Topside Inn Bed and Breakfast

60 McKown Street, Boothbay Harbor, Maine, 04538, United States
Official Site

More about Topside Inn Bed and Breakfast

Great Stay (s) at Topside

This past October 4, 5 and 6 leaving on Friday October 7 was our 5th visit to Topside. As the saying goes, "It just keeps getting better!"

We have been coming to Boothbay Harbor at least twice each year for the last several years. Like any time away from home, it has always been an incredible time. The physical beauty of the whole area in this part of Maine rates as some of the best in the country (world) - and the food in every restaurant - both fancy and plain - is equally great.

What really makes a getaway like our trips to Boothbay Harbor, however, is very much an issue of accomodations. Topside is appropriately named because of its prominence on the highest hill in town but it is also appropriately named because of the quality of its innkeepers, Brian and Ed. We have stayed in many inns over the years from Santa Fe to New York and so feel qualified to evaluate Topside. It's really tops!

Quaint - it is. Clean? - It's impeccable. Friendly? - I couldn't be more. Food - Do you want to hear about the fabulous breakfasts or the coffee, tea and snacks in the afternoon and evening. Restaurants? - They wil ask you what you want pricewise and otherwise, make a recommendation and make reservations if you wish.

Do you want a great stay for a day or more - Topside is Tops!

Topside Inn - 2006

by TripAdvisor Member smithkent

This was our 2nd stay at the Topside Inn and again a great experience.

The fog lifts to a beautiful sunny morning, a delicious breakfast, charming details and a view that will inspire a sail!

Room 8 is special, a private, cottage room and deck of your very own.

Ed and Brian have our votes for the most accomdating hosts of all time.

See you again soon guys...you and the Inn are the Tops!

Hospitality above and beyond duty!!

by TripAdvisor Member europeankate

Following the recommendations during our stay at Harbor Cottage Inn in Southwest Harbor (Bar Harbor), we arrived in Boothbay Harbor at Topside Inn during the now historical floods of 2006 throughout the region. We'd had a bit of luck the day we arrived at Topside; it had remained dry during our drive from the north to the south of Maine. Upon arrival, Brian greeted us warmly and completed upgraded our reservation to the front king size room overlooking the harbor: luxuriously cosy and calm. The common rooms reminded us of days gone by when families gathered for long summer days on the porch, with pitchers of lemonade, playing board games to pass the time. The next morning, after a classic European breakfast, when we realized that we would have a hard time getting to Boston Logan due to flooded highways, Ed went out of his way to check all kinds of internet information regarding which roads were closed, etc. and mapped out several alternatives that would get us to the airport with the least amount of inconvenience. We left Topside reluctantly, and we were so grateful to Ed's invaluable help. We will return to Maine, hopefully during sunnier times. And Topside Inn will be at the top of our list of places to stay. Thanks again Brian and Ed---you are a class act.

best b&b I've ever stayed at

I travel a lot for business and pleasure and this is the first time I have felt inclined to actually post here at trip advisor. I had business in Augusta, but wanted to stay some place a little more picturesque. Topside Inn thoroughly filled the bill. If you typically shy away from B&Bs because it is a little too close for comfort or not into antiques, then this is the place for you. But if you are in to those things, you will be extremely happy as well. The house and rooms were updated, extremely comfortable, and equipped. Many rooms were recently remodeled. The breakfast was fresh and delicious.

The best part about it though was definitely the hospitality of Ed & Brian. They were available but not intrusive. There were no endless lists of things that you are not supposed to do. I hate when someone hands me a list of rules when I check in or there is a list sitting in the room when I arrive- like quiet hours, no smoking, etc. It was reassuring that they trusted me enough to respect their inn.

I could go on, but check it out for yourself. I will definitely be back!

Thoroughly enjoyed the Topside Inn

Tripadvisor ratings are rarely wrong - and earned the old fashioned way - by treating customers right. Topside's excellent rating and its many rave reviews are right on. We recently returned from a three night stay at Topside. Ed and Brian are wonderful hosts and they've done an absolutely remarkable job with the inn. Believe everything you read in the many rave reviews of Topside and book with confidence. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Topclass Topside was a great find!

by TripAdvisor Member Toberlerone

Traditionally, I try to avoid B&B's like the plague, due to the unnerving feeling of living in someone's home. I hate the usual petty house rules, and I have nightmares about their chintz, lace and doillie ridden bedrooms and public areas.

The Topside inn offers none of the above.

What you do get is the following:

Accomodation .
This is in 3 areas 1. some rooms in the main house which look like the best bet, they look fantastic! Then you get 2. The windward block and 3. The Leeward block, both attractive with great rooms, and close to the main house.

Most rooms have some sort of seaview, although I suspect the windward rooms and the main house rooms offer the best views.. We stayed in room 8, at the base of the windward block, which was big, stylish (no chintz, just clean, crisp lines) and had its own decking area. This is a great room to have, although the seaview is compromised slightly by the growth of the trees at the front of the garden. This room also had a fridge & TV.

