Captain Lord Mansion

6 Pleasant Street, (P.O. Box 800), Kennebunkport, Maine, 04046-0800, United States

Official Site

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo

The Captain's Garden House: Lois Room

Located behind The Captain Lord Mansion is the intimate 4-guestroom mini B&B, The Captain's Garden House. Just as luxurious and romantic as the CLM but with an added peaceful serenity. Each of the 4 guestrooms are exquisitely decorated and include 4-poster beds, cozy gas fireplaces, and heated bathroom floor. Although the Lois room's floor wasn't heating for us during our stay.
    Rooms come complete with a selection of romantic and easy-listening CDs, a variety of books (including several Christain titles) to read, and games such as Dominoes.

A three course breakfast is served at 9am every morning. Complimentary snacks, soda, water, self serve coffee, tea, and a yummy hot cider drink called Glogg are available in the kitchen.
    In warmer months you can enjoy lounging in the wicker chairs out on the porch.

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo

The Captain Lord Mansion

The Captain Lord Mansion is a gorgeous bed & breakfast located in Kennebunkport. Each room is uniquely decorated, fabulously detailed, and immaculate. We stayed in the Dana room where we literally had to climb into the four poster bed (ladder is provided). My favorite features of the room were the fireplace, Jacuzzi, and the odd looking sea horse hanging on the wall. We were celebrating Cory’s birthday and our Anniversary and the innkeepers, Bev & Rick, graciously provided us with champagne and chocolates.
    I read many past guest entries in the several memory books which were in the room. The memory books spanned about 10 years and were full of guest’s impressions of the mansion and narratives of their visits. I was amazed of how many people from all over the world have stayed at the inn 10 – 20+ times. Although I loved every moment of my stay here, I feel compelled to comment on all the lavish praise past guests have given the staff. Personally, we had no contact with the owners, Bev & Rick, and did not feel any warmth or receive special treatment from the staff at all. I can’t imagine being the only one to feel this way and wondered several times during my trip if any negative mention was taken out of the memory books. The only time we bothered the staff with a question (if they knew of movie theaters in the area with more of one showing of each movie a day) we received a dismissive response of “go check the board”.
    Breakfasts are served at set seating times and since this is a Bed & Breakfast, you will be sitting with others. The breakfasts are quite good and I enjoyed sitting with the other guests, but again there was really no welcoming feeling.
    All the guests we saw were couples, no single people or families. I don’t think I would have enjoyed myself as much if I were a single traveler.
    The guests were a mix of young and old. Overall, everybody was very friendly. However, the regulars seemed to be of the wealthy sort and there was a lot of unnecessary bragging about jobs and lifestyles.

Unique Quality: Jacuzzi, Heated bath floors, Gas burning fireplaces

CD player with romantic cds, Free bottled water and sodas

honeymoon, birthday or anniversary champagne

Memory garden: I would love to stay here again someday but I don’t think I’ll make the 10 or more visits to get a brick with my name on it in the Memory Garden.

Memory books

More about Captain Lord Mansion

Another excellent visit to the Captain Lord Mansion

Stayed at the Captain Lord Mansion with my husband for the 4th time last week. Everything was as wonderful as usual. The only thing that I did not like was the additon of a lot of paintings hanging on the walls with "for sale" price tags on them. Also a bathrobe hanging on our bathroom door had a note attached to it saying that the same robe can be bought in the gift shop downstairs. I think that this is a bit tacky!!

Great for anniversary getaway

My wife and I recently stayed here for our anniversary in early November. It was absolutely fabulous. Definitely the highlight of our trip! We have traveled all over the US, and this is now one of my top 3 picks. It is a very romantic place, and it seems as though they cater to couples like us who are looking for a romantic getaway. The people at Captain Lord mansion were all very friendly and helpful. The rooms were decorated beautifully. The only negative thing that I could say about it was the breakfast. Some people may enjoy pumpkin pancakes, quiche w/ mushrooms & leek, and other non-typical breakfast items, but I would rather stick with just plain old bacon & eggs, etc. Nevertheless, this did not put a damper on our stay. We just decided by the 3rd day to get breakfast elsewhere.
Also, the main downside to Kennebunkport at that time of year was that several restaurants in town were already closed for the season.
Overall, still a great experience. We would go back in a heartbeat!

