Black Friar Inn

10 Summer Street, Bar Harbor, Maine, 04609, United States

More about Bar Harbor

Northeast HarborNortheast Harbor

Looking over Frenchman's BayLooking over Frenchman's Bay

THIS SIGN DIRECTS YOU TO A HUGE T-SHIRT SELECTIONTHIS SIGN DIRECTS YOU TO A HUGE T-SHIRT SELECTION

Bass Harbor Head Light from Cliff TopBass Harbor Head Light from Cliff Top

Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Bar Harbor

by pmatch

Bar Harbor Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort has some bad reviews online. At $160 per night, is the hotel as run down as I am reading online? Not many other accommodations are available the weekend I am in Bar Harbor.

RE: Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Bar Harbor

by WheninRome

I don't know anything about the Holiday Inn Sunspree (I'm not much on resorts), but if camping interests you at all I had no problem reserving a site recently at one of the private campgrounds. I booked at Somes Sound Campground in mid-August. A waterfront site also.

Good luck.

RE: RE: Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Bar Harbor

by heywinks

Have you looked into cottages? They are very reasonably priced and private. I stayed at Eden Village the last time I was up there:

I would stay there again.

RE: Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Bar Harbor

by pmatch

Thank you for the wonderful replies, however, I need a hotel/motel accommodation on this particular trip. The Sunspree appears to fulfill the physical requirements, but I am apprehensive about the negative reviews I have been reading. If anyone has information on this Holiday Inn, I would appreciate your opinion.

Travel Tips for Bar Harbor

The Village Green

by Stephen-KarenConn

The Village Green, which lies between downtown Bar Harbor and the Atlantic Ocean, is a busy yet Idyllic spot. It is the perfect venue for a stroll, a picnic, or people watching. there are lots of places to spend money in Bar Harbor, but here you can just relax, soak up a few rays, smell the salt air, and wish that summer could go on forever.

Bored with just hanging out at the Village Green. Within a block you can find fascinating museums, quaint shops, fine restaurants, scenic hiking trails, natural or historical tours, and ships that will carry you around the bay or away to a foreign land.

Bar Harbor Maine

Bar Island Trail

by Stephen-KarenConn

There are numerous hiking opportunities in and around Bar Harbor. One of the most interesting, and within shouting distance of downtown Bar Harbor, is the Bar Island Trail. This is a very easy trail but still one which has a special sense of adventure - even a certain bit of danger. It can only be hiked at low tide, when a gravel bar is exposed that connects Bar Island with the mainland.

Bar Island is a small uninhabited, forest covered island which is a part of Acadia National Park. It is within easy view of Bar Harbor, but is a world away. If you get caught on the island after the tide comes in, you will have several hours to wait before you can return to the mainland. Be prepared.

Directions:You may find the Bar Island Trail by following Bridge Street off West Street in downtown Bar Harbor.

Tasty !

by Canuck5 about The Top of the Hill Restaurant.

A nice place along Route 102, as you're driving into Southwest Harbor, Maine. Nothing real fancy, but both the food and the service were great .

I believe the restaurant also goes by the name of "DeMuro's Top of the Hill Restaurant."

The prices at many of the restaurants in and around the Mt. Desert Island are a bit on the high side. One way to cut the cost a bit is to pick a restaurant that has "early bird specials" between 4 and 6 or 6:30 pm. We happened to get there around 5:30 pm, and selected from the "early bird" menu. The entrees were in the USD$9.50 range.

Show up an hour later at many of the restaurants in the area, and you can expect just your entree to cost $20. and up.

Our entrees, plus a bottle of beer and a glass of wine, came to about $30., which I felt was reasonable.

There are many, many restaurants in the area. Be sure to pick up a free copy of a flyer that has the menus of many of these restaurants. We got our copy at our hotel. I had the stuffed baked Haddock. It was tasty and a good portion was served.

Cafe This Way

by parivers about Cafe This Way

A very nice cafe just off of the main village green. We reserved a table in the morning while they were serving breakfast, thank god we did as when we returned at night, they were chocker and had to turn people away. Our table was ready on time and the meal was very good. Desserts were excellent and I'd recommend this place to anyone.

Other spots I liked were the...

by travelmad478

Other spots I liked were the Quiet Side Cafe (Southwest Harbor), the Little Notch Cafe (Southwest Harbor), Jordan Pond House (in Acadia National Park), the Thirsty Whale bar (Bar Harbor), and Blueberry Hill Ice Cream (just off the island on the road to Bangor).

Comments