Aysgarth Station Bed and Breakfast

20 Roberts Avenue, formerly Hatfield Inn Bed And Breakfast, Bar Harbor, Maine, 04609, United States

More about Bar Harbor

Jordan Pond- The glacier craved pondJordan Pond- The glacier craved pond

Z.Higgins & E.Higgins, died 1855 & 1856Z.Higgins & E.Higgins, died 1855 & 1856

JUST ONE OF THE GEDDY SIGNS TO LOOK FORJUST ONE OF THE GEDDY SIGNS TO LOOK FOR

Coast Guard SignCoast Guard Sign

First Timers

by LALadi

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Bar Harbor. We travel often, and have both always wanted to visit Maine. We picked Bar Harbor for the simple reason that we wanted somewhere right on the coast with quaint little local bars. Simple pleasures, that's us. LOL. Our goal is to visit small cities or towns where we can get a taste of local small town fun and culture. Is Bar Harbor a right choice for us or does anyone know of another place on the coast that we would enjoy. Also, we would prefer a B&B or small hotel. Any suggestions?

RE: RE: First Timers

by heywinks

Bar Harbor is quite small. It's beautiful though. If you've never been there, I highly recommend it. Acadia National Park is a great place to explore. There are some wonderful trails and hikes and sunset on Cadillac Mountain is amazing. The last time I went was the week before Memorial Day wknd. My friends and I hiked around Jordan Pond. It's a great hike and is leveled ground.

There are many choices for accomodations in the area. We rented a small cottage at Eden Village, www.edenvillage.com/cottages.html. I like the cottages cuz it's more private.

Geddy's in Bar Harbor is a great bar hangout. www.geddys.com

RE: RE: First Timers

by paulamos101

Bar Harbor is a great place to start. If you travel the coast south plan a visit in Camden and Rockport. Most windjammer cruises leave from that area. The windjammers are beautiful to see under sail and you can book a 3 to 7 day trip aboard... well worth the money if you have the time.

RE: First Timers

by aking1212

hi almost every 2 years me and mi family go to maine some places you should visit is old orchard beach its really neet there you should also go to lincolnville beach it so awesome but if you do happen to go inland i really recomend moosehead lake it is so pretty there

Re: First Timers

by cathy9510usa

I fell in love with Boothbay Harbor the first time I saw it and have been back many times. It is "quainter" than Bar Harbor, in my opinion, but I love to explore its streets.

See http://www.boothbayharbor.com/visiting.aspx

By the way, the movie Carousel was filmed here.

Travel Tips for Bar Harbor

Harbo(u)r Views

by Geoff_Wright

You really must walk around the dock area. From here you can get a ferryboat to Nova Scotia. On a day like the day we visited, the ferry trip would have been outstanding. Unfortunately we just ran out of time, and the sun was dipping ever lower in the early Fall sky even before we arrived.

Sea Kayaking

by where2next

Part of the reason I took a trip up this way was to specifically sea kayak. I had a fun time as we kayaked around the Bar Harbor islands. The weather was actually too rough to go kayak around Acadia. There are several outfitters in town. The one I went to was on Cottage Street - well just about everything is on this street or on Main.

Maine for Ribs?

by CraigT about Donahue's

We roamed the streets one night and were attracted by the rib special at Donahue's. We enjoyed an ample serving of ribs prepared in their own local brew. The accompanying red potatoes and brocolli made for a great meal. No room for dessert. Prices were quite reasonable. Would recommend for ribs. Ribs

Nostalgia !

by Canuck5 about Route 66 Restaurant

Nestled in an alleyway, the Route 66 Restaurant in Bar Harbor is an intriguing little place. It also goes by the name of "Freddie's Route 66 Restaurant".

Apparently, it used to be a church at one time, but has been since turned into a neat little restaurant, decorated inside with almost anything you can think of from the 50's and 60's. The menu includes a variety of dishes.

We were there for lunch, and it was worth the visit.

For pizza, hit Rosalie's

by Cabana_Boy about For pizza, hit Rosalie's

Rosalie's is a classic looking New York style pizza parlor. Black and white photos from LIFE magazine adorn the walls while old Dion, Elvis and Frank Sinatra tunes play on the jukebox. Naturally, all the tables have the classic red and white table cloths. The apparent gray-haired owner/operator carefully overlooks the staff tossing the pies while mingling with his patrons. Hand tossed pizzas made with fresh ingredients...my fav is hamburger, sausage, mushroom with black olives...with one of Maine's best local brews, Shipyard Ale (made down in Portland, Maine).

Comments