4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Hotelsclick.com Travelocity Otel.com

Costs 78% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Harborside Hotel & Marina

Beautiful place to stay!

We were somewhat skeptical after reading some of the previous reviews. However I have to say we were pleasantly surprised. Our room had a glorious view of the beautiful new pool and the harbor peir area. We found it delightful! The staff was accomodating, the breakfast outstanding, overall it was very nice. Yes, there is still construction going on, but it did not interfer with our stay. We enjoyed being so close to the downtown area. I would definately recommend this hotel to friends visitng the area. We will be back!!

nice new room. no service!

by TripAdvisor Member taniabh

after reading some of the reivews i was a little worried. so i called the hotel to check the reservation 2 days before and ask about hotel internet. i was given confused information about internet acess. when i checked in the staff were rude and gave me a different rate and would not belive me about my orginal rate until i got my paperwork from the car. seems some rooms have internet free - but you need your own cable. i was told they had run out - but my husband gave a tip to a cleaner and suddnely a brand new one appeared.
the room we had was fairly large, new and clean. there was a tube and separate shower. we had a balcony that over looked the parking lot.the view did not really bother us as we were not in the room too much.a note if you have a problem with walking our rooms was miles from the reception. there is still construction going on but we were not bothered by noise. no guide books ,hotel info or clocks in the rooms. there is a free breakfast, but seems guests have a strange system of loading up the trays of the coffee machine and taking it to their rooms. something i have never seen before!
all the front desk staff were rude all the time. also the things other reviews said about students are true. if you get a good rate and do not care too much about service then stay here. i was not expecting too much. i think it is a case of a hotel trying to be something it is not and the manager needs to get some new staff. but good room!

Great room with a view

This was our first trip to Bar Harbor & I wanted a nice new room with a view, which I got but after some discontent. We travel alot as I am a flight attendant. This was our 1st trip to Bar Harbor, so I reviewed what others had to say about this hotel on Tripadvisor.com. They were correct. Nice rooms, but poor staff & service.
I called on Sunday, before our arrival date of Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2004, to make the reservation. No airline employee discount rates available, but got a AAA rate of $202 for an "oceanview" room.
Saw on Travelocity 1 hour after making my reservation that the same room was listed for $166.
Called the hotel back (within 3 days of arrival - no cancelation allowed).
Upon arrival Tuesday, we were impressed with the location & general appearance. Nice pool (heated), etc.
The desk clerk could not find our reservation. I had the information in the car, but let her try to find it in the computer - NONE. She compensated for the mistake by upgrading our room to a deluxe king at the same rate. When I questioned the Travelocity rate, I was told they have alot of problems with that because although it is listed as Oceanview, the reservation is really for only the harborview which is very different.
Everytime I asked a question at the front desk later that day, no one seemed to have answers. The staff seemed uneducated to Bar Harbor.
Maybe with time things will get better. I would stay there again since the room & location were great. Nice breakfast in lobby is complimentary - muffins, fruit, cereal, juice, coffee.
By the way, the rooms with jacuzzi - it is outdoor on the balcony. Oh yes, this is a smoke-free building, but all rooms have great balconies - you can smoke out there.

Very Nice Hotel

We were very pleasantly surprised with this hotel after reading so many negative reports. The hotel is beautiful and the location can't be beat - walking distance to everything. Yes, some construction is still going on but it did not bother us and did not start very early in the morning. Ask for a harbor view room and you will not be affected at all. If you book a bay view room ask for the 2nd or third floor as the parking lot is on that side of the building. The room was spacious and very clean. The most comfortable bed we've slept in. The bathroom was large with a walk-in shower and full tub and was spotless. Someone mentioned that the tv was not well situated. It pulls out and swivels so you can see it from the bed. Only problem- no refrigerator and definitely no information in the room. Would definitely stay here again. Staff also very friendly.

Comfortable room, Convenient location

by TripAdvisor Member DKMtraveler

We just returned from a week of hiking, and thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Harborside. The location was excellent-minutes from Acadia, with no need to drive through Bar Harbor, yet within easy walking distance of restaurants and shops. The room was extremely comfortable, and the staff very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was quite good with a nice variety, and newspapers were delivered to our door every day. We plan on staying at the Harborside on our next trip to Bar Harbor.

Perfect Halloween Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member Akolea

I, too, read the reviews and called to confirm our reservation, I shouldn't have worried. We stayed the last weekend of October and their closing day was Nov 1. Lucky for us! The hotel was quiet, we had an excellent large room, second floor overlooking the harbor. The hotel extends out on a pier so it feels like you're floating on water. Gorgeous colors in the trees, an easy walk to town, very friendly town people as they batten down the hatches for winter. Bar Harbor Inn across the park looked very nice, but more crowded and active. Liked the feel of the Harborside. (If you book online be sure to print out your reservation. Upon checkout the computer gave us an incorrect room rate, which was quickly and nicely ammended by the front desk. No sweat).

No Soundproofing, very loud

by TripAdvisor Member NancyAtlanta

I was very excited about this new hotel that replaced the Golden Anchor. Our room was very nice with a view. Unfortunately, the balconies are not private. Location is great. The problem is the noise at the hotel. The new buildings have VERY little soundproofing. Our next door neighbors came in after we were in bed and we could hear EVERYTHING they were saying. We even heard them using the restroom! The doors in the hallway slam loudly and you can clearly hear when people are in the hall. I am not normally bothered by noise but this was unusually loud. It's a shame this nice new hotel does not have better quality construction. I agree with the others that the staff is young and not very receptive or friendly. Though the new buildings are pretty, I am hesitant to stay there again.

