Mount Desert Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• TempNomad profile photo TempNomad
  • Reviews: 498

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Heron Cove Cottage: Luxury rental for groups or a large family.

We loved staying at this house last summer. It is roomy, comfortable, and clean. There are four bedrooms and three bathrooms, and it has direct/private access to a swimmable beach. There is a hammock, and it has all the amenities you need to really live there for a week or two. I'll leave you to peruse the website to see more detail. I highly recommend a stay there, but please deal directly with the owners and keep records. We are in the midst of attempting to recoup our deposit from the former agent. (See my warnings tips and below.)

My one complaint is completely personal. We had reserved a week for the summer of 2008, and SOMEthing happened to the records despite our deposit being cashed back in October/November. The owner told us (only in April!) that a hurricane had damaged the home and the home would not be available for rent until September. It turns out the house is booked solid for the entire summer. I understand embarrassment. I understand that a rental agent screwed the owner. However, I don't like lies. Just be honest with us and return the deposit we gave you six months ago!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written April 28, 2008

• TempNomad profile photo TempNomad
  • Reviews: 498

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mary's Cottages: Rent a House just off the island, but on the water

We rented a house for a week while staying in the area. It was huge, too big for just the two of us! But my in-laws came up for a few days, and we had a friend stay for another day, so it worked out well. It's definitely a very comfortable option for two couples, or even three. It would also be great for a family.

We had a full kitchen with cooking a serving utensils as well as paper towels, a huge deck with a gas grill, two full baths with tp, a pathway to a wonderful walking beach, our own driveway with parking, cable tv, a radio, linens and towels and soap, closets with lots of hangers, and a washer/dryer....you get the idea. It was $1495 for the week, which is a bit pricy to me, but we were able to cook for ourselves, so that saved money. Also, if two couples are sharing, it makes it very affordable.

I recommend reserving early for the summer months. The price goes down to $995 in the off-season. There is also a smaller cottage for $895 in-season and $750 off season. Linda and Peter are attentive and will address concerns without being obstrusive.

Three houses share the entrance to the beach, but it was very isolated. The deck faces Goose Cove, and there is an eagle in the vicinity. I only saw it once, but it was majestic. When you arrive, there is a jar of strawberry-rhubarb jam and some oatmeal bread on the kitchen table. Very nice. There are a couple of games and many books to choose from. I read three of the _Anne of Green Gables_ series while we were there. :)

We will definitely look into renting from here again. It was clean, welcoming, and it had lots of space. It's also nice to be outside of the Bar Harbor area so you can choose when to be hectic and when to be relaxed. It's within five minutes of a grocery store (IGA) and within five minutes of three different lobster pounds (see restaurant tips).

See Cyberrentals or Greatrentals for Trenton for the full information.

• Opinion of Price: about average