Maples Inn

16 Roberts Avenue, Bar Harbor, Maine, 04609, United States

More about Bar Harbor

how did he do that?how did he do that?

Bonnie and Sara in Agamont ParkBonnie and Sara in Agamont Park

WALL "DECORATIONS"WALL "DECORATIONS"

Acadia CafeAcadia Cafe

Backpacking trip

by Traceyfromnj

Hi all,
Looking to do a 4 day packpacking/hiking trip in Acadia in the beginning of September. Having a difficult time with the planning (i.e. which trails I should hit). If anyone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Many thanks,
Tracey

RE: Backpacking trip

by heywinks

Hi. I've only been on one trail in Acadia...the one around Jordan Pond. But a great resource in Acadia's main website:

There's an excellent map of the island itself and a list of trails ranging from easy to difficult. Check out that trail map at:

Have fun in Acadia and Bar Harbor. I love visiting there! :)

Travel Tips for Bar Harbor

MOUNT DESERT ISLAND

by LoriPori

Home to Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, historic Bass Harbor Light and many charming towns and villages, MOUNT DESERT ISLAND is a natural wonderland, boasting more than 80 species of wildlife and 17 mountain peaks.
The largest town on the island is Bar Harbor, which began attracting summer visitors in the mid 1800's - mostly prominent families whol built lavish summer "cottages". The Rockefellers and others left a legacy for future generations when they established the land preservation trust that became Acadia National Park. Here you'll find Cadillac Mountain, the highest point on the eastern seaboard north of Rio de Janeiro.
The eastern half of the island is the most populated, with both Bar Harbor and the summer colony of Northeast Harbor. On the quieter western side are Southwest Harbor, the island's largest fishing village and other interesting and unique villages, including Bass Harbor, Bernard, Manset, Sewall, Somesville and Tremont.

The best sea kayaking experience

by MaineTrekker

We have been to Bar Harbor on several occasions. In the past we have gone out with two of the local sea kayak guide services. One of them was with Coastal kayaking in Frenchman's Bay which was not a great experience. The guide was very young and didn't really seem to care about the job he was doing.
The other time was with National Park Sea Kayak Tours. Their tour guide was a lot better but we had to drive to the other side of the island from Bar Harbor and it took longer than they said it would and despite the lousy guide from Coastal kayaking we still proffered paddling in Frenchman's Bay to paddling on the west side of the island.
The narrow west side of the island was nice but it just didn't have the wide open views, huge island cliffs, and majestic beauty of Frenchman's bay.
On our third time out sea kayaking in Bar Harbor we hit the jackpot. We went out with Acadia Park Kayak Tours in Frenchman's Bay. The owner of the company, who apparently also does most of the guiding, was an incredible guide who knew the answer to every question about the area that we thought to ask. He also taught a little natural history and promoted some ocean environmentalism in a very informative way that didn't seem preachy and that we really appreciated.
We also really liked the fact that this company limits its open tour groups to six people or less. On the two previous trips we did with the other outfitters we were in groups of twelve and it just seemed like too many people for the guides to be able to coordinate things well, especially the Coastal guide.
If you go sea kayaking definitely go out with Acadia Park Kayak Tours.
We didn't take pictures but a pulled a couple off of Acadia Park Kayak Tour's website.
The other thing we did that we loved was climbing with the Atlantic Climbing school.
In fact I think I will write a review for them as well. Acadia Park Kayak Tours provided all of the equipment

The Maine Menu

by Geoff_Wright about Various

Bar Harbor has a wide array of wonderful restaurants which sadly we were not able to sample. Naturally lobster and other seafoods are the top favourites in the town. There are, of course, other specialities to cater for all tastes.

Do look at the website here, which lists some of the better known establishments in the town.

Quarter for the view, but not the food!

by luv2laughlots about THe Quarterdeck

It has ambience, and it is right by the water, so there is plenty to see as the boats come in. That's it's highlight and really only light! Well I take that back, the service was also pretty good! The food was rather expensive, but we thought we were worth it that particular night! We were worth more than what we got. I had the lazyman lobster dinner with clam chowder. I've had better chowder from a can of Chunky Soup. The lobster was minimal and rubbery. My husband had a lobster feast. With his dinner came a piece of Blueberry pie and ice cream! I will admit, that was pretty good. I just wasn't very impressed by any of the other food. Later I found out from some of the locals that all there seafood is fresh, frozen and then cooked. That's why it wasn't impressive. However, I will admit, if you hadn't had seafood in awhile, you will think it's good. But once you visit some of the other places in the area, you will feel like you got jipped!

My Favorite!

by emilienoelle about Finback Ale House

This is a gastro pub offering locally produced, gourmet food and great wine and beer in a warm, cozy, elegant setting. The prices here are very reasonable and the service is always good even when they're very busy, which is often. I've eaten here every time I've been to Bar Harbor and have never been disappointed. It's all very good, but their seafood selections are fantastic. They also have a good variety of vegetarian options and serve local meats and veggies. Wine and beer list is great. Bread is all homemade, too. Note that they are closed during the winter months.

Comments