The Best in Bar Harbor!

by TripAdvisor Member Conde

Quite simply put... This hotel is the shining star for Bar Harbor! The property sits in an outstanding location, very nicely siutated in the centre of everything from great shopping, restaurants and within a walking distance to the whale watching excursions. Beautiful Acadia National Park is just mintues away. A big plus for this hotel is they offer a myriad of accommodation types, offering different views, sizes, and prices to suit evey need. All rooms are very nicely appointed, and the larger accommodations are absolutely luxurious. The suites provide large bathrooms with an oversized jet tub, a double headed glass shower, plenty of vanity space for two people and an optional kitchen. Historically, new properties require some fine tuning; however, it is quite obvious that the management and staff are pursing a 5 Star property. My visit to this hotel and the area was extraordinary and quite memorable. Upon completetion of the spa I am confident that this may very well be the most deluxe hotel in Maine.

Best Decision I Ever Made

After researching on the web and reading reviews on Trip Advisor for practically every accommodation in Bar Harbor, I settled on Harborside despite some negative reviews I read. This hotel can't be beat! The location was ideal. The view from the pool and dockside dining was spectacular. The room was devine. It was very spacious and all brand new. It was completely up-to-date in every way which was exactly what we wanted. Lucious linens. Big bathroom. Immaculate. Not a peep heard from the halls once inside our room. The location is perfect because it is steps from Main Street and all of the shops and restaurants and cafes. My 6 year old son had a wonderful time and we didn't have to worry about keeping him quiet like we would have had we stayed in a bed & breakfast. I would recommend this hotel to anybody and everybody.

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member bscs

This place was wonderful. We had a king size bed with harborview. Many rooms have partial private balconies but ours was fully private. The view was amazing. The room was very clean and the bed was so comfortable I wish I could bring it home. It was also very quiet. The pool was also wonderful it was clean and warm with a great view. The jacuzzi next to it was amazing it was so big! We had a package that included a meal at the BarHarbor Club next door. It was first class! The price was above our usual budget but it was worth every penny.

Sand BeachSand Beach

Sara and Bonnie wandering the cemetarySara and Bonnie wandering the cemetary

ONE ENTRANCE TO THE CAMPUSONE ENTRANCE TO THE CAMPUS

Low Tide SandbarLow Tide Sandbar

Bar Harbor in late Sept.

by goodfish

Just booked a week in Bar Harbor (Bar Harbor Motel) for the last week in Sept (23-30th) and could use some advice!

While too early for peak, will there still be some nice fall color that time of year? I expect chilly AMs and evenings but how much layering should I plan for during the day?

We're planning on doing a lot of hiking in Acadia and have a rough idea trail offerings but how hairy (really) is west Beehive? It's listed as a strenuous but see that quite a lot of people have done it. My other half isn't crazy about heights but he's also handled stuff I didn't think he could if it's not a real serious stretch (I don't think Precipice is a good idea for us).

How about recommendations for other fun small towns in the area, or good 1/2 day to several hour-length hikes outside of Acadia? Looking for great out-of-the-way places, and we'll have a car.

Which of the nearby islands are best to ferry to, and which ferries are the best deal? The mail boat to the Cranberrys looked interesting....????

Where do the locals go in the area? Would like to avoid the most touristy of almost anything and eat/drink/play where the natives do. We won't be packing anything but jeans and hiking-type clothing so not big on dress codes.

Have never been to Maine so I'm pretty excited - thanks for any advice you can throw my way!

RE: RE: Bar Harbor in late Sept.

by diver-x

I think you'll be able to see plenty of color up in Bar Harbor in late Sept. Of course, it's futile to try to predict the weather in New England, but my guess is you'll probably need at least a fleece sweatshirt or vest on top a sweater or heavy shirt for most of the day. Also a good windbreaker with hood will be essential - you'll have the Atlantic ocean breezes whipping at you from time to time.

We climbed the Beehive with a friend who is afraid of heights. She did freeze in a couple of spots but we were able to help her through it. She wasn't too happy for a good portion of the way up but once we got to the top, she said she was glad she did it, though she didn't need to do it again. I myself am not too fond of heights and there were parts where I really had to focus UP and not look down. However, the trail up is very short and I think we got up in about 45 minutes. We took an alternate trail down, which was very nice and we stopped for a swim at a pond on the way (this was summertime).

My husband and I did the Precipice (without our friend) and I would say that the 'worst' parts of the Precipice (or best, depending on how you look at it) were comparable to the Beehive. The difference is the Precipice trail is much longer. Check out photos at:

Another great hike is the Ladder Trail up Dorr Mtn, which starts at The Tarn. There are a couple of ladders on the trail but most of it is just regular hiking. I don't think your other half would have any trouble with it. Photos at:

We always use the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) guides to find good hiking trails - they come with topo-maps. They have a guide to Acadia that is worth the investment.

Happy travels!

RE: RE: Bar Harbor in late Sept.

by goodfish

Thanks for the great info, Sharon! We'll do Dorr Mtn. for sure, and take a look at Beehive. If nothing else, we can always back down the trail if the last challenging bit is too unnerving for him. I planned on picking up a good trail guide when we got there - checked out a book of Best New England Hikes from the library that'll be a good start as at least 23 are mapped out for Acadia. I'm delighted (!!!) that we'll have good color and will pack according to your advice - better to plan on the side of too many warm layers than not enough, eh? Can't wait - thanks again for your thoughtful insights!

Comments