Friday was relatively quiet so we decided to remain. Unfortunately Saturday night was incredibly noisy not only with sirens but also with the booming of car stereos and yelling all night long. With only single pane windows that rattled with the stereo sound, needless to say, we didn't sleep well. The steep cost of parking is also something to consider too.

Overall, the hotel is beautiful, the marble bathroom and the king size bed was luxurious and the staff was very friendly. However, next time we travel to New Orleans, we agreed we want to stay somewhere a little less generic in its luxury, deeper in the French Quarter and somewhere a lot quiter.

Great room, not so great event service

"Finally, I have arrived!" I thought when the front desk called my room an hour after I checked in to make sure everything was to my liking and if I would like my room to be serviced at any particular time. And of course almost every staff addressed me by name. I love my room: the comfy feather bed, downcomforter, high thread count sheets, marble bathroom with nice deep tub! Even the guys attending my events couldn't stop raving about the size of their bathroom! Of course, they raved even more about the great location - right at the entrance of the French Quarter, one blk from Bourbon St. My favorite: fresh terrycloth slippers and complimentary shoe shine everyday! And this is the ONLY hotel where I had GREAT banquet/event food! The seafood gumbo was the best I ever had. On the downside, their event staff really did not live up to the Ritz reputation. Our equipments were not moved as requested (3 times!), AV equipment didn't work right, room rates and reservation for five of the people in my group were wrong, conference rooms were either too cold or hot, poor sound insolation between conference rooms, very SLOW response by the banquet manager to my request and complaints, etc. etc. Nevertheless, I would hold another event here if I can get the same rate - $140/nt and I would not hesitate to stay here for pleasure!

SMOKERS HAWAII ~~~~~~Hilton!

If you are a "SMOKER" NO PROBLEMA!Now, if you are not PLEASE don't ask the cleaning staff to "FILTER THE AIR IN YOUR ROOM" , Because if you have asthma, or allergies or are disgusted by dirt, NEVER NEVER NEVER, stay here again.Thank you for your attention. "HINT" THE RITZ ;)

Comments