The Charles Inn

Tags

Family Travel
See Amenities

Yikes

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 27, 2008

Oh, it's got character all right.. and not the kind you want to meet in a dark alley.

I consider myself fairly well traveled, and I like to stay in those non-franchised kind of places, which is why I chose the Charles Inn. But from the creepy broken glass covered "parking lot" to the smelly, dirty rooms, all I got was the feeling that I had mistakenly chosen a flop house. I had to request a room change when a toilet was filthy and the room smelled of seriously old.. something. In both rooms, the curtains were falling off, the pillows are circa 1979, and the rooms themselves have not been updated since.. 1979? Maybe earlier! Weird old scruffy furniture (and by old, I mean it has seen it all and lived to tell about it, only I don't want to hear the stories). It was the kind of room where I wore my shoes every where, didn't want to touch what I didn't have to, never unpacked, and slept with a light on. Don't make me tell you about the bathrooms. Thank god for the rickety in-window air conditioner to block out noise. The crappy tv on the old tv stand barely got local tv stations.

No wonder you pay upfront instead of at checkout!

And the "continental breakfast"? Stale creepy pastries, peeled boiled eggs, Eggo waffles and breakfast sausages on a platter with a nearby microwave. The juice was chilled, however, and they did have cereals available, and presumably fresh coffee. And there is WiFi available in the hotel lobby.

Overpriced is an understatement.

Directions: Downtown

Good Stay

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 30, 2007

Great historic restored building in the best location in Bangor. Large rooms, great atmosphere very comfortable. The common area with its antiques and ambiance was like stepping back to a different era. Very nice staff. Owner Connie very attentive to guest's needs. Terrific continental breakfast. Fellow lodgers were a delightful mix of folks from all over the country and world. A break for those seeking something outside the boring chain hotels.
ACS, Atlantic City NJ

Nearby The Charles Inn

The Charles Inn

• The Charles Hotel Bangor

Address: 20 Broad Street, (formerly The Phenix Inn), Bangor, Maine, 04401, United States

Amenities at The Charles Inn

• Wheelchair Accessible
  • Free Parking
  • Business Services
  • Pets Allowed
  • Continental Breakfast

Bangor Travel Forum

Need advice about Bangor, Maine? Visit the Travel Forum for Bangor and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bangor hotel reviews