Rockmere Lodge

150 Stearns Road, Ogunquit, Maine, 03907, United States

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

An Oceanside Bed & Breakfast ...

Seasonal! See the web sites for prices. Remember breakfast is included and if you were to stay in a Motel/Hotel, that would mean an additional $20 a couple if you ate breakfast out everyday. Altho you don't have a menu to pick from, we had something different everyday and everyday was a delight!

Unique Quality: Most of their rooms have a view of the ocean as well as a common sitting room in what we called the 'tower room' for all quest who wish to use it. Rockmere is owned by three guys, Bob, Andy and Doug, who were the most wonderful hosts! Right from the start, Bob made us feel at home.
    We had a delightful time talking with our hosts, Bob or Andy during breakfast. Although it rained most of the time, it was nice enough to have our breakfast on the porch for our last morning there. And I can't say enough about the breakfast .... everyday was a treat! Both of us hope to get back there again and of course we'll stay at the Rockmere Lodge...
    I think it'll be on the top floor next time and we won't have to go far to sit in the "tower room".

Directions: By the Marginal Way ... check out their website for directions and a map.

More about Rockmere Lodge

A peaceful place by the Sea!

by TripAdvisor Member RozB

Andy, Bob, and Doug are the most accomodating and friendly hosts. Their B&B is just fabulous. The landscaping is just like the picture on the Internet; only more spectacular in person. The location is great; close enough to everything yet so private and peaceful. Breakfast is a real treat and the walks along Marginal Way are breathtaking. The rooms are comfortable and appropriately decorated.

Great B&B!

This was our first stay w/Andy, Bob, and Doug at Rockmere Lodge in beautiful and quaint Ogunquit, and although it rained all up and down the east coast that weekend, we still had a wonderful time. The hosts made our stay delightful and the breakfasts were wonderful, the grounds and house are impeccably kept! There is much to do in the area, indoors (museums, exhibitions, etc.), and outside (shops, sightseeing, lighthouses). The area restaurants are great and seafood was excellent! Thank you, Andy for the directions to everything from someone who is directionally challenged! And so gracious about the repeated calls! Thank you, so much for your expertise and patience! Loved the weekend!
Ken & Elaine

Great place to recharge the batteries

A rainy and chilly Columbus Day weekend but the warmth and friendliness of this lovely Victorian home and the company of the three innkeepers certainly made the trip worthwhile. We have been guests of Andy, Bob, and Doug in the past and this fall after a hectic, event filled summer, we needed the Rockmere atmosphere to rest and relax. We almost missed the delicious breakfast both days because the luxury of sleeping in and listening to the ocean takes precedent even over Doug’s great food.

Breakfast with the other guests was a treat. There were people from all over with the same appreciation for Rockmere. And the conversation…definitely engaging and enjoyable.

Upon arrival we learned that the room we had booked had been damaged by a leak in the roof. Andy’s mom and brother traded their room for the damaged one and we enjoyed a restful weekend. Now THAT is being accommodating. Thanks so much guys. We’ll be back!

Dave & Laurie

Another great trip!

The Rockmere was recommended to us by our son & daughter-in-law about 6 years ago. We have been spending our October get-a-way with Bob, Doug & Andy ever since. You are a guest in their home and they make you feel like old friends immediately. We stay in the same room every year with wonderful views of the ocean in all directions. We love the fact that we can park our car on arrival and walk everywhere we need to go. The breakfast is so filling we don't eat again until dinner. We are so happy to have found this special place to re-charge our batteries

Extremely Rude Host/Questionable Cleanliness

Based upon Rockmere Lodge's stirling brochure, my wife and I made reservations with Doug for a specific room. At that time, we specifically stated that we did not want a particular room that could only be accessed from the outside. Upon arrival we were cordially signed-in by Doug and the balance for a two night stay was cheerfully taken. We were then escorted to....you guessed it.....the room we specifically stated that we did not want. We reminded Doug of our request when we made the reservations and that we had a signed confirmation accepting payment for the specific room. At no time were we informed of any changes. Doug was sympathetic and courteous but said that no other room was available and that we had to speak with Bob. Bob was abrupt, rude, abusive and few other adjectives. He absolutely refused to refund our money, give credit for a future stay or negotiate in any manner. We will likely have to resort to litigation to recieve a refund.
In regard to cleanliness, Doug was dressed in soiled work clothes, the reception area reeked of mothballs, and the room we were offered was covered in dust. Doug also had informed us that 4 dogs were being kept in the kitchen area of the house (where breakfast is prepared).
Rockmere Lodge Brochure = Diamond Rockmere Lodge = Lump of Coal

Tranquility Base (without going to the Moon)

If you're looking for old world charm, peace and quiet and an eyeful of beautiful Mother Nature, this is the place. I have never been to such a lovely, warm and comfortable inn. The inkeepers have restored this home and now you get a chance to live in it on your vacation. I highly recommend Rockmere Lodge for its charm, comfort and hospitality.

