Welch House Inn Bed and Breakfast

56 McKown Street, Boothbay Harbor, Maine, 04538, United States

More about Welch House Inn Bed and Breakfast

HIghly recommend

by TripAdvisor Member buckthorn

We stayed at the Welch House Inn and had a delightful time.
Breakfast was sumptuous and served on the beautiful deck overlooking Boothbay Harbor.

We had two rooms on the third floor with lovely views and private bathrooms. We appreciated the cleaniless and decor of the rooms. There is also a top floor deck with unsurpassed views. There was so much to enjoy about this Inn.

Susan and Micheal were excellent hosts. We wished we could have stayed more than one day. We will return.

Fantastic B&B in Boothbay Harbor!!

by TripAdvisor Member Jazzman45

This was our first stay and we look forward to another relaxing one!
Susan and Michael are wonderful hosts.
Their recommendations of resturants and things to do around town were always an enjoyable experience.
By the way, the breakfasts that Susan prepared were out of this world! Be sure to try the homemade granola, too.
If you're looking for a grand view of the harbor, just head on up to the top patio deck and take it all in.
Wonderful!

Wonderful experience

by TripAdvisor Member lftbush

My choice for Boothbay Harbor and the Welch House came from a conversation with friends as well as the one of the Inn keepers, Susan. The town, although smaller than we typicallychoose to stay for 3 nights, turned out to be just as described, wonderful views, great food and cultural experiences. As a travel agent for 30+ years, I have come to appreciate individual efforts that you find in well run large or small hotels or inns but are far too lacking in many so-called 'deluxe" experiences and that includes food and lodging!
From the first phone call, I found Susan and later her husband Michael to be very specific in what the Welch House Inn and the town of Boothbay Harbor offerred. The rooms were comfortable, the food at breakfast excellent and varied. The public rooms always had coffee, water, wine, great views of the harbor, from a high point on a hill and if you wanted lots of conversation from travelers as well as the owners. The property is nicely decorated, the staff is quite attentive to the daily operation making this more of an "Inn" experience than a typical B&B without the negative implications that a busy Inn would bring. Their website is accurate and helpful as well as the sit for the area so getting a feel for this place as a destination was fairly easy and the "guess work" in determining if it is really good as it looks was mostly eliminated.

Not sure I'd be back

by TripAdvisor Member BostonSurfer66

Nice Inn in a good location walking distance to the Harbor.
The breakfast was ok. My particular room was cozy.
The bathroom though seemed to be a converted closet
and had no mirror over the sink.

The Inn keepers also seemed a little overwhelmed
in running the place. The husband was helpful with
questions, more so than the wife who seemed like
she'd rather be somewhere else than answering my
questions.

Finally, there was this sign indicating the check-out time
inside the room. And it read that checking out after that time
(11:00) would result in a full-day charge added on to the bill.

Personally, I don't appreciate unreasonable threats like this, especially inside the room where I'm trying to relax on vacation.

There's no place like home

by TripAdvisor Member JCD22

The few times a year we get to go away without our 4 children, we plan for total winddown, and complete relaxation....well let me tell you, you can definitely find that at The Welch House Inn.
Susan and Michael, the hosts, we wonderful, not only are they great hosts but they have friendly, warm personalitlies, are superb cooks and make you feel like you have been in their lives always. Also, to top of the best breakfast each morning, Susan makes a homemade granola that is out of this world...I had to bring 4pounds of it home with me. Boothbay Harbor is a beautiful, serene, calming place to visit and when you need the same place to stay, The Welch House Inn is our pick.
We will be back again soon.

John and Cindy, Reading, Massachusetts

Everyone's happy!

by TripAdvisor Member tmstuff

We recently spent 2 nights with our 2 college aged children at Welch House. It was a perfect place for us to unwind for a last minute family vacation. The kids enjoyed the roof top deck and the wireless internet and I loved the wonderful antique and collectable decor in the inn and especially the selection of artwork and framed prints. Susan and Michael are wonderful hosts. Their breakfasts are well known throughout the town as being fabulous. Their library of videos to take back to your room was amazing. Highly recommend!

Colorful Stay

by TripAdvisor Member 12steps

My wife and I stayed at the Welch House as part of our 20 year anniversary trip up the coast of Maine and what a pleasure it was. Susan and Michael are innkeepers with lots of energy... they work very hard to make sure you are satisfied for a smooth stay. KJ, who works the front desk and helped out around the inn is friendly and has a great work ethic too.

We stayed in the Captains Lady (2nd floor) which has a king size bed, modest TV, VCR, phone, wifi and very small private bathroom. Be prepared to climb steps when staying at the inn as they are everywhere.

There's a great view of the harbor on the top deck where you can escape and watch a beautiful sunset.

The harbor is only a block away from locally owned shops and restuarants. No commercial chains here. Love it!

This B&B lends itself to a fun, social atmosphere.
Susan & Michael are such terrific hosts... they're natural at it. Good vibes all around!!

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member hells1908

In contrast to some of the other places we stayed on this trip - inn was better than expected, staff were lovely, location was better than described...

Check in was perfect - we were shown everything, all very chatty. But then were offered an 'upgrade' from the crow's nest room we'd booked, on account of the other room being cosier and having a nicer view. We took this but, in hindsight, should have asked to see the original room booked as, when we snuck up later, it clearly had a much better view (ours was blocked by roof) which had been the main reason given for moving. Had they just been honest and said they'd double booked or that, as it was on a different floor, they only wanted to clean one floor, we would have understood; understanding lying is a bit more tricky.

BUT this is a lovely place. There are two terraces on the roof and ground floor which give great views of the harbour. You can have breakfast on the latter, which we started to do till overcome with wasps! The sitting room is very pretty and I got talking to other guests, who gave me some restaurant recommendations.

I'm sure there are better places in Boothbay BUT I would definitely stay here again - great location (3 mins to the harbour), views, our (new) room was fine, apart from the view, breakfast was grand, the sitting room was lovely and there were loads of magazines for us to take up and read.

Only reason it's not 5 star is the lie about 'it's a better view' - it clearly wasn't!

Autumn in Maine

by TripAdvisor Member MaineMan8

We spent two days and nights at the Welch House Inn in Booth Bay Harbor, Maine. Two days weren't enough. The Breakfast part of the B& B was outstanding. The hot meal served individually from the kitchen was delightful. Eggs Benedictine were surprisingly good. These were served in addition to a sumptuous buffet with fruit, fresh muffins, juice, coffee and a fantastic granola. This was served on the deck by the friendly hosts.
The Bed part was surprisingly comfortable. The rooms were elegantly furnished but the bathroooms were a bit small.
We wanted a room with a view and the whole inn gave a great view of the harbor, especialy the two decks.
I do want to go back and I've already recommended this as a great place to stay to my friends and neighbors.

Great Experience at the Welch House Inn

by TripAdvisor Member rickyroomkey

We just returned from a mid-winter getaway and had an extraordinary experience by staying at the Welch House Inn, located in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. Their comfortable well appointed rooms each have a different feel and terrific views. Since it was winter and the hotel was empty this gave us an opportunity to explore the artistic design of the other rooms of the main house and enjoy the truly great character of this unique place. The owners Michael and Susan have something very special here and should be very proud. Their friendly nature and gourmet breakfasts left us with full stomachs and lifelong memories. Hats off to you both and we are eagerly anticipating a return in the near future. See you soon.

Comments