Myrtles Plantation

7747 Highway 61, PO Box 1100, Saint Francisville, Louisiana, 70775-4526, United States

Satisfaction Average

More about Myrtles Plantation

Fool Me Once, Shame on You

by TripAdvisor Member HonestTraveler124

The proprietors of the Myrtles are making a mint (emphasize MINT) off of the reputation of the hauntings of this establishment, putting forth no effort to make an overnight visitor comfortable in even the most basic ways, and allowing their B&B to run itself by way of a very peculiar staff who have probably never traveled far off the beaten path of St. Francisville. Inside our room, the sheets were yellowed and worn, globs of mascara stained the pillowcases, the comfortor smelled of sweat and cheap aftershave. The bathrooms have not been updated or carefully cleaned since the 1970's - a tactic to keep us from using the facilities? I certainly didn't want to shower! Upon arrival I had a very strong urge to locate a Hefty lawn and leaf bag to dispose of the polyester flower arrangements placed all around the room and inside the fireplaces. The flowers were caked with dust and not attractive in the least. The crystals on the chandelier in the bedroom were covered with a dusty film, there was a cigarette wrapper on the dresser, and in the upstairs bedroom, someone had smashed gum to the wall. It reminded me of a decayed motel I stayed at on old Route 66 in Tucumcari . . . but I paid only $15 for that experience. Another disturbing element to the room was the very strong odor of mold and decay. We've stayed in European homes well over 900 years old that smelled fine. You get the picture, the room was not in the least worth the price and very difficult to stay in. But trying to relax outside the room on the porch was even more challenging. Noisy tour groups comprised mostly of teenagers, twenty-somethings, and the occasional group of "interesting" people tracked in and out of the house from the time of our arrival until well after dark. The highway runs in front of the property with cars, trucks and everything else roaring by. Trying to avoid the noise by strolling to the back of the property, you encounter piles of trash . . . and I mean it was a DUMP ! There's a lap pool with an inch of scummy water inside surrounded by flimsy chicken wire, and piles of debri here and there. Move to the front of the property . . . hordes of ghost hunting, big-gulp drinking tourists and the roar of the highway.
Probably the most interesting part of this trip was the tendency for all overnight guests to congregate on the porch and discuss the possibility of hauntings. And soon, the entire group fell into a conversation about how the rooms are very very shabby, overpriced and not worth it. We then proceeded to inspect every room. Please. give me some 409 !! Everyone was in agreement on that count. Publications for the Myrtles say "no smoking, no ouiji boards, no ghost hunters", yet our fellow overnight guests smoked, advertised their ghost hunting intentions (evidenced by the expensive equipment) and told of the girls who had the ouiji board out the night before. Who is minding the store here??? In the morning, we pushed our way through more tourists (the Corvette appreciation club - imagine the noise of those engines first thing in the morning!) to grab a cup of coffee and a pastry (the complimentary breakfast). Corvette club members yelled across the room "HOW MUCH YOU WANT FOR THIS ITEM?" asking us about the price of giftshop items, and asked us to serve THEM coffee. Hello Mr. Corvette man!!! We don't work here !!!. All in all, the experience provided interesting commentary on a segment of our nation's population, what they consider entertainment, and how business owners shamelessly take advantage. All Ms. Moss needs is a hot dog stand on the patio (with ghost fries and ectoplasmic goo to drink). This is not a peaceful retreat in the very least. For the price, I urge you to take your business to Madewood Plantation (which is also haunted). The Myrtles may be haunted, and an hours worth of amusement, but don't stay any longer. This is truly a tacky amusement park on the Mississippi. An inhospitable overpriced B&B. If I were able to flit unseen among the living who frequent the Myrtles, I too would play pranks on them out of sheer irritation on many many levels.

face in the window

I have been to the Myrtles twice. Each time gets better and better. It is true that the place is a little out dated, but you do not go there for luxuries. Our group rented the four bedrooms upstairs in the main house. We had a great time. Although nothing happened while we slept, we had several picttures that were interesting. The following morning we took a picture in front of the house. You can plainly see the face of a little girl looking out of the side lite of the front door. She seems to be smiling. We plan on going back again next year.

Myrtles Plantation needs improvement

by TripAdvisor Member katekate30

The breakfast was awful! I expect more than a prepackaged coffee cake and bananas from a place that touts itself as a premier bed and breakfast. Room was awful! What was enjoyable was the other guests we met there who kept us up late talking out on the porch so that when we retired to those tiny uncomfortable beds, we were too tired to notice how awful the beds truly were! And the onsite restaurant served an excellent dinner, had I known how awful breakfast was going to be, I'd have ordered two entrees!

Simply outstanding!

