Hearthside B&B

7 High Street, Bar Harbor, Maine, 04609, United States

More about Hearthside B&B

Very nice B & B

My wife and I just returned from a vacation in Bar Harbor and stayed at the Hearthside. Barry & Susan made our stay very enjoyable. Breakfast at the Hearthside is an adventure! The food is great and the hospitality cannot be matched.. Most of the other guests we met have stayed with Barry and Susan multiple times which speaks for itself. We will definetaly stay at the Hearthside again!

We'll be back soon!

by TripAdvisor Member jnk92

We recently returned from our first trip to Bar Harbor, and wanted to add our two cents' worth to the glowing reports The Hearthside has so deservedly received from its other guests.

We echo the other positive comments past guests have made and want to add that The Hearthside has spoiled us for all other B&Bs. What sets The Hearthside apart from other B&BS is the terrific hands-on rapport that Barry & Susan establish with their guests and their desire to help their guests enjoy Bar Harbor and Acadia to their fullest. (Also, the location can't be beat -- quiet for sleeping, yet a two minute walk to rent bikes, kayaks, etc. as well as restaurants, great pizza, two movie theaters and shopping)

Staying at The Hearthside enhanced our visit because we were able to make the most of our time -- Susan & Barry's ideas and suggestions for hikes and using their guide books helped us to find places and lesser known spots that we wouldn't have otherwise discovered. Aside from all the other things that one expects in a B&B: beautiful rooms, cleanliness, hospitality, great breakfasts, we feel it is Susan & Barry's warmth and helpfulness that sets the standard for B&Bs and truly sets The Hearthside apart from other places we've stayed. We can't wait to return next year!

Paradise Revisited

My wife and I first came up to Bar Harbor and Acadia to camp in 1969. Many years later (with the kids grown) we decided it was time to trade up to B & B's and stayed at the Hearthside in 1995. We've been back almost every year since. The inn is charming and all the rooms are lovely. The 2nd floor rooms are more spacious than those on the 3rd floor but our preferred room has been the Duke of Wellington on the 3rd floor.
Breakfast is always terrific as is the attitude of the hosts...Barry and Susan. We probably appreciate their knowledge of local restaurants and what is happening on Mount Desert Island the most. I can't imagine a better place to stay in Bar Harbor and we'll return again next year to revisit both a beautiful vacation spot and wonderful hosts.

loved the hearthside!

by TripAdvisor Member riches

my husband and i recently spent a week in bar harbor and staying at the hearthside was the highlight of our trip! not only did barry and susan make us feel at home but they were so helpful with advice on hiking ideas and dining choices. we can't wait to return to bar harbor just so we can stay at the hearthside again!

The cleanest inn we've ever visited

My husband and I have visited Bar Harbor several times. We only wish we had found the Hearthside sooner. Not only is the inn beautiful, but the rooms are generous and updated, and the hosts are entertaining and great cooks. Even more, the inn is clean, clean, clean. The bathtubs sparkle so much that you *want* to take a bath. And if you do, you'll see that up close, every inch is sparkles. We highly recommend a stay at the Hearthside, and we have already booked for next year.

Elegant but not pretentious

My wife and I spent our Anniversay at the Hearthside B&B and we couldn't have chosen a more friendly or romantic setting. We have stayed in several B&B's in Europe and the U.S. however, we have never been so well treated and made as comfortable as when at the Hearthside. Our 10 day stay at the B&B was, above all, clean. The proprietors we welcoming, kind, informative, intuitive and proactive in meeting our needs. The cleaning staff was 100% trustworthy and respectful of our property and privacy. The open door policy of the B&B made it simple to come and go as we pleased, which in turn made it pleasant to enjoy Bay Harbor's night life at our leisure. The bed was very comfortable, the fireplace functional and the breakfasts were complety delightful. Considering a lovely setting, adding a carriage ride in the park, a call to a local florist and a wonderful unsolicited personal touch from Susan and Barry (the proprietors), I was able to give my wife an exceptionally romantic anniversary. Thank you! Steve Zampa.