Just what I needed!

by TripAdvisor Member TMCUSER1

This was our first time trip to Kennebunkport with wife at the Captain Lord Mansion at the recommendation of a friend and found the experience to be wonderful. Kennebunkport was the first stop in a short vacation that also included Quebec City. The Inn itself is museum-like, with all types of European oil paintings covering just about every wall area although with what would seem stuffy certainly is not; the staff was very inviting, accomodating and personable. We particularly liked the afteroon snacks and fresh coffee that the chef puts out at about 3:00pm every day (my wife liked the home-made whoopie-pies but I prefered the apple cake!). The room as a junior-suite was absolutely spotless clean with a small sitting area, fireplace and a bed that actually had a small step-ladder to climb into (that's how comfortable it was). The room itself was like stepping into a picture in Architectural Digest, with (from what we understood from the staff) all of the linens, bedsheets and window treatments being hand-made by one of the owners which I found to be a nice personal touch (no Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware items here!). The best part was the bathroom, which had multiple shower heads and nozzles that simulated a mini-spa experience (I didn't want to get out!). As we did not know really anything about the area in terms of dining, I had the staff make restaurant reservations for us in advance and they did not disappoint. We ate at the Cape Arundel Inn and On the Marsh Restaurants both of which we found to be excellent. I found the town of Kennebunkport to be somewhat small, touristy and uninspiring - requisite tee-shirt, coffee-mug and chocolate shops abound - although it is a five minute walk from the inn if that. The breakfast in the morning was pretty good and although I am not a big fan of eating at community tables with other people (especially in the morning) it was fine. I would definitely return to the inn again in a heartbeat for a romantic stay, especially in the fall when it is probably the most beautiful.

On the Fence

by TripAdvisor Member CEDFR

This inn is in a very convenient location to downtown Kennebunkport. The inn itself is lovely, very well appointed rooms, and the shared areas are cozy and well decorated. Ok, here are my pet peeves about the inn:
a) everything has a price tag on it. The inn has a gift shop downstairs and sells everything that is upstairs from pictures on the walls to anything little object decorating the inn. This, to me, is tacky, and b) the breakfast is served either in an overcrowded, stuffy kitchen or the living room area. On morning one we made the mistake of eating in the kitchen with way too many people. It was dreadful. On morning two I could not bear to eat in that kitchen again so we sat in the other room (much to the chagrin of the overbearing woman who runs the breakfast show). I really felt like I was in the army at breakfast. She belted out the menu very fast (I doubt anyone understood her) and the food was on the table. Eat and get out. That's how we felt. It was not at all the nice relaxing experience it should have been and the food was meeted out like it was scarce (and at these prices they should not be cheap with the guests). I know everyone loves this place but I'm on the fence. The bed part was nice, its the breakfast part they REALLY need to work on.

This is an ideal B&B

by TripAdvisor Member evergreen123

We traveled around New England the last week of September and this was far and away our favorite place to stay. The rooms were exquisite, the hosts were very friendly, it was incredibly well furnished and the breakfast was great! I was a little leary about the price of the room, but am so glad now that we splurged... it was worth every cent! This should be the model for all B&Bs.

Staff is dedicated and caring....

by TripAdvisor Member kdpezz

Just back from yet another wonderful stay at CLM. I noticed some of the other reviews were a little critical of the staff and their procedures, but I'd just like to say from my experience the service there has been nothing but the very best, and I am an average income, everyday person. This place (particularly in winter) is warm and inviting. You feel like it is your home, and not like you are intruding at all. The area rugs are cushioned and not hard and flat against the wood flooring. All the rooms' walls are insulated. I find the entire mansion to be peaceful and inviting, basically like it's your home and you have the run of the place. The gift shop downstairs you are welcome to meander through anytime of day, there is no one down there and you are free to bring your purchases to the office to add to your tab, on the honor system. I am a student and usually up way past everyone, and the staff lets me 'shut down' the Gathering Room on my own so I can study down there by the fire and not disturb my sleeping husband upstairs.

