26 Main St, PO Box 4, Castine, Maine, 04421, United States

Booking.com Priceline.com

• Don't trust that you have a reservation

These folks don't know how to run a business. I had made a reservation, had the confirmation, and a couple weeks later they emailed me to say they couldn't honor that reservation (but was I interested in staying 2 nights instead. because that they could honor!). Rude, disrespectful, and didn't even have the courtesy to call me back-- just sent an email.

More about Pentagoet Inn

Double treat

by TripAdvisor Member Oak_Park_traveler

Castine and the Pentagoet – two treats in a wonderful spot. Summer 2006 we spent a week on the coast of Maine, beginning with the wonders of Eastport and Campobello. Joyce had vacationed in Castine as a teen and we thought it would be fun to return. Little did we know what an interesting place we would find. Adding to our pleasure, the Pentagoet (an internet find) turned out to be a most accommodating base for several wonderful days. A comfy room, wonderful food – breakfast and dinner, gracious hosts and a beautifully landscaped Inn! Some of the best food we had in Maine! What else could one ask?

On day one we drove to Stonington and visited Isle au Haut – a great adventure on the mail boat (a suggestion from the Pentagoet to our query about hiking). On day two we were delighted to not use the car at all, but explored Castine on foot. Gorgeous vistas, tons of history, good exercise. And both evenings we returned to a wonderful dinner at the Inn.

We left Castine for Portland armed with dining suggestions from Jack (the Pentagoet folks are world citizens and travelers) – which allowed us to continue to enjoy the best of Maine. Maine was great, but our hope is to return to Castine and the Pentagoet.

Joyce & John Cassel, Oak Park, IL

Best stay ever in Maine!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member BlueMt

Having made three forays up the entire coast of Maine, my wife and I were looking for a different kind of vacation. We were seeking a quiet venue that was not a tourist mecca or sleepy fishing village. Little did we know that we found the perfect place to stay in a most wonderful town called Castine. Castine is an idyllic town of Federalist homes on Dutch Elm lined streets that looks out over a breathtaking deepwater harbor. In the center of this perfect setting is an Inn i have always hoped to find: The Pentagoet. During our stay, we found everything to our liking. The friendly staff and well-appointed room were just what we needed. I have not been able to unwind like this in ten plus years of traveling. Our hosts went above and beyond the call in keeping us comfortable without being fussy. From excellent info for day trips to garden tours to sitting on the verandah with a good book to outstanding entrees at dinner, we were constantly surprised at all the "little" things done for guests. Jack and Julie will be seeing us again.

A Perfect Pair--Maine and the Pentagoet Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Brooksvillians

The Pentagoet Inn was exactly what we hoped for on our first trip to Maine. Natives of a tourist state, we wanted off the beaten path to relax and explore the magnificent coast of Maine. We were travel weary when we drove into lovely Castine, but not for long. Our room with king bed was furnished with comfortable antiques and romantically decorated with well-coordinated fabrics and wonderful lace curtains. We even read to each other from the eclectic collection of books in our room. It was perfect for relaxing. Martha Stewart could not have found fault with our accommodations. Everything was perfectly spotless. Fresh coffee outside our door at 7a.m. was my favorite luxury. We did not make use of the cozy office area (where we were offered free internet access) other than to sit in the old desk chair and check out the historical pictures of the Inn. The only regret of our stay is that we checked in on a Monday when dinner is not served in the Inn--Tuesday's was fabulous. After a delicious breakfast of blueberry pancakes and bacon, yogurt, fresh fruit and juice, we took a (complimentary) bike ride around the picturesque town to see the beautiful homes, a gorgeous harbor and lighthouse. We had a good laugh about how the old bikes looked perfect for the part, but made navigating the hills challenging. Julie, the owner, assured me she is upgrading them. It figures--they were the only thing that wasn't perfect. If you only have three days and don't want a dollar or a minute wasted, choose the Pentagoet Inn in Castine, Maine. It is a treasure on the Maine coast.