A Bar Harbor Gem

The Hearthside is the perfect place to stay in Bar Harbor. It is only three blocks from the shops and restaurants of Bar Harbor and the shuttle busses into Acadia National Park. It is never necessary to use your car unless you want to. The Inn itself is terrific. It is beautifully furnishished and immaculately clean. The breakfasts are superb without leaving you stuffy for the rest of the day. But the best part is the innkeepers themselves. Susan and Barry are delightful people to spend time with and are always ready to share their knowledge of Acadia and Bar Harbor and help you plan the perfect day.

What you should look for in a B&B

It was the perfect location for us. I really liked that it was on an offstreet, but right where you needed it to be in relation to the center of town: coastal walk, restaurants, bars, park, rentals, etc. I agree, Barry and Susan were very nice to us (even though we were Yankee fans!). We stayed in the room with the private balcony and really enjoyed that...it was so nice and romantic to just sit out there in the morning with some tea or after dinner and drink some wine. My boyfriend is a smoker and it was convenient for him to just sit on the balcony instead of having to go downstairs and outside. Unfortunately the bathroom isn't attached, but the private bathroom that is yours is at least very large! We ended up staying there two nights and went to another place for our final night...I wish we could have stayed here. Overall our experience was very pleasing. I couldn't believe that most of the guests were return visitors...at first it made us feel out of place, but then realized that we lucked out to be able to stay there...they really have a good thing going.

Home away from home

Staying at the Hearthside was truly an outstanding experience. Susan and Barry were gracious hosts. We could not have selected a better site if we had tried. The food was great, with a wide variety. The accommodations were cozy and comfortable-home away from from home. The hospitality was warm and friendly. This was our first experience staying in a B & B. It is said, "that you never get a second chance to make a first impression". Barry and Susan passed the test with "flying colors", and needless to say, we'll be back!!

Felt Right at Home!

The Hearthside was the perfect place for us to stay while in Bar Harbor. I ran in the Mount Desert Island Marathon and the central location, with a short walk to the starting line, was ideal. Our hosts, Susan and Barry were great! Susan had coffee on early for me on the morning of the marathon and they were anxious to hear about the race on our return that day. The food was fantastic! We will definitely return.

big hats!big hats!

Get your walking map and go walking around townGet your walking map and go walking around town

Downtown ShoppingDowntown Shopping

Whale MuseumWhale Museum

Looking for Bar Harbor kennel

by sueb20

Can someone recommend a kennel in Bar Harbor? We're staying in a hotel that does not allow pets at the end of July, and would prefer to board the dog closeby instead of at home, so we can take her out for part of the day. I have seen Acadia Woods Kennel mentioned on various web sites. Does anyone know if they're any good? other suggestions? Thanks.

RE: Looking for Bar Harbor kennel

by Kayaklady

Acadia Woods Kennel is the only kennel on the island. The next closest is Downeast Boarding Kennel in Ellsworth (207)667-3062. My secretary uses Acadia Woods whenever she goes on an extended vacation with noone available to take care of them at home. I don't have a dog, so I can't give you any personal feedback.

Enjoy your visit,

Laura

RE: Looking for Bar Harbor kennel

by dallasisland

I have boarded my dogs at Acadia Woods for years- they are the best Ive ever seen- caring people, large quarters and playtime. I travel extensively in the winter with my pets, and wish i could take Acadia Woods with me.

Re: Looking for Bar Harbor kennel

by mame45

The Bar Harbor Kennel Club boards dogs. They have day-care and over-nights. They have two locations on the island. One is right in the village of Bar Harbor. It's a home setting, immaculate, and very reasonable. We boarded our dogs there last summer, and they loved it. Google 'Bar Harbor Kennel Club Facebook', and click on the 2nd entry that comes up. Their facebook page has all the info, I believe.

Comments