73 Mount Desert Street, Bar Harbor, Maine, 04609, United States

Expedia.com Priceline.com Tingo.com

• fourcatz's Profile Photo

Delightful Bed and Breakfast Inn

This was my first time staying at a Bed and Breakfast. It was quiet. The room had a ceiling fan and carpeting as well as a fireplace. The kingsize bed was quite comfortable. We had pourch with wicker furniture and awning. It was delightful to sit on the porch. We had access to a beverage refrigetor for water, juice and soda. There was Netflix DVDs availble that we watched one evening.
    It was close to Downtown and Transportation to Nova Scotia, as well as Acadia National Park.
    There were brochures to area attractions and an Eating Guide free for us to use during our stay. In addition, we had a phone in our room with free local calling. This really helped us in getting in touch with local Tours of Acadia National Park , Bar Harbor, and Mt Dessert Island.
    I would definitely stay here again!

Unique Quality: The Keepers were most cordial and accodating. They accomaded my wife's Vegetarian needs for Breakfast meals. The cooking was homecooking and most delicious! It wasn't greasy nor overly sweet as some meals served in restaurants. We had a double sink with large mirror and tub with whirlpool. There were plush towels and bath robes available to us. There were 3 different times breakfast was served; 8:00a.m. - 8:30 a.m - 9:00a.m. This was wonderful as it allowed us a healthy homecooked breakfast before heading out to tour the area!

Directions: Located right on Mt Desert Road which is main road leading into Bar Harbor. Only a few minutes from Post Office, Pharmacy, Waterfront, Restuarants and local shops.

More about Primrose Inn

First Primrose visit wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member PBJDeKalb_IL

This was our first B&B experience, and it was just great. Jeff and Catherine are terrific hosts, the inn is beautiful, the staff very accomodating, and the food was the highlight!
Jim and Paula Bryner

Great Hosts, Great B & B

by TripAdvisor Member Dayspring

We felt like guests in Jeff and Catherine's home as we arrived at the Primrose Inn. Jeff took no less than 20 minutes to show us around the inn and tell us about what it has to offer and also gave us tips about where to eat and what to do while we were in Bar Harbor! Breakfasts were superb, cooked and served by Jeff and Catherine. We were offered a choice of two hot entrees. Typically one egg dish and then depending on the day either pancakes, french toast, or waffles. Jeff even made the point of putting out a kid friendly cereal for my 11 year old daughter. In the afternoon we enjoyed fresh fruit and fresh baked cookies. The rooms were beautifully restored, and the bathrooms updated with new tile floors, turkish towels, curved shower curtains, hair dryers, and night lights. My only comment is that the doors in this 1800s victorian house are a little squeaky and sometimes loud to open and close. The location can't be beat within walking distance of everything including Acadia. We just ran right out the front door and out to the miles of carriage and hiking trails. Thanks for a great stay, we wish we could have stayed longer. A++

Very comfortable but not as magnificent as we expected

by TripAdvisor Member aminal100

We booked one of the more expensive rooms at this inn based on the great reviews we read, but were disappointed with what we got for the price (even though we got an upgrade!). The inn is beautifully kept, and as others have said, the owners provide a number of resources for various activities in and around Bar Harbor. You also have your own reserved parking spot, which is a really nice touch. While we found Jeff to be quite friendly, his wife barely said hello to us, which we thought quite strange. The flat screen tv the website mentions is about 17" in size. The breakfast was not as I expected for a B&B either -- I came away still feeling hungry.
I'm not sure if I would stay here again -- perhaps in a cheaper room if available.

Absolutely loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member EHM1954

Everything was just perfect, from the beautiful room that we were so fortunate to stay in, to the delicious breakfasts & most of all our very gracious hosts; Kathryn & Jeff Shaw. We will certainly make the Primrose Inn our place to stay when we visit Bar Harbor again.

Gene & Nancy Madaio, Troy, N.Y.

Bed & Breakfast & So Much More...

by TripAdvisor Member SFtravelers11

I don't think my skills with the pen, or in this case the keyboard, can do justice to the tremendous experience we had at the Primrose Inn. Not only was the entire Inn beautiful in every aspect of the house (from the breakfast area to the outside area to the room), but Jeff and Catherine really care about their guests and succeed in making everyone feel well cared for. No detail is too small and as a guest you could not want for more.