As for breakfast, yes part of the setup is a family style breakfast in the morning. Aside from the occasional stuffed shirt, most guests are engaging and pleasant, and like you, are there to have a good time. But this way of serving the meal is primarily due to the fact that the breakfast is fresh made, so while some may have felt the procedure was rushed, I didn't feel that way at all...they are just trying to do their job in delivering you the best breakfast possible, which for a large group is no easy task (a buffet is rather impersonal when the goal of CLM is to be personal!). It's a lot of work and for the person who chose to eat apart from the group 'much to the chagrin of the woman' with the work it takes to do what they do I think that's inappropriate. While you pay a good penny to be there, you are still 'guests' of this establishment. The portions are not small, but they do give you small servings at a time instead of a hogging plate full of food, and there is always plenty to be had for further helpings and they are very vocal about letting everyone know they are welcome to as much as they want and are extremely attentive to their guests. If one guest out of 20 prefers flavored coffee, they will brew a whole separate pot. The past two mornings we lingered at breakfast for an hour, which is hardly a rushed meal. Also, some of the staff that assist the chef with breakfast also help out in other areas of the mansion, so they do tend to clean up and clear away quickly but you are never felt that you need to leave. This time of year there is a lot of maintenance being done and the few men they have are allowed to come in the kitchen after the guests have left and enjoy a gourmet breakfast. I think that says a lot about Rick and Bev and how they run the CLM. There was even a note on the side of the fridge for someone to run down and get a carrot cake from the local bakery b/c a guest requested one for her husband's birthday. Housekeeping is excellent and the girls are friendly and seem genuinely happy...everyone that works here from the office to cleaning staff seems to take pride in this place and it really shows in their work and their attitudes. It is true that there is a lot of things for sale, but it's mostly gift shop overflow and around the office area. Many guests often request items the CLM has, such as their glogg recipe, their bathrobes, soaps and musical CDs, even their fine art and the CLM tries to accomodate their guests by making these things available. They offer the Cali bath line in their gift shop for $3.25/8 oz. shampoo, conditioner, etc....I can't find it anywhere else for under $12, so that's a pretty good deal.

The website to this place says it all...it's nothing less than one of the nicest experiences you'll ever have. We like to getaway in the winter midweek so the rate for what you get is not bad at all, and it's a very cozy place in the winter, even though many things are shut down. Freeport, Kittery and Portland are all fairly close and have plenty to keep you busy.

You won't be disappointed!!!

Beautiful, Charming, Intimate, Romantic Inn

I absolutely loved staying at this quaint little mansion. I went with my boyfriend in January of 2005, for just one night. A horrible snowstorm had hit the area so the entire town of Kennebunkport was closed, including all of the local restaurants. So this forced me to stay in my room the entire time, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

I stayed in the Regulator room, a large, spacious corner unit decorated in warm orange and red tones. The room had a gas fireplace, and oversized jacuzzi tub perfect to fit two people. The bathroom also had heated marble tiled floors, all perfect attributes to enjoy on a cold winter night.

The room was extremely cozy, and although the mansion is built like a home, I could not hear any noise going on in any other rooms, even though the place was nearly full.

Breakfast the following morning was decent, but very different. It is set up like a community breakfast. You sit at long tables with other couples in an oversized kitchen, while there is one waitress serving everybody. I felt a little bit uncomfortable, but only because I was eating so closely with strangers, and my boyfriend and I were the youngest ones there.

But other than that, I would definitely return. I would love to stay there in the summertime, so I could explore the area more. Kennebunkport has a lot of great dining and beaches and shopping closeby.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a romantic getaway. Check out their website for detailed pictures and descriptions of the rooms!

Outstanding

by TripAdvisor Member laZlite

We stayed here for three nights on our honeymoon. Absolutley beautiful. We stayed in the Excelsior Suite. Fantastic antique furnishings and decor. The bathroom was exquisite... heated marble floor, jacuzzi, and European oil paintings on the walls. Even the hallway up to the room was filled with antiques and art. We've never seen so much charachter in a b&b.

As beautiful as the room was, the highlights of the stay for us were the three course breakfasts in the morning. I can honestly say that they were the three best breakfasts I've had in my life. Breakfast is cooked right in front of you, in the large country kitchen... the chef (I believe her name was Sue) is incredible.

The staff was very friendly. Another review described them as "stuffy". I think that reviewer mistook the "new england" tone in their voices for rudeness. If you've spent any time in New England, you'll know that they're not being rude - that's just the way they talk. Actually, I'd consider them one of the best b&b staffs I've encountered.

They're website has great photos of all the rooms, so you can pick just the right one. If you have your heart set on a particular room, make the reservation as early as possible. We originally wanted the Champion Suite, but it was booked. We were very happy with the Excelsior, though.

Comments