125 Shore Road, Ogunquit, Maine, 03907, United States
Booking.com

More about The Anchorage By the Sea

They don't need you

by TripAdvisor Member vacationguyBoston

I would say what most others say about this hotel: the rooms are shabby motel style, but the pool and and location are nice. I've stayed here 3 times and never found the service to be the best. The owners have definitely figured out the the secret to their success, which is that people with some means keep coming back for the amenities (pools, hottub) and the location, and will tolerate motel style service and extra charges for everything to get them.

If you call to reserve a room and find they are booked, don't expect sympathy. Not having to fight for bookings has made the hotel apathetic about service.

One of the BEST

My wife and I stayed again this year at the Lightship
unit of the resort. The room was absolutely
fantastic. This is definitely one of the best rooms that we have ever stayed in and we do travel quite often. The woman { sorry I didn't get your name } who gave me this room was really pleasant and helpful with such a short notice. You and the resort are great..........see you soon.
ps: please give me the same room the next visit.

Ruined our trip to Maine

We have stayed at many $$ places in Maine over the years and had no problems. Decided to try the Anchorage this year because of proximity to the beach and great pools. We found the staff to be rude and incompetent. Our room had a filthy, damp carpet that made your feet black if you walked barefoot. The bathroom was so small you could barely go in and close the door. The decor looked worn and not updated for the past 20 years. Then it all came down to nickel and diming us for everything! We paid extra for parking, extra $20 per night for kids over 2. At $210 per night, you would think there would be great amenities.....not so. We had to call 2 -3 times anytime we needed anything, we were charged $20 each for 2 beach towels we brought back to our room instead of returning to the desk. There was no continental breakfast, newspapers, or any extras that all of the other $$ Ogunquit hotels provide. We really felt like we were spending our time at the Motel 6. On the upside, the grounds, view and pools were great. Maybe we should have camped out on the lawn! We will never go back to the Anchorage again.

Pleasantly surprised!

My family (husband and one-year old) stayed at the Anchorage in early August of 2004. After reading the reviews we were pretty alarmed about what to expect, but overall we were very happy with the hotel. The rooms are not fancy, but we are hardly in our room on vacation so that didn't matter to us. What did matter was the location! The views (we were in the Oceanfront section of the hotel) are spectacular, and the amenities at the hotel were great (two pools, multiple jacuzzi's, showers, breakfast/lunch/cocktails (basic food but good), great gardens, and a big grassy front yard - perfect for a one year old that likes to be on the go!). Waking right onto the Marginal Way, or steps into downtown (considering parking and traffic is always crazy there), or 15 mins to the beach (parking is expensive and hard to get after 10 am anyways), or to Perkins Cove, I couldn't have asked for anything better location wise! Also, we had some minor hiccups (maintenance mostly) with the room, but the staff was very responsive to our needs at all times. One problem if you're a light sleeper, it was a little noisy. Being on the ground level was probably worse than upper-level. If you are looking for the Ritz Carlton rooms, don't go to the Anchorage. (I'd highly recomnend the main hotel - not across the street unless in the new building). If you're looking for great location, with a nice view and grounds, great access to the town, beach and Marginal Way, and some of the added ammenities other hotels don't offer, give it a shot! You may be pleasently surprised. We'll definitely go back.

Great location, poorest attitute

A trip to Oqunquit with my mother, in her 80's is usually a high point of the year. What could be more beautiful than the Marginal Way? Even the view could not compete with the rude service. I asked when the room would be ready, and explained that I was with an elder. Cold as the Maine water, the desk person and manager, said, "Check in is at 3." Not, "is there anything we can do to make you mre comfortable while you wait." Then, I asked about reservations for summer stock theatre, and they said, "the number is in the brochure. I have no idea if there are tickets." The examples could go on. There is no retreat to this resort. the gardens and view are beautiful, if you can ignore the people who work there.

Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed In!

This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, and with terrible service too! The rooms were cramped and contained only double sized beds. This was difficult living since my two children stayed in the room with my husband and me. The decor was outdated, and the room was dirty. Upon entering the building there was an unpleasant odor in the hallways. Our room smelled of a sour odor that did not dissipate during our six day stay. Although the view of the ocean was nice, it did not make up for the terrible accomodations that the Anchorage By The Sea provided to us. I'll never stay there again!

Anchorage provides a pleasant stay

After booking, I read some reviews here that were pretty critical of this hotel. I was a bit concerned. I really had my eyes open expecting problems. However, the room (on the small side) was very clean. The grounds were very neat and well maintained. Too many kids around the pool for my taste (mine are grown!). But much that you can do about that. I had almost no interaction with the staff - However they were courteous when I did speak with them. I noticed that housekeeping supervisors were closely checking the maids' work. Lots of attention to detail..
We liked the central location and welcomed the chance to park our car and walk everywhere! Restaurants in Ogunquit are plentiful. The beach is beautiful and relaxing. Great views.
I have traveled a good deal and stayed in many fine (and not so fine) hotels. This one was pleasant, albeit a bit short on ammenties. I guess there are those who are hoping for the Ritz in Maine. This is a different kind of a place. Don't be afraid to book there.

"THE BEST!"

I have been reading some of the recent reviews of this hotel and I couldn't disagree more with some of them. This hotel was just wonderful. We had a great stay and are more than ready to go back. I think some of these people who wrote these reviews just went on their vacation with a negative attitude looking to give others a hard time. This hotel was absolutely gorgeous, had great service, and a perfect view. What more could you want? My hat is off to the owner and managers of this establishment. It was a week of heaven. Maybe the rooms weren't perfect but who goes to a hotel in a great location like Ogunquit and stays in their room? I don't understand. Well I give it 5 stars!

"Holiday Inn" By The Sea

We always go to The Anchorage By The Sea the week of Labor Day. We've been going for years and have seen a year-by-year improvement with the hotel. This year was definately the most dramatic with improvements to the Pool and Lobby. The towel nazi (i.e. soup nazi) is finally gone. On weekends you get wrist bands to get towels. The towels are small, but you can have as many as you want. Bring a beach towel for laying on. The Anchorage is a very nice Holiday Inn. The reason you should be coming here is: 1) The view and access to town and the Marginal Way, it's right there, 2) The pools - lots of hotels don't have pools and they have 3, 2 adults and one kiddy, plus two hot tubs. The rooms are clean but well used. The prices are high for the roooms, but not for the location. There is nothing like relaxing on the lawn, watching the waves, and sipping a glass of wine. No other loding in Ogunquit has it like the Anchorage. By the way - we have already deposited for 2005. Good luck getting in, rooms book early. Don't forget the Lobstah!

Comments