Coach Stop Inn Bed and Breakfast

715 Acadia Highway, Bar Harbor, Maine, 04609, United States

More about Bar Harbor

exercise for a sailorexercise for a sailor

Agamont Park colorAgamont Park color

MORE WALL DECORATIONSMORE WALL DECORATIONS

Stewman's SignStewman's Sign

about to propose in bar harbor..help me :)

by peterpiper2

Hi All!

I'm very excited because I'm about to propose and want to do it in Maine, and more specifically in Bar Harbor!

My girlfriend loves maine but has never been to bar harbor; i have and want to share this with her and propose to her there!

What are some great places to stay and eat in Bar harbor? What I'm thinking of is staying at Atlantic Oaks and having a nice lobster dinner there on friday night, then going up early saturday morning to cadillac mountain and proposing as the sun rises. I realized it's going to be a bit cold (we're goind oct 20th), but we'll just bundle up!

Any suggestions on what else to see, places to eat, drink, etc. What are good trails to hike up cadillac mountain?

Thanks!!

Peter

RE: about to propose in bar harbor..help me :)

by luv2laughlots

Cadillac Mountain Proposal at Sunrise! AWESOME! Good Call! We just got back from Bar Harbor. You are going at the primo time. You're right it will be chilly, but bundle up and enjoy the scenery! you might want to stop by Jordan's Pond (it's in the Arcadia Park. Awesome Clam Chowder or Lobster Stew. They have these wonderful popovers (great pastry)! The restaurant overlooks the pond. It is a great warm up when you've got a chill in you. Also check out Gayln's on Main Street. They have wonderful seafood and I didn't try the prime rib (I guess that's what all the locals get to eat there), but I did check out one that was being served to the table next to us! Looked yummy! To me, it was the best upper scale restaurant that we ate at and was really reasonable priced! They paid attention to the small details. For instance they had a grilled spicy shrimp appetizer with this home-made honey mustard sauce for dipping. It was above and beyond any honey maustard sauce I have ever tasted! We also tried the Quarterdeck. It was right on the water, great scenery, but the food was just "okay" and a little pricy for "just okay" food. We also did this romantic sunset sail one night. There was a brochure down at the pier. They sail out of Bar Harbor and Southwest Bar Harbor. It was great because it was only us, another couple, and the couple that handled the boat. The couple that ran the boat was very informative on a lot of things from island history to critters in the water. I wouldn't recommend doing the sailboat that packs in like 75 people and is about as romantic as cleaning the gutters. I'm sorry, I'm not really familiar with the Atlantic Oaks so I can't help you there. Also check out Carmen Verandah's for bands and night life. They are also on Main Street. Your best bet is to talk to a friendly bartender and see where they go and hang, and that's where you want to go! I hope you have a great trip and that all goes as planned! Congratulations in advance! No women could say "no" to a proposal on top of Cadillac Mountain! Good luck

RE: RE: about to propose in bar harbor..help me :)

by heywinks

Geddy's in Bar Harbor is a great place to eat:
Good food and atmosphere. I've been there several times.

I love the suggestion of proposing sunset at Cadillac Mountain. The best spot to watch the sunset is the first viewpoint on the left before you reach the top. It's a beautiful place and the sunset is AMAZING there.

Congratulations!

Re: about to propose in bar harbor..help me :)

by LaurenMaine

Why not take an eco sailing expedition? That'd be adorable. =)

Here's a good link--

Lauren

www.chickdirectory.com --> Hip Chick Talks Travel!

Travel Tips for Bar Harbor

Explore Acadia National Park! ...

by travelmad478

Explore Acadia National Park! The centerpiece of Mt. Desert Island is the main section of Acadia, which is one of the most pleasant and user-friendly national parks I've ever been to. It is full of hiking trails that serve all skill levels of hikers. A driving loop takes you all around the perimeter and offers dozens of opportunities to stop and explore little areas. In the main section of the park, there is a stable, a botanical garden filled with native plants in many habitats, and a lovely restaurant (the Jordan Pond House). Other bits of national park are also scattered around many smaller locations around Mt. Desert Island. From these, you can canoe and kayak, hike some more, take bikes or horses along the island's many miles of dirt/gravel roads, or just wander around the ocean's edge, poking into the endless tidal pools. To use all of the park's facilities, buy a weekly pass that allows your car to enter all areas (about $10). You can find out more about this park at http://www.nps.gov/acad/. I hiked every day around many of the park's well-maintained trails. This photo was taken on top of Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on Mt. Desert Island. (I cheated and drove up, but you can hike or bike if you have the energy.)

Don't forget your Mosquito Repellent!

by Jozzzef

You better pack some jungle-strenght Mosquito Repellent, you're going to need it especially when camping. Do and you will be fine, though. I had just one, on my way back from the shower to our tent on the campground!

Take some time to visit the...

by Cabana_Boy

Take some time to visit the other small villages on Mount Desert Island. There are several small coastal towns all over the Island:Otter Creek, Seal Harbor, Bass Harbor, Northwest Harbor, Somesville and Southwest Harbor. I thought Southwest Harbor is particularly cool with bookstores, antique shops, bars and restaurants . Much smaller than the already small size of Bar Harbor. Check out my Southwest Harbor page for more details.

LOBSTER POUND

by LoriPori about DOWN EAST LOBSTER POUND

When it comes to Lobster, the fresher the better and the tasty crustaceans are freshest when they are still alive. Lobster Pounds ensure tha public gets Lobsters while they are still kicking. hehe!When most people think of lobster pounds, they think of restaurants. However, the term originally referred to a means of live lobster storage that is still in practice today.

Lobstermen built the first lobster pound in a deep tidal creek on Vinalhaven Island in 1875. The “pound” was a pen in the creek that could hold a large quantity of lobsters. Water could pass freely into the pen, keeping the lobsters alive. The catch was stored there to wait until demand rose or until certain lobsters reached saleable condition.

The technique became popular within the lobstering industry. Lobster pounds began springing up in fishing villages all over the state and throughout New England. They would often be built on docks floating in harbors or in other calm bodies of salt water. Fishermen could easily access their catch when the time was right to sell.

The DOWN EAST LOBSTER POUND offers fresh local seafood - fresh crab & Lobster Rolls and homemade "Chowda". You can eat in at their outdoor patio or take-out.

Please Don't Eat Here!

by emilienoelle about The Chart Room

The Chart Room is located about two miles outside of the downtown part of Bar Harbor, and looks pretty nice from the outside. It's a cute little place overlooking Hulls Cove, with water-view tables outside. It's a seafood place primarily, and you might think: how could a cute little place in Maine overlooking the water possibly have bad seafood? That's what I thought, too. The truth is though--and I don't say this lightly--that the Chart Room served just about the worst lobster I've ever eaten (and I'm from New England, so I've eaten more of them than the average person). It was horrible: dry, shrunken, tasteless. I felt badly for the poor creature, giving up its life only to be cooked so poorly. The other bad part about The Chart Room (in case this isn't enough) is that the service here is terrible! We were spending a decent amount of money and the waiter couldn't have cared less. He was abrupt and curt--barely even polite--and acted like he couldn't wait until we left. The last straw is that The Chart Room isn't cheap. It's more expensive than some downtown places. My guess is that they're counting on the business of people unfamiliar with New England seafood, or don't really care about repeat business because most of their customers are on vacation. Either way, avoid it. There are plenty of better places to eat!

Comments