Bufflehead Cove Inn

Kennebunkport, Maine, 04046, United States

More about Bufflehead Cove Inn

Just what we were after

by TripAdvisor Member Robyn113

We loved this place. I notice a rather negative review below regarding lack of attention from the hosts. During our stay Mrs Gott was friendly but not overbearing. Her breakfasts were wonderful and there was non of this "forced jollity" trying to make all the guest become instant friends - thank goodness! She just let it happen at it's own pace. Too many B&Bs try too hard to be the "perfect" hosts and you can end up feeling suffocated while they strive to to create the home away from home atmosphere. I want to stay in a beautiful guest house, not someone's home. The hosts were gracious and friendly but let you get on and enjoy the beautiful peaceful setting. I have travelled extensively and stayed in many B&Bs and this is by far the best. I highly recommend getting up early, grabbing a coffee and sitting on the deck on the river - it is magical!

Restful stay in bucolic surroundings

by TripAdvisor Member 2firenze

This was our second stay at Bufflehead Cove and we found it delightful. I noticed some criticism from other posters but I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. We stayed in the Riverside Cottage, the largest and most private accommodation. We chose not to go to the main house for breakfast. They were nice enough to deliver it to the cottage. We enjoy privacy and were afforded it. The main inn has a wonderful "feel." A great example of a large Maine home in a beautiful setting. Mrs. Gott was polite and inviting without being intrusive and the Cottage afforded us privacy and luxury in a beautiful setting.

Our favorite place

by TripAdvisor Member MichiganDeb

This September was our second stay at Bufflehead Cove, and it was everything we wanted and more. We stayed for 10 nights. I don't usually take the time to write online reviews, but I was stunned by the negative review of August. The Gotts are impeccable innkeepers, friendly, available, and helpful, but not intrusive.

We have stayed in several places in Kennebunkport and this is by far our favorite. The inn is well equipped and beautifully decorated, and the site is serene. It feels like home (except someone else is doing all the work!)

The breakfasts are the best I've experienced at an inn. The food is fresh and beautifully presented. My husband and I have dietary restrictions, and during both stays, we requested and received customized breakfasts that completely met our requirements. In fact, they offered and provided more than we could have expected in the way of alternatives to their standard fare, which includes a fresh fruit course (a smoothie, stuffed baked apple, fruit compote, etc.), followed by a full breakfast, such as pancakes and bacon, frittata, waffles, omelettes, Greek scramble, accompanied by a fresh-baked fruit bread or muffin. . .well, you get the picture. It was all excellent.

The rooms get fresh linens and towels every day. I looked forward to seeing new color combinations daily. Harriet has a great eye for design. The staff provides a lot of help making plans for the day and dinner reservations, if you wish. Some of our now-favorite restaurants are ones we didn't know about until they introduced us to them. I think they are quite intuitive about matching people with restaurants they think they will enjoy.

One complaint in the negative review I read was that it was a long walk to town. It is about a mile to town, and the road to the inn is a long dirt road, so at night it may not be comfortable to walk. But it's an easy drive, and the long road in is what makes the inn's setting so remote and idyllic. It sits on a glorious piece of property on the tidal river, inhabited by lots of wildlife. Birds sing all day,and you can sit and do nothing but watch the fish jump. It's hard to find that peacefulness in town.

I can't say enough about this inn. We wish we could live there permanently!

Loved our anniversary stay at Bufflehead

by TripAdvisor Member MJK1

We stayed at the Bufflehead Cove Inn for only one night but wish it had been longer. We were fortunate to stay in the garden room with our own private entrance to the lovely suite. It was extremely comfortable and beautiful. I enjoyed the books about Maine that were in the main house and our area. Our hosts were more than nice, they went out of their way to make us welcome. We returned to our room after dinner to find a bottle of wine with an anniversary greeting from the owners. We enjoyed the excellent breakfast as well as the company of other guests at the inn. It is a very cozy and casual place with beautiful grounds by the river. We were glad to be in a quiet area where we could drive into town in a few minutes. I had admired a painting over the fireplace and Harriet put me in touch with the artist. We got to see the artist's home and bought a lovely painting. To us that is real service and caring. We would love to stay there again.

