140 Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport, Maine, 04046, United States

Colony Hotel
Travelocity Expedia.com Otel.com

• From bad to worse, each year!

We have made the mistake of staying here 2 years in a row. The first year was in the little shacks they have across the street from the main building that have no water views and feel like a Motel6. The second year we stayed and paid to be in the main building and suffered with no AC and no in room fridge and those tiny cheap little soaps and shampoo and old white towels.

Unique Quality: They also nickel & dime you at every turn. There is an up-charge for every kid, for a cot, for a fridge in the room and keeping in mind there is no AC or TV in any of the rooms in the main building this place is a joke.

Directions: Ocean front Kennebunk

More about Kennebunkport

Main square at Dock Square & Ocean AveMain square at Dock Square & Ocean Ave

A SHOP WITH A MORE POLITICAL BENTA SHOP WITH A MORE POLITICAL BENT

St. Ann's windowSt. Ann's window

Kennebunkport Street SceneKennebunkport Street Scene

two questions

by nichole_521

I visited Maine four years ago. We spend a night in Kennebunkport and we loved it. I am curious to know the place where I stayed (I falied to write it down), but it was a small place near a huge, gorgeous hotel. Where we stayed was owned by a husband and wife and it was lovely. I believe they lived there. It had a nice yard full of flowers and a hamick.

Second question. We ate at a wonderful lobster shack. Does anyone know the name. They served us on garbage can lids and it was on the ocean. The tabels were like picnic tables and everyone sat by each other.

Any help would be appreciated. : )

Nichole

Re: two questions

by nichole_521

I think I found the anwer to my second question. I believe it is York Seafood. : )

RE: RE: two questions

by rainwater5

Hello,
I will be traveling to Maine this Oct. I was interested in the Lobster Shack that you mentioned. You mentioned that you thought it was called York Seafood. I tried to find out information on this Lobster Shack but have had no luck. Was it in Kennebunkport? If you have any more info on the location, I'd appreciate it. Thank you. Trudy

Re: two questions

by mainelover

My best guess for the lobster shack was Cape Pier Chowder House, a cool joint owned by the local lobstermen. It is right on the water in Cape Porpoise and is beautiful, plus the food is great and reasonable. I am not certain on where you may have stayed, but I live in Kennebunkport and I always send my family members/friends to The Maine Stay Inn and Cottages (www.mainestayinn.com). They got new owners last year who are absolutely fantastic. This place has always been great and you sure can't beat the location, but NOW - WOW! They have had us over for breakfast which was really phenomenal and have done a ton of renovations. And their hospitality can't be beat - all our recent visitors have really been wowed and say it is truly a hidden gem. Give them a try next time!

Travel Tips for Kennebunkport

KENNEBUNKPORT

by LoriPori

During the last century KENNEBUNKPORT has become a popular resort area and even more so in recent years as many sightseers come to view the summer home of former U.S. President George H. W. Bush, also visited by his son President George W. Bush and his family. The town includes Cape Porpoise, the original settlement and Goose Rocks Beach. Beautiful 18th and 19th century houses line the Ocean Avenue. Goat Island Lighthouse, just out on the water from the Cape Porpoise Pier, is a favourite viewing spot.

Friendly locals

by pchamlis

Kennebunkport may be a touristy and tweedy, upper-crust kind of town, but it's very, very friendly and hospitable as well.

All the shopkeepers, waiters, innkeepers and the like seemed more than happy to spend a little time just talking with you. We were made to feel most welcome. There were so many instances of this village hospitality. The shining example of the local friendliness would have to be our innkeepers, MaryEllen and Edric Mason at the 1802 Inn. (see hotel tips, as well as the separate travelogue)

But, every shop offered another chance to meet and enjoy the locals.

As a side note, when my love-starved friend in Tallahassee saw this photo of the lovely YOUNG lady standing under a sign that read "wishes granted here", he said that he wished she were 21. : ) Please pray for my friend.....he needs it.

Gift shops.....they're not ALL the same

by pchamlis

Like any tourist town with lots of gift shops, you'll fall into the realization that most of the shops are selling the same stuff. While this is, of course, somewhat true in Kennebunkport, it's not 100% fact.

You'll find a few things in each gift shop that nobody else seems to have. So, my advice is to wander into all of them, if you're spending an afternoon walking around the Kennebunks. As an example of what I say, I saw these little "ships in a bottle" in shop called Gibran (see shopping tip), right at Dock Square. It was the only place in town that I saw them.

Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge

by KarenandCory

Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge is a short drive from Kennebunkport.
It's named after the mother of the environmental movement, Rachel Carson, whose book "Silent Spring" introduced the public to the harmful nature of pesticides.
The National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1966.
There is a free 1 mile trail at the headquarters in Wells.

Open sunrise to sunset for bird watching and self-guided tours. Rt. 1 to Wells, East on Rt. 9. (207) 646-1555.
321 Port Road/ Wells, Maine

Another great place for clams

by pchamlis about Bartley's Fried Clam take-out, Kennebunkport

Bartley's Take-Out is located just on the "lower Kennebunk" side of the tiny drawbridge at Kennebunkport. Leaving Kennebunkport, it's on the left side just after you cross the bridge.

This is nothing fancy, they have very little space for sit-down dining, other than a few picnic tables. What they DO have is fresh and tasty clams, fish, scallops and lobster rolls. It's just another great place to get some local flavor while you're enjoying the villages. The haddock is especially tasty and fresh. The french fries are good, as is the cole slaw.

Comments