Quaint elegant inn in coastal Maine

by TripAdvisor Member WantaTravel

Located in the delightful small town of Castine, Maine, on the shores of the wondrous Penobscot Bay, the Pentagoet Inn is one of the most delightful Bed & Breakfast inns my wife and I have visited.
The Inn is a glimpse into the fascinating history of this part of New England, yet is beautifully appointed and equipped with all the modern conveniences we appreciate. Each room retains its distinctive character, with an abundance of antiques and period furnishings.
The Inn is operated by the owners, and service is top-notch, with all staff members going out of their way to make guests feel at home. The dining room has an excellent reputation for very good reasons.
All this comes at an excellent value. I give this establishment the highest possible recommendation!

Loved the Pentagoet!!

by TripAdvisor Member travelingfowlers

My wife and I visited Maine for the first time and stayed in Castine for 3 days. We had the pleasure of staying in the Pentagoet Inn. It was a wonderfull place, by far the nicest place we stayed in while in Maine. The inn is very tastefully decorated and the rooms are furnished nicely. It has a classic, clean look that makes you feel like you should be paying much more than you are for such a great place. I also highly recommend the restaurant, which was 4 star. I also took several pictures of the pub, which is worth a visit by itself. To top it off, the innkeepers, Jack and Julie were warm and welcoming, and made us feel special. We will definitely come back!!

Very last century

by TripAdvisor Member Bearspotter

We decided to stay at the Pentagoet at the last minute, and booked the day prior to our arrival. On our arrival, we initially thought that the room we were allocated was quite comfy and sweet. It was only when we went to go to bed that we realised that the bed was only accessible from one side, unless you were around 3ft tall! I did wonder why he asked us what our height was!

The furnishings are a little worn, but as long as a place is clean we can usually over look a little tattiness. The bathroom was spotless.

Dinner is over priced, but there is no real competition so most people eat in, which although ran by the inn keepers, is ran as a seperate concern apparantly, and charges cannot be made to your accommodation.

We were unable to sleep for the majority of the night as although this is seemingly a little sleepy out of the way place, traffic roared up and down the street outside the Inn, beeping horns with no regard for the time of night. We were told this is very unusual.

On rising the next morning, I gave my honest opinion and that as we had not been told about the sloping ceiling in the bedroom, which made getting in and out of the bed difficult, especially when you consider that I have to wear arm and wrist splints at present even more difficult, and that fact that there was noise almost all night long, we would be checking out that morning and not staying out intended 3 nights.

We were astonished to find that Jack, the inn keeper, refused to discuss the situation with me, telling me that he would only discuss the problem with my husband! This is 2007, not 1907!

Jack, the Inn keeper, told us we were responsible for the room charges as we were not giving the necessary 14 days cancellation notice - how on earth could we when we had only booked 2 days prior! And in light of him being less than honest regarding the size of the room and the access to the bed problem, he could have been a bit more flexible.

In my honest opinion, this is an extremley over priced inn, you get very little for your money. The breakfast which is included in the price is meagre. Weak tasting coffee, with a buffet style arrangement for the tiny dish of scrambled eggs and bacon laid on for around 15 people. These were finished off quite quickly by the first 3 - 4 people in the queue, and replacement took absolutley ages. There was bread available, plus one kind of preserve.

There is no TV, no radio, no air conditioning and no telephone in the room. There is however, a very comfortable lounge, and there is a large amount of reading material, if books you commonly find at a rummage sale are your choice!

Would I stay here again? Not on your life. We left, forced to pay for the room, hungry, tired and feeling very let down. Luckily everywhere else we stayed - 6 different inns in all on our vacation, showed us just how great a professionally organised Inn can be.