A Hidden Gem

by TripAdvisor Member jstrauss

My wife and I recently stayed at the Bufflehead Cove Inn. We greatly enjoy exploring B&Bs in the New England area, and we are in complete agreement that the Bufflehead Cove Inn was our most outstanding experience to date. We stayed in the Balcony Room, which was astoundingly spacious and overlooked the Kennebunk River. This was a particularly breathtaking view during the fall foliage season.

We had the privilege of meeting Jim and Harriet Gott as well as two of their wonderful children. Unlike many other inn owners, they are truly B&B lifers, having owned the Inn for over 30 years. The joy and passion they bring to their livelihood is evident, and our interactions made our weekend particularly enjoyable. They could not have been more hospitable.

Of course, we must mention how delicious the breakfasts were.The main dishes, which ranged from frittatas to stuffed french toast, were always outstanding, as were the daily helpings of fresh fruit and juices.

We will definitely return to the Bufflehead Cove Inn on our next trip to Kennebunkport.

Loved the Bufflehead Cove

by TripAdvisor Member JPJ

The Bufflehead Cove Inn was by far our favorite place on our New England trip. We had booked the Garden Room and were very excited about it. However, when we arrived the owner informed us that the Balcony Room had not been booked and if we were interested she would upgrade us for free as a gift from them to us. We were very appreciative of the upgrade. The Balcony Room is one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. The owners and their children were extremely nice and helpful. They gave suggestions of local restuarants and offered to make reservations. The breakfasts were amazing! There is not one negative thing I could say about this inn. I would highly recommed it!

They get it ALL right!

by TripAdvisor Member TravelingDakotaGirl

As someone who has made 71 trips so far this year, it has to be something pretty special to lure me to stay one more night away from home. But I have been coming to Bufflehead Cove for a dozen years because a stay there manages to "undo" so much of the stress, annoyance, irritation and inconvenience that travel has come to mean. Instead, it is a refreshing, relaxing, restorative haven. Of course, it is located in one of the most lovely seaside communities in the Northeast but I suspect Bufflehead Cove would work its magic anywhere.

As other reviews have indicated, the experience begins with a drive through a woodland lane, ending at the edge of the Tidal River. The quiet and calm are already palpable as you cross the wide front porch to the front door and enter the Inn. Entering the distinctive living room of the Inn, you are surrounded by gleaming wood floors, lovely furnishings, a fire in the fireplace and a sense of cozy, comfortable sophistication. No toile here! Instead, an impressive collection of art and decorative objects that have been hand-picked and artfully assembled by Harriet and give each room its distinctive feel.

If you come here, you should prepare by (1) being sleep deprived and (2) very hungry. Sleep deprived because the beds are amazingly comfortable and the moonlight off the river and quiet country sounds will lull even the most insomniac to sleep. You will not want to get out of the bed, ever, but you will be lured to do so by the breakfasts. Jim turns out a multicourse, delicious and interesting menu every morning. You could stay a week and taste something new each day. Plan to take advantage of the many wonderful places to walk, hike or jog in the area because you WILL indulge!

Perhaps the most distinguishing characteristic that makes a stay at this Inn such a gem is that everyone -- Harriet, Jim, Erin -- are determined to make not only your stay at the Inn a comfortable one, but you stay in their community a pleasant one as well. They not only will make restaurant reservations but they'll match each guest with just the right place. They not only will provide a map of the locale, but they'll tell you their favorite spots for hiking or picnicing or shopping. And they'll often have an inside story, a historical fact or an insightful anecdote to go along.

As readers can tell, this is a very special place. It is not a business hotel (hooray!), it is not a fussy place, it does not have a lot of "attitude". But it has hospitality, comfort, calm and restorative powers that keep many of us "regulars" coming back year after year.

A magically tranquil and tasteful place

by TripAdvisor Member Katzl

Bufflehead Cove is the most magically tranquil and tasteful place I know. Its setting directly on the Kennebunk River has a rhythmn to it with tides flowing and birds calling. During this past visit, I saw the elusive migrating Bufflehead ducks (they are tiny) as well as a rare seal. The River offers pink sun rise reflections, sea mists when conditions are right, and ever changing ripples.