Winter Wonderland

by TripAdvisor Member nmaione

My boyfriend and I went for a romantic holiday weekend away and we were not disappointed. The house was lovely filled with holiday decorations and antiques. The view was spectacular. We stayed on the top floor and we were the only ones in the house. Andy and Doug treated us like royality. We had a magnificent breakfast--BOTH mornings!! (Andy's eggs were just as good as Doug's pancakes.) They were so considerable and helpful. We drove in during an awful snow storm and they guided us down the roads and dug out and moved our car when we were stuck in the snow, so we could enjoy a quiet relaxing evening without worrying about the car. We would def go back in the future and would recommend it to everyone who loves B&B's.

Rude and nasty

by TripAdvisor Member jsc0626

Let me preface this review by stating that we did not have the opportunity to stay at the Rockmere. We just had the unfortunate experience of booking a room and having to deal with Bob, the nastiest innkeeper I have ever dealt with. We had made our reservation early in February 2006, for a one-night stay in July. When I made the reservation on the phone, I was told that my American Express card would be charged for the one night stay immediately. I had no problem with that. Due to a conflict with other travel plans, our Maine vacation had to be cancelled. In mid-March, we notified the other two inns where we intended to stay that we were unable to keep our reservations and both inns promptly refunded our deposits, less a $20 and $30 booking fee respectively. They were lovely to deal with, and both were sorry we had to cancel but appreciated that we cancelled so far in advance. They asked us to please consider staying with them if our plans changed again. Then I called the Rockmere. I spoke with Bob who was nasty - borderline rude - and who said that he would refund our deposit of $240.75 LESS A $75 BOOKING FEE!!!! OK, it's hard to blame them since their cancellation policy is spelled out on their website and in their confirmation letter. Frankly, I didn't pay much attention to it since I did not think we would be canceling. So as I said, I can't blame them for my ignorance. I accepted the penalty without protest because it was stated in their paperwork. He said it could be up to 3 weeks to process the refund (why should that take 3 weeks? I can't imagine). He was curt, nasty and had a basic lousy attitude. Honestly, I thought perhaps he should have been happy since 1) he was getting $75 for doing absolutely nothing at all!!! and 2) we cancelled so far in advance there is no way he will be stuck unable to rent the room. I ignored his lousy attitude. Today however, I called the inn because it has been three weeks since our first call and still no refund. I spoke with Doug, another of the innkeepers. Very nice guy. He really was apologetic but said his computer was down. He said Bob, who handles all the bookings, is in Florida and I should call him about that. And so I did. He was once again nasty, rude, curt and disrespectful telling me he processed the refund and he doesn't know what else to tell me. In other words, he had no intentions of contacting American Express to see why my account had not been credited, and basically it was my problem. I will take this further, and I'm sure I will get my refund. Obviously. He will be forced to contact American Express. But I could not believe his attitude, especially for an Innkeeper! Why does someone have to treat someone that way? Especially when he is ahead of the game, taking $75 from me (and other unfortunate souls that have to cancel) for no reason (other than that he can because that is the house "policy"). He will most certainly rebook the room! I don't get it. All I would say to those who intend to stay in their home is watch out for this guy. If you read the reviews here, others talk about Bob as well. There must be a reason. This guy has a serious attitude problem and is clearly in the wrong business. I would also suggest to those who intend to stay at Rockmere, make darned sure that you won't have to cancel! We haven't found another lodge or inn in Maine that will take $75 for a cancellation!!!

Wonderful Place; Nice Innkeepers!

by TripAdvisor Member MSBourbeau

My wife and I haave just returned from a very lovely stay at Rockmere. This is a wonderful Victorian B&B, with a fantastic location. We had been guests several times a few years ago, and were very glad we came back. Our room was newly and tastefully decorated, and quite lovely; the breakfasts tasty, elegantly arranged, and simply teriffic, the inkeepers jovial and attentive, and the walk along Ogunquit's nearby "Marginal Way" cliffwalk over the ocean breathtaking. This B&B's rooms are all unique, and show a creative and loving attention to detail. Rocknere's location is idea l- about halfway between the center of town and Perkins Cove, both within walking distance with a number of extremely good restaurants and shops.
I highly recommend Rockmere.

Comments