208 Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport, Maine, 04046, United States

Expedia.com Travelocity

• Nice location, but...

My wife and I as well as my parents were staying at the Cape Arundel Inn 11/18 through 11/21. We were given rooms 21 & 23 of the Rockbound building, located adjacent to the main building. Room 21 is the closest to the main building and its view onto the Atlantic is to about half covered by the main building.

The room décor is conservative, tasteful but not antique. The rooms were clean but had a moist smell, same applies to the bed coverings. The bathroom is of good size, soaps, shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion of decent quality are supplied. Move the body soap from the sink to the shower tub before going in yourself, as you won’t get a 2nd piece. Also, the base board heater in the bathroom is intensely covered with rust sprinkles only next to the toilet, opening questions about the cleanliness.

By chance I woke up at 6am the first morning; the sunrise view from the bed is magnificent. The yard in front of the Rockbound is nicely designed and maintained impeccably.

In the mornings you will hear the washing machine located in the Rockbound basement, which is started before the breakfast is over, so forget about sleeping in.

When proceeding to breakfast, you will enter through the main entrance and be greeted by either a friendly young man or a grumpy old woman that is more interested in having a phone conversation or chatting it up with a visiting local.

The breakfast consists of an average cold buffet and a warm component for which there is no choice. The 1st day it was scrambled eggs sausage with soapy taste; bacon or ham were not an option. The second it was blueberry pancake, the 3rd again scrambled eggs. But as we already had the same 2 days ago, we were explicitly granted the exception to choose an egg any style. Either way, the portions are skimpy. However, the wait person is very nice and the tea or coffee keeps on coming.

When we checked in, we were asked for car brand, type and license plate. Upon asking for the reason, I was told that the cleaning staff will not enter the room when the vehicle is still parked at the room. On the 2nd day we returned from breakfast and the cleaning staff was in my parents’ room in spite of the car standing right in front. To top it off, they refused to leave the room and my parents had to wait outside in mid thirty degrees temperature until my wife and I returned from breakfast, so that my parents could warm up & wait in our room. My parents are in their 70s and my mother caught a hefty cold.

After the cleaning staff finally finished and my parents could move to their room, my wife and I took a shower. In retrospective unsurprisingly, the cleaning staff knocked on our door, the car still parked right in front of the room. We yelled back “Not now” and it got quiet, so we thought they would wait until we left. A few moments later we were proven to be wrong. I walked into the bedroom the way I was born and literally ran into 2 cleaning people. Instead of apologizing and leaving or just quietly leaving I felt like a bunch of chicken was being chased off the farm.

Obviously, I complained the next morning during check-out (on the same day we had to rush to keep a few appointments). The nice young employee mentioned above suggested to have a conversation with the innkeeper first, and ask him to call me the same day before taking any action. The call never came. The action was that I was charged the full amount of our stay before a conversation had taken place.

The only communication was an email 3 days later from the innkeeper that he was on jury duty (on a Sunday?), had some ear infection and that the staff is not to enter the room when the associated vehicle is in the lot. Duh! There was no response to the statement that my mother caught a cold thanks to the well-trained cleaning staff.

In summary, if you want to waste your money, be insulted and/or exposed, or have a skimpy breakfast, book here. This place lives off the fact that they are in Kennebunkport, GB senior dines here at times (they say) and they are separated from the Atlantic by the road only.

My opinion: A waste of money!

Unique Quality: Right on the Atlantic

Directions: Narrow side road along the Atlantic coast

• 850prc's Profile Photo

A fine choice out on Ocean Drive

We only "eye-balled" this inn as we explored Ocean Drive. I later did a bit of research on costs, etc.

The Cape Arundel Inn looks like a very classy and charming inn. And, if you'd like to stay out on Ocean Drive, with the Atlantic surf pounding just across the street, I'd say that this establishment would be your best choice.

Unique Quality: Again, if staying seaside is your choice, the Cape Arundel has the best of locations in Kennebunkport.

Directions: From Dock Square, proceed "out of town". As you make the basic turn to the left at land's end, it'll be only about another 1/5 mile to the Cape Arundel Inn, which is on the left. The inn is less than a mile from the Bush compound.

Comments