My only criticisims would be that despite the many windows, it's feels a tiny bit dark in the room, and the bathroom could do with a little updating (I'm being picky here, I just don't like the sink area, the rest of it's fine!), although it's still perfectly acceptable and very clean.

Service
Exceptional, to be honest. They have the knack of being there when you want something, but not being in your face. There are no house rules, they run the place on trust, which makes for a very relaxed atmosphere. Spot on!

Breakfast
Again, excellent. A great choice of cereals, muffins etc, plus they do a daily cooked 'special' should you wish. Brekfast is served in the main house ground floor up to 9:30am.

Main house
This is a great place to chill for a few hours. Most of the ground floor is open all day to all guests, with the bonus of home baked cookies at 4:30pm each day, which are great! The rooms are stylish, classy and relaxing, made up of the bright, airy breakfast room, the cool hallway/reception area and the lovely lounge area with a fireplace & comfortable chairs .

Throughout the place there are interesting books & recently published magazines, and several board games. You can read or use all of them at your leisure. To top all this off, there is also a great outside decking area running along the front of the house, complete with rocking chairs and great views of the sea / harbour and gardens.

Overall, this place is just fantastic. I struggle to fault it, it's location is also ideal being on top of a hill gives great views, yet the shops / restaurants and harbour is less than 5 mins walk (although the hill is pretty short in length, it's quite steep, so it might not be ideal for some). See pics for more info...

I'm thinking of running my own B&B on my return from 6 months travel, and if I could cut and paste this place back to Winchester, UK, I surely would!!

Completely Lovely!

by TripAdvisor Member ratootie

After reading the reviews posted here, I was VERY excited to stay here and it was wonderful! My husband and I stayed here for 3 days.

Breakfast - Wonderful and very tasty!
Room - Charming, very quaint and relaxing!
Hosts - Very friendly and helpful!
View - Beyond words! You've got to see it for yourself!

I would stay here again anytime!
PS.. don't forget to peek at the "Bounty" parked down over the hill!

Topside was wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member Dcraig

This is my first review of any place that we have stayed at for various vacations. I am writing because we had a great time staying at the Topside Inn in Boothbay. The room was very charming and spacious and included a refidgerator for your convenience. The breakfasts were very delicious and quite varied. Ed and Brian were excellent hosts and were available when you needed them. When you go, be sure to ask Brian and Ed for their restaurant suggestions as we did not and had one very bad dinner (which could have easily been avoided if we had asked them before hand). They are a wealth of information about the local area and services and are quite open to assisting you in having a great vacation.

Mediocre at best

by TripAdvisor Member meandrrr

Let's start with the positive...

There are no better views than from the TopSide. Wow. Absolutely gorgeous views.

However....

Let's discover the joys of air conditioning! It was uncomfortably warm during the day. We came back to the room to rest in the afternoon and simply couldn't. My husband ended up with icepacks on his forehead to cool down! The temperature would drop in the evening and the nights were very comfortable with the windows open but the days were too hot.

The room was very mediocre. The furniture looked like something you would pick up at a Flea Market or give to your kid when they get their first apartment. The balcony furniture is plastic.

The bathroom had some broken tiles in the shower, some mildew between the grout and a very 1950's feel. The wallpaper is peeling off the wall in some places.

The room was like a cheap motel. If it weren't for the amazing view, I would say go somewhere else.

Breakfast was OK. Fruit and granola. They had a daily special which was cooked to order. I would have prefered that a buffet be available. I didn't like having to wait to get the attention of the cook and then wait on breakfast to be cooked. We wanted to get on with our day.

My advice would be to save your money....check into a cheap motel and enjoy the view on your own simply by walking around Boothbay.

TOPSIDE IS TOPS

by TripAdvisor Member TARCY2

I was extremely happy with our stay at the Topside. We just got back from a 3 day visit that was relaxing and enjoyable mainly due in part to our choice to stay here. I found nothing to complain about with the Topside Inn. Tripadvisor has served me well once again.

The location couldn’t be beat…just roll down the hill into town, but yet quiet and peaceful in its setting overlooking the harbor. The views were wonderful with plenty of sitting room throughout the property. I particularly enjoyed reading on the wooden rockers on the porch. They do have a plethora of reading materials to suit most any taste.

We stayed in room 8, which was quite roomy and very clean. As far as air conditioning, it does mention on their website that they do not have air conditioning. Due to their climate and location however, the ocean breeze lends itself to cooling the area nicely. Although with the recent heat wave, it was a bit warmer at night. Fans are provided in every room.

They provided a great breakfast every morning with fresh cut fruit, granola, yogurt, home-made muffins, an assortment of English muffins and bagels, as well as a different daily hot breakfast special (lemon-blueberry pancakes…yum!). We were promptly waited on each morning. Even with a full house, we never waited more than 5 minutes for our meal. The chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon were a nice touch as well.

The whole idea of our visit was to relax and take it easy for a few days and Brian and Ed (our hosts) and the Topside were very accommodating in this manner. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at 93 Townsend as well (based on their recommendation). We had a terrific stay and look forward to returning next summer.

THE MAIN WATERFRONT SHOPPING AREATHE MAIN WATERFRONT SHOPPING AREA