W New Orleans French Quarter

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Expedia.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Costs 60% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• W hotel without the Starwood Service

I have opted to stay here multiple times for the location. Spend $50k a year on Starwood hotels and have been a platinum member for over a decade. This hotel management needs some serious help. The location is great, however the car service has not once been available in 4 years. The rooms- well, lets just say they will do whatever, whenever they want, with no regard to your needs.

• klj&a's Profile Photo

W Hotel

Can't go wrong with the W. It's a few blocks off Bourbon Street, but it can still get noisy. I was expecting it since it's in the French Quarter. Wasn't noisy enough to really bother me. The elevators can be very slow, so you might want to take that into account if you're in a hurry. They don't have a restaurant for breakfast, but there is a cafe across the street called, Cafe Fleur De Lis, which I highly recommend.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Style in the heart of the Quarter

On the site of an older mansion, the Starwood Hotel chain created a wonderful little hotel, the W French Quarter. The W chain is known for its opulence, and this stay was definitely on par for most of my previous W visits.

My experience started with a wonderful start as the bell boy team at this hotel is stellar. Very engaging and helpful, the team loaded up the cart full of luggage and baby supplies. There is only the option of valet parking if you want to store your car on property, and that will set you back $34 USD a night. The check in process was fairly efficient, and the staff worked very well to ensure that we had a sizable room for our baby's bed to be set up. The room itself was wonderful, although Sarah did complain that there was not a bathtub. The courtyard has a nice lounge area and the restaurant is Bacco, which is a nice Italian restaurant.

The main thing that I liked about this particular site is that it is literally in the middle of the French Quarter, which was very convenient for the enjoyment of the area.

• annabear08's Profile Photo

Good location!

Daddy travels alot for business, so he normally gets to stay for free at really nice hotels. We had alot of exploring to do in the French Quarter, so when we went to New Orleans, we stayed in at the W Hotels. This hotel is not designed with babies in mind, but they were very accommodating for me on my stay. They offered us a corner room, so that if I was too loud I would not disturb other guests and the room had plenty of space for my pack and play to be set up. I had alot of fun rolling around on the comfortable bed, but was disappointed that my room did not have a bathtub! We made due without my nightly bath, but I sure did miss it!

I also liked how close this hotel was to the French Quarter. We took very nice walks a couple times a day in between my nap times, and got to see alot of historical places. Even the hotel itself was an older mansion with a nice courtyard!

If you get the chance to stay in this hotel, I would recommend the courtyard view, as the street views did get a bit noisy as the revellers came in from their nights out on the town!

• seansf's Profile Photo

Great hotel in French Quarter

Great hotel- part of W Hotel chain. Small rooms but very nicely furnished. Nice feather beds, down comforters, warm dark colors in the room. Bathroom was extremely large, my room only had a shower but it was a very large glass enclosed shower. Hotel has a small pool area. I was very impressed by this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Unique Quality: Great rooms and good location very near Bourbon street but far enough away from the crowds.

Directions: French Quarter

• Wilson's Profile Photo

W Hotel

Part of the W hotel chain, this hotel has a very modern feel. The hotel is relatively small and does not have a lot of extras or ammenities. The rooms are nice, but small. There is a small pool and spa on the 2nd floor. This hotel attracts a younger crowd.

Unique Quality: Great location just a few blocks from Bourbon Street in the French Quarter.

Directions: French Quarter

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Lavish Hotel in the Quarter

There are two W hotels in New Orleans, this one being the closer to the Quarter. The other W is the better known, with its AWESOME bar/lounge (Whiskey Blue) and MUCH nicer rooms. The other place also is double the price, so you'll have to make that choice. This place is still very nice and definitely will not disappoint. Price is about $220/night

Unique Quality: The beds are heaven! Fluffy, soft feather mattresses! Bacco's is the hotel restaurant, and gets great reviews, though I have not eaten there. More ammenities listed on their website:

"27-inch televisions with high speed internet access via wireless keyboards, VCR, CD player, iron and ironing board, multi-line cordless phone with dataports, speakers and conference calling capabilities along with voice mail. Pamper yourself with Aveda bath products, sumptuous towels and bathrobes."

Directions: http://www.usahotelguide.com/hotel/10003931-11240225O.html?ses=3039756b07e3e30af7727995163ab61386760

• Spencer18's Profile Photo

During Mardi Gras you want to...

During Mardi Gras you want to be near the action. Try to find a place (in a safe location) that is close to the french quarter. The W Hotel is fairly new and a good spot. During Jazz Fest it doesn't really matter as long as you are in a safe place - buses,cabs and trolleys will take you to the fairgrounds during the day.
    Regardless, your more inclined to pass out then sleep...so just look for a cosy place to crash

• SheDragon's Profile Photo

The W French Quarter

I am afraid to ask Hubby...he paid for the honeymoon, I enjoyed it, and I refuse to ask any questions that might take away from my having enjoyed it. :)

Unique Quality: The phones have a 'whatever whenever' button. Whatever you want, whenever you want, they will get it for you. You pay for it, but they will find it and get it for you.

More about W New Orleans French Quarter

French Quarter New OrleansFrench Quarter New Orleans

french quarter, New Orleansfrench quarter, New Orleans

French Quarter, New OrleansFrench Quarter, New Orleans

French Quarter, New OrleansFrench Quarter, New Orleans

Heading out solo...

by eric1g

I'm going to NOLA next week for a conference. Yes it is a boondoggle, because it is also Jazz Fest. I think this may be the quintessential boondoggle. The thing is I'm going alone and I'm 20 years younger than most of my conferees. So what's a 29-y.o. to do there?

Obviously I will be going out to hear some live jazz and probably hitting some bars, etc. But which ones are better (read: more likely to meet someone rather than sit alone all night) than others? Oh and I'm staying at the W Hotel French Quarter, was that a good choice? (We had a good corporate rate there!)

I'll let you all know how things go.

-Eric

by wing3

Your more likely to "meet" people in the clubs on the upper end of Decatur near the market and on Frenchman Street the other side of Esplanade. It's a safe walk up Decatur or an affordable cab ride. The W is an okay choice.

Cut loose at the Jazz Fest if you get the chance. Hanging at Festival with too large of a crowd slows you down.

by shashasharon

Frenchmen Block Party
Saturday May 1st
Cafe Brasil - 2100 Charters NOLA
frenchman is the best street in N'awlins..check my tips

Re: Re: Heading out solo...

by shashasharon

also I just came back from a conference where I was 29 years younger than most..still had some fun with ..nice to see people still having fun and able to bring it on

by Virtuous_Tourist

W Hotel has a pretentious lounge called Whiskey Blue.
Throw some money around and see what happens.

Your best bet is to find a place where live music is playing so you don't stand out as much and you have something to talk to people about.

Check out bestofneworleans.com, go to 'music listings'.

Frenchmen will be quite crowded - be forewarned.
If you're a 20-something year old hippy who likes Dave Matthews, its your scene.

Comments