6715 Financial Circle, Shreveport, Louisiana, 71129, United States
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

More about Shreveport

Shreveport, Louisiana restaurantShreveport, Louisiana restaurant

Henry Shreve's influence on the areaHenry Shreve's influence on the area

Standing at the entrance to the bridgeStanding at the entrance to the bridge

Avro VulcanAvro Vulcan

What to do?

by Rican27

I just recently got stationed here from Germany(bummer)and was wanting to know what there is to do here. I know it is not like being in Europe but I am already bored and do not like to gamble. Any help??
-Carlos

by blueskiedanclear

There's always drag-racing on the Clyde-Fant Parkway.

Seriously though, I was bored with Shreveport long before I ever left (it's my hometown) and after living in Europe for several years, I dread even visiting. My years there were mostly spent trying to get as far away as possible. What sort of thing do you like to do? Feel free to msg me, I'll help as much as I can.

by atufft

You are stuck in one of the lessor interesting places in Louisiana. I'd head strait to New Orleans and see what's happening in the French Quarter. Your right, it's not like Europe, but you should be able to beat German food. The food there rivals the French in sophistication, and that doesn't mean you'll have to pay a king's ransom to dine. Along the gulf coast should be plenty of lower price Cajun/Creole restaurants. I'm traveling there this winter myself, so I've done my research. It seems that a closer place to visit would be the plantation houses of Natchitoches and other little tourist towns. The swamp boat tours are around everywhere the wetlands are, so look around and see how close one is.

by sjjordan2002

What are your interests? I have lived in the area most of my life, and I agree there is not a lot to do, but it wouldn't be fair if you didn't give it a chance.

RE: RE: What to do?

by atufft

Thanks for the follow-up to my inquiry. Unfortunately, we have already returned home and can't take advantage of advice. However, we loved our visit to Louisiana. Natchitoches turned out to be a very pleasant place to stay a couple of days. We visited the old town and plantations in the area. Within a week or so I should have images and text posted at virtualtourist.com.

RE: RE: What to do?

by atufft

Whoops! I made a mistake. This was originally another member's inquiry, but I did appreciate the input by members. Check out my contributions of images and text within the next week.

Travel Tips for Shreveport

Try to be there when there is...

by jrlansdale

Try to be there when there is a city function. Such as Mud Bug, this is located downtown with good food, and great music and crafts. This is where I graduated from highschool, and where my family still lives. The area surrounding it is where one side of family has lived all their lives.

Yearly Events

by keeweechic

January : Mardi Gras In the Ark-La-Tex. This is a regional celebration of the carnival season which features parades, balls and other special events.

April : The NIKE Shreveport Open Golf Tournament is held in April. This is an annual event for professional golfers from throughout the country to come and compete for a fairly substantial winnings. It is held at Southern Trace.

May : Ark-La-Tex Jazz and Gumbo Festival. An annual weekend event of hot gumbo and cool jazz.

September : Annual Red River Revel Arts Festival. This is the largest outdoor festival in North Louisiana. This is an 8 day festival is devoted to presenting the most excellent in visual and performing arts.

State Fair of Louisiana - The fair features the biggest midway in the state with over 70 exhilarating rides to enjoy. The fair also hosts one of the best livestock showings.

Caddo Lake

by keeweechic

According to a Caddoan legend, Caddo Lake was shaped by an earthquake. It was alleged that an Caddo Indian Chief was warned by the Great Spirit to shift his village from the low lands. The Chief unfortunately disregarded the warning and one day while he and his men were out on a hunting trip, the ground started shaking and the village disappeared below the water of the newly created Caddo Lake.

Touchstone Wildlife & Art Museum

by vigi

features an unbelievable collection of over 1,000 mounted animals from around the world. While most of this collection is 'hands-off' they do have one display into which visitors are allowed to enter and touch the animals, which can make for a memorable experience.

Sci- Port Discovery Center

by keeweechic

Sci- Port Discovery Center is the only “hands on” interactive science museum in the state of Louisiana. There are exhibits for all ages plus national travelling exhibitions. There is also an Omnimax Theatre.

Comments