Ivy Manor Inn & Michelle's Fine Dining

194 Main Street, Bar Harbor, Maine, 04609, United States

More about Bar Harbor

Another Future PaintingAnother Future Painting

The view of Frenchman's Bay from Agamont ParkThe view of Frenchman's Bay from Agamont Park

The Bar Harbor Inn, on Frenchman's BayThe Bar Harbor Inn, on Frenchman's Bay

Miss SamanthaMiss Samantha

Where to stay

by stiminski

My husband,myself and our 18 month old daughter are planning to visit Acadia this summer. We are looking for a nice place to stay which will be close enough to the park for hiking during the day, close to restaurants for dinner and nice so when she goes to bed around 7pm we can enjoy a nice view. Any ideas?

Thanks!

RE: Where to stay

by diver-x

Welcome to VT! Well, pretty much any place in or around Bar Harbor will be just a few minutes' drive to Acadia so no worries about proximity. Sorry, I always camp when I go there, so I don't have any hotel recommendations, but have you found the VT Bar Harbor travel guide section yet? There are a bunch of recommendations there.

Good luck and happy travels!

Re: Where to stay

by luv2laughlots

We stayed at the Snell House. It is 1 block off the main drag of Bar Harbor. It has off street parking, you can walk to anywhere in town. It is far enough away to be peaceful and quiet, but close enough. All the rooms have kitchens and all the basics of home. Very reasonable. They have a beautiful garden out back and a private path to the beach. The owners live in the house behind the Snell house, they are there if needed, but they give you privacy. We will never go to Bar Harbor without staying there. Hope you have a blast! It is beautiful country up there and beautiful people.

Oh the website to the Snell House is:

Rhoda's Room is on the ground floor and is my favorite!

Travel Tips for Bar Harbor

Hike 'til you drop

by diver-x

Acadia National Park covers a large part of Mount Desert Island, where Bar Harbor is. Hiking oportunities are too numerous to list. We climbed The Beehive, which is a short climb up a steep cliff with spectacular views of the mountains & Bar Harbor at the top. A couple of other good hikes are The Precipice and the trails around Jordan Pond. Beware if you are afraid of heights: The Beehive and the Precipice are probably not for you if you get week in the knees in high places. We saw several panicked climbers on our hike. The Parks Service has installed short ladders and railings in some spots to aid the mostly inexperienced climbers who make the attempt. Even so, most people find the climb both physically and psychologically challenging.

Try the local beer

by diver-x

There are a few local breweries of interest on Mt. Desert Island. We tried some from Bar Harbor Brewing Company and Maine Coast Brewing Company. Both the Cadillac Mountain Stout (Bar Harbor Brewing) and the Black Irish-Style Stout (Maine Coast) are highly recommended.

A Walk in the Park, by Tom St. Germain

by pintoisgod

This guy Tom St. Germain, who is a marathon runner and a local, wrote this hiking guide called "A Walk in the Park." It is a very unique guide that has a whole lot of information about the trails and Acadia National Park history.
He sells the book, and many other Acadia National Park books and Maps locally, and he owns Jack Russell's BrewPub & the Maine Coast Brewing Co.
He loves to chat about abandoned trails and their respective GPS Coordinates over one of his homemade beers. Seek the book. I promise you will find it handy. Almost every home on the Island has a copy.

Horrible--Avoid

by emilienoelle about Acadia Cafe

This used to be a great place. I have no idea what happened between the first few times I came here and the present, but it's gone WAY downhill. The menu is very limited, and everything costs three times as much as it should ($9.99 for an omelet?). I might be able to overlook this if it weren't for the fact that the food was TERRIBLE. I'm talking shells in the eggs, English muffins that are barely toasted, cold and with NO butter (and none in available), burned bacon, undercooked potatoes, you get the idea. Add this to some of the most horrendous service I've ever experienced (no cream for the coffee, no fork, no napkins, no coffee refills) and you get a total nightmare. Go downtown instead. There are a bunch of much better (and cheaper) breakfast places! They used to make really good blueberry muffins. No idea what happened to those!

Kind of Touristy

by emilienoelle about Log Cabin Restaurant

Located on Route 3 past most of the hotels, this place looks cute from the outside, a real log cabin with a wooden carving of a moose out front. The problem with it was that it's pretty much a tourist trap. The food is just OK, not very good, not terrible, and more expensive than other places in town. Their salad bar was on the skimpy side, which bummed us out because we really like salad bars. They do have a wide variety of things on the menu though, which I guess would be good if you had a large group of people who were picky eaters.

I got the lobster, and it was pretty much the worst lobster I've ever had. It was so small that I doubt it was more than just barely legal size, and it was soft shelled (which they didn't tell me) so there was hardly any meat in it at all--just a lot of water. My daughter got the clam chowder, which she only ate two bites of because it was so salty. All in all it was pretty disappointing.

This restaurant also has a gift shop on the premises, which sells a lot of touristy junk if you like that kind of thing. They have a breakfast buffet in the mornings as well, but after our dinner experience there we weren't about to try that.

Comments