The Inn is located off a dirt road a mile's walk from shops and galleries. It is also possible to drive to a parking lot just beyond the dirt road and walk from there into Dock Square. This location provides the best of both worlds in terms of seclusion and accessibility.

All the Inn's rooms have been decorated with artistic taste of high caliber. Little touches include shells on a shelf, rain frangrance soaps, beautiful woven throws. There are also surprises such as a large closet with a mural of the River painted by an artist friend of the Inn keepers.

The old Inn has a long covered porch overlooking the River where breakfasts are served in the Summer. In the afternoon, you can sip wine in the living room by the fire and talk to other guests or read one of the many interesting books provided.

In the main Inn, the Balcony room has a large glass-enclosed balcony at the end of the bed with a table and chairs and a chaise perfect for reading, day dreaming or a "picnic" lunch.

If I were planning a first or second honeymoon, I would book the very private River Cottage which has its own kitchen, and curved staircase up to a balcony bedroom. Arched windows provide magnificent views.

Breakfast this past trip included a fruit smoothy in a champagne glass, bacon and stuffed French bread with slivered almonds and mellon slices. The innkeepers are happy to accommodate dietary restrictions.

The owners will make dinner reservations at any of a number of excellent restaurants in the area ranging from sea food, simple homey, ethnic or top rated gourmet.

Over many years of visits, we have gotten to know the Inn keepers as friends. Harriet and Jim genuinely care about providing the best in comfort and hospitality and meeting the individual needs of guests. They are both from the area and can suggest wonderful places for walks, shopping and lunch.

Peaceful & Romantic Bufflehead Cove B&B

by TripAdvisor Member hbrook

May 5th- 6th 2007: Same time year to year we travel to Bufflehead Cove B&B for my birthday weekend. This May we were fortunate to spend our weekend in the Balcony Room overlooking the Kennebunk River. I experienced a sense of relief as we traveled down Bufflehead Lane knowing that the Inn and all of its ammenities were waiting for me. Upon arriving we were greeted by the Inn's son, Erin, who warmly wished me a Happy Birthday. As you walk up the steps of the Inn you experince the beautiful grounds with many spring flowers in full bloom. The wrap around porch and stately elegance of the Dutch Colonial home is welcoming. The Kennebunk river speaks for itself. On the day we arrived the tide was coming in and one can't help but observe the waterfowl that finds its home on the river. As you enter the Inn the warmth of the decor makes you feel at home. Erin showed us to the Balony room that overlooked the river. This room is one of my personal favorites as well as the Hide-Away. With a King bed, gas fireplace, sitting area, whirlpool tub, fresh flowers, soft bathrobes and an incredible glassed in balcony I knew it couldn't get much better. This experince was just the beginning. Each morning I looked forward to the gourmet breakfast cooked by Jim Gott and served by his wife Harriet. Saturday mornings' breakfast was a fresh fruit smoothie followed by a fruit course of assorted berries with lemon sorbet, second course of Chevre and tomato quiche, buttermilk coffee cake, grilled asparagus with lemon zest and locally made breakfast sausage and many cups of fresh brewed coffee. Harriet not only serves a delicious breakfast, she keeps her guests well informed about the Kennebunkport area and places to visit including the best eateries. To conclude, my comments can't possibly describe how special Bufflehead Cove B&B is until you experience it for yourself.

So beautiful that we got married at the Inn!

by TripAdvisor Member Bonnie040

We discovered the Bufflehead Cove Inn online when planning a trip to Maine a few years ago. We were thrilled to discover this gem tucked away from the hustle and bustle of Kennebunkport. The house is a spectacular victorian and sits peacefully on the Kennebunk River. The inside of the Inn is perfectly decorated and has serene and welcoming appeal. The house sits at the river's edge and is neatly landscaped.

As we sat on the landing dock nearly eating our lunch, during our first stay at the Inn in August 2005, we decided the spot was so prestine that we needed to marry at the Inn. Plans began and the intimate wedding did occur at Bufflehead in June 2006. It was a perfect day!

Comments