Lodge at Turbat's Creek

Seven Turbat's Creek Road, PO Box 2722, Kennebunkport, Maine, 04046, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

• Not as clean as stated in reviews

Traveled with my husband, my kids, my parents, and my sister in law and her family. My room had splattered bugs on the wall, streaky mirrors. My toilet had a black ring around the toilet, my shower curtain and rubber bath mat had mold on it. The dust was thick on the hair dryer and towel racks. The tub need some bleach and a good scrubbing. I had to resort to giving my children sponge baths. I bumped into my cleaning lady on her way out of our room and told her about the mat mold. She came back with one that was just as bad dried up with cracks in it. I then went into my bathroom right after she "cleaned" it, there were remnant band aid rappers from my husband the day before in the sink!
    Now... My sister in law walked into her room initially and smelled feces, so they changed her room. Later that night she pulled back the blanket to put the kids in and noticed that the sheets were covered with tiny hairs!
    My parents found their mattress uncomfortable and were also unsatisfied with their rooms cleanness.
    The lady at the front desk was nice and helpful, the breakfast was ok, location was good as well but, for me does not make up for the dirty rooms! Shame on you folks who were raving about how clean your rooms were! I guess we have different standards.

More about Kennebunkport

1800's home in Kennebunk1800's home in Kennebunk

A DOWNTOWN INTERSECIONA DOWNTOWN INTERSECION

WELCOMEWELCOME

Carriage - Kennebunkport StreetCarriage - Kennebunkport Street

Travel Tips for Kennebunkport

Mary's Cookies

by kidkilowatt

In all of the years I have been coming to Kennebunkport, I have never actually seen Mary in the flesh, but every morning she drops her wares (giant chocolate chip cookies) to all of the local markets, shops and cafe type places. It is best if you can secure a cookie in the morning, as they are the freshest then- gooey and delicious. I would say that Mary's chocolate chip cookies are right up there with the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever had, so seek one out and judge for yourself.

Want to be Bush's next-door neighbor?

by pchamlis

This was the closest available home to the Bush compound. This little place was listed at a cool one million bucks.

Although it could use some roof work, and maybe a little more yardspace, it was only about 400 yards down the road from the entrance to the Bush compound.

If you moved in, I'm sure you could occasionally borrow a cup of seafood boil from Barbara if you were to run short. I enjoyed walking along Ocean Drive and admiring the lovely homes. Some old, some not.... but all had character.

When I win the lottery, I'm buying a home in Maine. : ) .....or maybe Vermont.

Another unique gift shop item

by pchamlis

Most of the gift shops in Kennebunkport cover a "usual" range of items. Depending on the shop, you'll see t-shirts and sweatshirts, sweaters, pottery, figurines and assorted gift items celebrating the Kennebunks.

But, look around, and you're liable to find some really "out there" stuff. I enjoy finding the odd item that is truly unique, a true conversation piece. When it comes to "odd" and "different" items, two shops stood out.

The first is "Carrots and Company", a happy kind of store that celebrates laughter and joy, in a quirky way. I have written a shopping tip on this shop, and there are a couple of photos on this website.

The second is called "All About Me". It is the last store on the "west" side of Western Avenue before the bridge into Lower Kennebunk. (Walk south away from Dock Square on Western Avenue. About 200 feet from Dock Square on the right is "All About Me") This shop had a whimsical and slightly naughty collection of figurines and little statuettes to satisfy the closet cabaret or biker freak in all of us. Check out the nifty little biker babe / "into leather" statuette below in the photo. Spend a few minutes in this store, it's worth the time. The cashier was a little "out there", too.....in a pleasant way.

Drive out to Cape Porpoise

by pchamlis

Cape Porpoise is a lobstering village just outside Kennebunkport. It's not a tourist photo-op, it's a real place inhabited by fishermen and their families. It's a hard life and it's also a life that is slowly disappearing from New England.

There's something historic and satisfying in enjoying a bowl of chowder in Cape Porpoise as you watch the picturesque lobstering fleet in the bay.

Chowda at Cape Porpoise

by pchamlis about The Cape Pier Chowder House

Cape Porpoise is a small "lobstering" village about 2 miles north of Kennebunkport. It's a great place to go and see the lobster fleet in the harbor, and to get the feel for a place where people truly still earn their living from the sea.

Right at Cape Porpoise is the Cape Pier Chowder House. It's main feature is, SURPRISE.....chowder(s). There are other seafood items, as you'd guess.

The food is good, but the atmosphere is genuine New England fishing village stuff. Definitely worth an afternoon stop. Well, the chowder was very good. Of course, if you are a "chowder house", you'd better know your way around the bowl. And, the folks at Cape Pier do a fine job of making gooooood clam "chowda".

Comments