34579 Grantham College Road, Slidell, Louisiana, 70460, United States
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Travel Tips for Slidell

Biking, Walking, or Jogging the Tammany Trace

by msbrandysue

St. Tammany Parish is sort of like Harris County in Houston. It houses many different smaller cities. At least that's what I'm equating it with. In support of the beautiful landscape the parrish built 31 miles of connecting pavement for those to enjoy the tall pine trees and weather the area allows.

The Trace connects Covington, Mandeville, Abita Springs and Slidell. At each of the cities there is a Trailhead with places to use the restroom and facilities. There are also other attractions. I listed more pictures and information in my Things To Do Tips for each city.

The parrish and cities keep these trails upkept and beautiful. I have the 31-mile path on my list of things to do. But I was somewhat injured when I visited.

I also learned in Mandeville you can rent bikes to do the biking. I did not see them at Covington, Slidell or Abita Springs, though. Will need bike, water for the heat, and any safety equipment.

Swamp Tour

by msbrandysue

"Getting out on the River"

We were exploring the Pearl River when on our swamp tour. As you can see the water is quite brown but there are lovely trees all around.

"The Boat"

Because the summers are so hot, the tour boats were covered which brought much needed relief. Luckily, I brought a short-sleeve jacket, though, because I was on the end of the boat and got much more sunlight than others. And I sunburn very badly.

"Ahoy Mateys"

Two boats went out together. We stayed together at the beginning but eventually went our own way around this one section. Still, it was nice to be able to shout for help it we had needed it. :) (Total scaredy cat!)

"First Sightings"

Almost as soon as we left the dock we saw the biggest of all the alligators. I didn't get very good views though. But I was pretty shy to stand up and get in peoples' ways to get some good shots.

"Big Boy"

This alligator was HUGE and supposedly the mack daddy with a bunch of girlfriends... :)

"Dun Dun....."

Look at that tail! Craziness....

"Tour Guide"

This guy was a great guide. He really knows a lot about the river and the alligators. He's really outgoing and makes the trip a blast. (Will try to find his name in my notes...I wrote it down somewhere.)

Comments