I could thus go into a very long winded story about how incredibly nice both Jeff and Catherine were to us. From the beautiful bouqet of roses they gave to us for our honeymoon to the constant care they had for us when my wife fell ill, even giving us some of their own dinner as my wife was having a hard time eating due to her not feeling well. Or I could tell you about the best salmon and baked egg dish I have ever had in my life. Or about the most delicious blueberry pancakes or homemade chocolate chip cookies, but this would deprive you of experiencing some of these things for yourselves.

So let me leave you with this. We will definitely be going back to the Primrose Inn as soon as we can (even though we live in CA). If Jeff and Catherine moved to some other place, we would change our plans and go there instead. Jeff and Catherine have a beautiful property in the Primrose Inn, but more importantly they are both beautiful people and once you have been a guest at the Primrose Inn, you will know what I am talking about. Look no more for this has to be the best B&B I have ever been to and I am definitely recommending this to all my family and friends.

Thanks for making this such a wonderful stay Jeff & Catherine. We will cherish this memory forever.

Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member soomac

My husband and I just returned from our first visit to Bar Harbor. The Primrose Inn is a lovely B&B, near shops, reaturants, a laundromat and only 1 mile from Acadia National Park. We stayed in the Holland room on the ground floor which was spacious, had a very comfortable king-size bed, a large bathroom and a separate entrance. The breakfasts were varied and delicious. Jeff, the innkeeper even did some on-line research for us when we left to find us a place to stay in the next town we were stopping at.
Eat at Maggie's and spend lots of time in the park!

Lovely Place!

by TripAdvisor Member Libralady

The Primrose Inn is picture perfect and just as comfortable and lovely inside as the outside promises. Jeff, the innkeeper gave us a nice tour of the downstairs, then took us to our beautiful room. Our room was made especially comfortable by having a separate sitting area. Everything possible is provided in the large bathroom, including plush towels and a new curved shower rod. The B&B is very accessible to the downtown and harbor area, a very easy walk, and is also an easy drive to Acadia national park. There were two choices every morning for breakfast, and everything was delicious. A special perk of the Primrose Inn is the delicious afternoon refreshment with coffee, tea, and fresh baked goodies, and fruit, a very nice treat. We also enjoyed rocking on the large porch and admiring the beautiful hanging baskets and garden area. Thanks to Jeff and Catherine for their hospitality and wonderful B&B.

It's Like Going Back in Time

by TripAdvisor Member PlainTraveler

We were 2 retired Chicago Public School teachers stopping at 13 different hotels during a 14 day road trip throughout Canada and the New England States. Jeff and Catherine Shaw really put their heart and soul into their B & B. We were given a room with outside access. Room 9. Jeff took us around and went through the Top 12 Things to Remember While a Guest at the Primrose Inn. He told us about restaurants in the area and points of interest. There were complimentary beverages 24/7, specialty breakfasts, afternoon pies with coffee and tea, flat panel TVs with DVDs , DVDs and or Netflix DVDs to watch, luxurious linens and towels, a morning paper, cookies at the front door. You name it: they had it, even maple syrup and Primrose Inn bags for sale. Smoking was not listed, and we were told to smoke outside at one of the 3 Adirondack chairs. If we smoked anywhere in the B& B, we would be fined by the Bar Harbor police up to $1,000 and charged $300.00 for a cleaning fee. I loved the place, but I felt like I couldn’t get the washcloths dirty. We had to be on our best behavior. Not that we wouldn’t be.

Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member ethne30

My husband and I have just returned from a month in Eastern Canada and New England.We stayed in B&Bs most of the time and The Primrose Inn was the best! From the moment we arrived,tired after a ferry ride, being the last in a long queue at customs and having a long wait for a taxi ,nothing was too much trouble for Catherine & Jeff,the Innkeepers.This kindness and attention to detail continued throughout our four night stay.Everything about The Primrose Inn is just right.The room was very comfortable with our own private bit of porch to sit on,the breakfasts superb and the home baking in the afternoon made us hurry back every day.
The Primrose Inn was very well situated within easy reach of the village and of public transport,important for us a we didn't have a car.We really enjoyed Bar Harbor and hope to be back one day,and when we do we'll definitely stay at the Primrose Inn.Thanks Catherine and Jeff.

Comments