Worth the detour

by TripAdvisor Member miriz

If you are heading to Waterville, Maine (on Route 95), then Castine is definitely not on the way. That said, we are glad we made the trip. The town is positively halcyon, and the Pentagoet Inn was wonderful. It is spotless, tastefully decorated, and very professionally run. The breakfast was huge and delicious, and we wish we could have stayed longer.

A Gem

by TripAdvisor Member mainetravels

As a resident of Maine I am very fortunate to have access, within a 2-3 hour drive of my home, to any number of fine hotels, inns and bed and breakfasts from Kennebunkport to Bar Harbor and beyond. After spending time at several of these spots, my daughter and I have settled on what we consider the best...The Pentagoet Inn in Castine. In fact we've been there twice this summer. The Pentagoet has everything we are looking for: peaceful and beautiful accommodations, absolute cleanliness, exceptional food and gracious and welcoming hosts.

The dining at the Pentagoet is superb. The pub is wonderful for a drink and maybe a chat with fellow travelers. The parlor is beautiful and the porch is magnificent. At night the inn shines in the town as welcome a beacon as a lighthouse must be to a lost sailor. The breakfast is something we always look forward to: fluffy, creamy scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, french toast or pancake dishes, fresh fruit, granola, yogurt, freshly baked scones and sweet bread and muffins, juice, coffee. The hot food is not served in large, industrial containers as in some places, but in smaller dishes such as you'd find if you were a guest in someone's home. They are replenished often and quickly....there's lots to replenish. While waiting for fresh food you can sit back and relax, admire the rosy glow of the walls, the shiny wood floors, the lovely china, the view to the porch, sip coffee or juice.

Motel Six, the Marriott or Holiday Inn this is not. If you want to spend time in a beautiful seaside town in a place that is unique, beautiful, full of history and unexpected happy surprises go to the Pentagoet. You will meet Julie and Jack who have an appreciation for the value and beauty of old things...whether it is architecture, furniture, china, books or photographs...and that is all part of the allure of the Pentagoet. They have also instilled the inn with those things you want when you travel: comfort, cleanliness, wonderful food, friendly service, beautiful surroundings and a true respite from the every day.

The web site is very descriptive of of what you will find at the Pentagoet. If you like what you see there, you will be thrilled when you experience it in person.

Victorian Beauty

by TripAdvisor Member Mainer81

June,16, 2008: This charming, quiet inn is located in one of Maine's most beautiful coastal towns. I am a Maine resident, so I can speak with some authority. The breakfast was wonderful, the proprietors were warm and welcoming. The wrap-around porch was a delightful place to read, talk, have a drink, or just watch the passing scene. We spent a very relaxing afternoon and a restful night at this inn that exudes history and character.

Charming bed and breakfast with great hosts!

by TripAdvisor Member jackjean

On a recent trip up Maine's beautiful coast, my husband and I discovered the charming and historic town of Castine. Nestled on Penobscot Bay and claiming a magnificent maritime heritage, the village seemed at first almost lost in time. Upon our return trip down the coast, we opted for a three day stay at the Pentagoet Inn, featured in "Maine: Guide to Inn and Bed and Breakfasts". A brief phone call to Jack Burke, one of the extremely affable owners, encouraged us! It turned out to be an excellent choice and the highlight of our 4 week vacation in New England.
During our stay at the Pentagoet Inn, we were treated to wonderful hospitality, characterized by early morning coffee, huge gourmet breakfasts, afternoon tea, and sumptuous dinners. All this in the quaintly serene setting overlooking views of Penobscot Bay. Owners Jack and Julie could not have been more gracious! The 16 room beautifully appointed Victorian Inn was spotless and comfortably furnished with antiques- highlights of which included a plethora of antique photographs (expecially in the "Old World Pub") and comfortable furniture, including antique beds and comforters. The gardens were lush and beautiful, evening walks were delightful, and we ended our stay by attending the annual Memorial Day Parade, featuring the Gettysburg Address, and a march to the harbor by the entire town. Kudos to this charming Inn and this beautiful town. We will return very soon.

Comments