I was at Myrtles once and WILL go back. I'm a "city slicker" in need of something different. The Moss family is the most wondeful family you could meet. THEY CARE about innkeeping! It is a scary place!!! BUT scary in a great way! you feel a prescence, but it is a watchful and caring one. The inn is beautiful!!!

What a Joke...

If not for it's haunted reputation, the Myrtles Plantation would be out of business in matter of months. The breakfast is terrible, the prices for what is offered are shameful, and the management something else entirely. Every reputable bed and breakfast I have patronized has had charm and you've felt like a visitor in someone's home. This is FAR from it! It's more of a give-me-your-credit-card-here's-your-room-key kind of place. It's sad to see an old place like this fall into ruin from people trying to make as much as they can and not put anything back into it.

Good Time

by TripAdvisor Member toried

An overnight stay at the Myrtles is quite an experience to say the least. There are no televisions, radios or telephones at the Myrtles, but we weren't bored for a minute. We were thoroughly entertained throughout our two night stay. Guests are able to stroll the vast grounds which have many live oaks loaded with Spanish moss, or you can relax in the courtyard and listen to the water in the fountain and the frogs in the pond. The part of the house that is not open to the public except for tours, is fascinating with many furnishings original to the house. We took both tours and learned about a long ago way of life none of us could even imagine. This house is on the National Register of Historic Properties, and is a treasure. The Ox Bow Carriage House restaurant is beautiful with excellent food and friendly staff. Our room was not elaborate, but did have very nice antiques and was comfortable and very clean. The staff was friendly and willing to share stories or answer any questions we had about the house. We spent both evenings sitting on the rockers on the veranda talking with other guests, and when we retired to our room, slept very soundly. We experienced a few incidents that were hard to explain, but we weren't frightened at any time. Yes, the Myrtles is a bit pricey, but its like no other bed and breakfast we've ever stayed at.

Haunted or not, the experience was fantastic

I read various reviews of disappointment before I went to the Myrtles Planatation and happily found that the negative comments were not true. My wife and I not only enjoyed the stay, loved the staff and had fantastic food, but we will return. It seems those who have been offended were expecting the quality of a Hilton. We were not. We stayed in the upstairs, Judge Clark Suit and were the only ones in the house the night we stayed. No, we had no terrifying experience, but the thrill of just being there was unbelievable and, as I said, we will go back.

We found the staff to be some of the nicest people we ever encountered and overall, our stay was exactly what I expected, unnerving. We did experience some very strrange and unexplained activity while taking the tour, but no reason to even mention it as each person has, or will have, their own experience.

We shot a number of photographes and I am anxious to get them developed to see if anything we did not see appears, as has happened to others in the past.

This not not the Hilton and the accomidations are not the same. It is an old plantation house, full of history. Is it haunted? Search me, but I am not in a position to dispute the many guest, prior to me, that have had personal experience and, possibly during an upcoming return, we will, but time will tell.

Want to see a great haunted house. This is it and I recommend that, if you are going to stay, do so in the main house and, if at all possible, the Judge Clark Suite. That is a major center of attention.

worth the money

I dont know why everyone is saying that this place isnt nice and not worth the money, NO..Its not nice like Holiday Inn or anything like that..but its not suppost to be it was during the older days and its about the older days so of course its not gonna look brand new. I had an awesome time. IT IS HAUNTED! DO SEE FOR YOURSELF! IT IS WORTH THE MONEY!

Haunted or not, who cares?

I went in August 2003 and I'm going back July 2004 and will make going back a yearly trip. It doesn't really matter if it's haunted or not........IT"S PART OF HISTORY! And for that everyone should go......not just to The Myrtles but St. Francisville, La.

To each his or her own...

Upon my first visit to Myrtles Plantation, I was simply too excited for words. I had seen so much about it on television and talk shows, as well as heard stories about it from family friends since I was young.

However, after having visited the plantaion and staying the night there 4 separate times in 3 different rooms, I have to say that I do not believe that the Plantation is haunted in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

Most of the staff is so unbelievably nice. Some of the tour guides are annoying and misinformed. The continental breakfast is nothing special but good. As far as people saying that "this is not the Hilton" and "don't expect to have a luxurious time," all I have to say is, for the extremely exorbited prices the Moss's charge, we darn well better expect better than the Hilton, I myself having spent over $815, at least, at this plantation. The food at the Oxbow Carriage House is nothing but fantastic but highly expensive. It is also disappointing that you are only allowed to photograph one old, haggardly stained mirror in the entire plantation.

If you ask why I spent so much money, it is because I wanted to be absolutley sure of my resolution and I am.

I would, however definately suggest visiting the plantation, if nothing else but to see the splendor of an old southern home. Also, do NOT make up your mind about these supposed hauntings and experiences unitl after you have visited. And, throughout your entire visit, remember....the power of suggestion is one of the most efficient manners in which to profit.

Comments