Grand Summit Resort Hotel and Conference Center

Skiway Rd. and 97 Summit Rd, Sunday River Ski Resort, Bethel, Maine, 04217, United States

Satisfaction Average

More about Bethel

Welcome to MaineWelcome to Maine

Beautiful Downtown Bethel, MaineBeautiful Downtown Bethel, Maine

Fun things to do in around the border of New Hampshire & Maine

by junketqueen

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to New Hampshire & Maine the third week of July. I'm 43, he's 39. I'm looking for fun things to do while we're there. I don't want to be bored. My boyfriend lived in Bethel, Maine (for a couple months) when he worked on the pipeline years ago, so he knows a little bit about that area.

He wants to take me to see Mount Washington, in New Hampshire. He also wants to show me the sites in Conway, NH and Bethel, Maine. However, I want to surprise him with something to see.

We both love the outdoors, but we're not into hiking or whitewater rafting. We would consider going canoeing. My boyfriend loves to fish.

We will be staying around the North Conway area for a couple days. Then traveling onto Bethel, Maine for a couple days. After that, I don't know where to go or what to do. We would be willing to travel to any relatively close place around that area. A couple hour drive would be fine.

I also need help with lodging. I don't want to spend a fortune on hotel rooms. We're not into bed & breakfast hotels, so that's out of the question. I would love to find a lodge to stay in (something that looks like a log home).

We also love to go out in the evening and mingle in the local bars. We don't like night clubs, we like quaint little bars, with a nice atmosphere.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it!

by paulamos101

The Whtie Mountains of NH are beautiful. Be sure to visit the Mt. Washington Hotel in Bretten Woods while up that way. It is one of the Grand Hotels from the turn of the century. You can sit on the veranda and watch the Cog RR climb the back of Mt. Washington. Above The Notch Motel, 2 minutes down the road offers a good size motel room, very clean, for a very affordable price. Then spend the day at the big hotel. If you are looking for a fun area with lots of nightlife, head south to Hampton Beach (about 3 hours south) on the Mass border. NH has a very short shoreline. It starts in Portsmouth and goes south to Hampton Beach. In Portsmouth, visit Strawberry Bank, a turn of the century village. If that is not your cup of tea, drive Rt 1A south to Hampton from Portsmouth. Many beautiful ocean views, ocean side mansions in Rye, then into the honky-tonk area of Hampton. Many place to stay in all price ranges, great sandy beach with waves, and plenty to see and do both day and night. Enjoy your trip to New England, one of the most beautiful places in the country.

by Mmasarech

The Telemark Inn is on top of a mountain in Bethel. It may be a bit pricey, but it's a "trip." There are llamas, horses, and sled dogs. A solid, rustic lodge. Beautiful scenery. Very unusual.

We really enjoyed white water rafting on the Kennebec River with the folks at Northern Outdoors. It would be a bit of a drive. They have accommodations that span from tents to nice cabins and a range of prices. They have great local brews and a comfortable lodge where hikers, taking a rest from the Appalachian Trail, hang out.

by michanth

you should try calling connecting rentals of bethel 824-4829. they also have a website www.connectingrentals.com. they offer log cabins in the woods, etc...anthony is a great source for the company having alot of knowledge in around bethel as well as the white mtn. region. as far as bethel goes, you can rent kayaks or canoes and go down the androscoggin river. its beautiful. no white water, a very smooth scenic ride. if your boyfriend is fly fishing, once again the androscoggin from new hampshire down to bethel has some of the best trout fishing in the area. (hot spot is in gilead where wild river meets the androscoggin) The Bethel Inn and country club has a quaint bar and really layed back atmosphere, it is located in Bethel village. One place I would suggest to travel is to the Height of the Land in Rangely, it is about a one hour drive from Bethel. Some of the most spectacular scenery you will ever see. Rangley also offers a beautiful lake and quaint village with log cabin lodging. You can rent a boat and fish the lake...great for salmon.I know the area very well as I live here, so let me know if I can answer any specific questions. I remember when the pileline workers were here, they were all great and the town hated to see them go.

by michanth

sorry about babbling on, i never looked at the dates and see you probably already have been here. I hope you had a great time. where did you end up staying?

Travel Tips for Bethel

So much good boarding!!

by Helen196

What Sunday River lacks in apres ski it certainly makes up for in terrain. HUGE runs which will challenge everyone! FANTASTIC terrain parks which will entertain the more adventurous of you, and loads of chairlifts to take you back up to the top of the mountain!

Not a drag lift in site which is very good news for us boarders!!

Although there wasn't much snowmaking going on whilst we were there (it was too warm) the pistes were always groomed to perfection and only started getting really slushy towards the end of the week when we had a lot of rain. I learnt how to jump on my snowboard and our party as a whole gained a lot of confidence.

World's Largest SnowWoman

by glo39

You've got to be jealous of those eyelashes!

Name: Olympia SnowWoman
Height: 122' 1"
Weight: 13,000,000 lbs. of snow-I wonder if she lies about her weight
5 foot wreaths for eyes
16 skis for eyelashes
Carrot nose made of muslin, chicken wire & wood frame by the MSAD #44 elementary school children

Artist's Covered Bridge -...

by FreeCloud

Artist's Covered Bridge - Newry, ME.
(About four miles northwest of North Bethel)

It was built in 1872 and named the Artist's Bridge because of its reputation as being the most photographed and painted of the venerable covered bridges in Maine.

The bridge, an 87 foot Paddleford truss, was closed to traffic in 1958 when a new bridge was built downstream.

A covered bridge near Bethel,Maine (near the Sunday River Ski Resort).

Comments