Eastland Park Hotel

#11 of 26 hotels in Portland
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 7 reviews

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Luxury Travel Food and Dining

Wedding reception - don't do it!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 25, 2011

We had our wedding reception here in July of 2011, and it was definitely not worth the money we spent on it. Way over-priced for what we got. First of all, we were promised the rest of our wedding cake, as not many typically get to enjoy the cake during the reception. I was told by the wait staff and wedding coordinator that they would keep our cake in the cooler and we could get it the next morning. Well, that didn't happen. My mother was up in the Top of the East bar after the reception and saw the staff eating our cake! There was no cake left the next morning! Another thing, many of our guests told me that the food was removed from the reception room way too early, (we had the buffet). Many people wanted seconds but were not able to because the food was gone. Another thing to add - we paid a pretty-penny to have an open bar for the entire reception and were sadly disappointed with the bar staff and services. I was not told ahead of time that taking shots would not be allowed. Our family and friends are not alcoholics by any means, but everyone was expecting to take shots to celebrate! We didn't find out that shots were not allowed until we went up to the bar and asked for one. One last thing - although the wedding coordinator was very courteous through the whole planning thing, she asked to leave at approximately 8 pm the evening of our reception. I of course, with everything else going on and happy and all-that, thought it would be no problem. In hindsight, I wish she could have stayed 'til the end of the reception. We had questions and concerns and she was gone and couldn't help us.

I would strongly encourage any couples that are thinking of having their reception here to stop and research other places in the area. The Eastland Park Hotel is truly not the best place to go. You will spend way too much money and be disappointed at the end.

Directions: Good location - downtown Portland, Maine, near the ocean.

johngayton's Profile Photo

Portland Being Classy

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 20, 2006

UPDATE 2013 - YUCK! It looks like the Eastland Park has been taken over by the Westin group who have "modernised" it. It's not recognisable as the place I stayed but I'll leave this review here as a momento of a truly classy hotel :-(

This is a nice hotel, correction - this is an excellent hotel. Looking at thier website at the time of writing (June 2006) it is a bit pricey for a summer booking but when I stayed in the middle of April the room rates were less than half of those curently being offered.

The hotel itself is a visual treat with the chandalier-dominated lobby greeting your entrance, the friendly reception, the tastefully decorated and spacious rooms, the rooftop bar with its 360 degree panoramic views of the city and bay, the lobby level bar and restaurant with its "upscale bar menu" and of course the lobster!

The hotel is spotlessly maintained, comfortable beds with quality linen. In-room coffee makers, excellent wi-fi connection with a decent sized work desk.

The summer prices are a bit out of my bracket but I would definitely stay here again and again and again if I could get the same deal as last time!

Unique Quality: Everything about this hotel I found not just faultless but outstanding. Great views from "The Top of the East" Bar, excellent food, superb ambience, luxury bordering on the decadent, helpful and knowledgeable front desk - even to suggestions on where to get a late drink in town on a Sunday night!

Directions: Smack bang in centre of Downtown next to Congress Square.

KMJSKINS's Profile Photo

Great Hotel Breakfast

by written on September 15, 2005

Stayed at the Hotel from Aug.29 to Aug. 31st and was pleased with the location and the overall apperance of the hotel.
We had breakfast at the Hotel restaurant all 3 days and the food was superb!
If you happen to eat there, ask for Oscar. He was our waiter and just a great guy! Oscar happens to also be a musician and encouraged my 15 year old son to play on the piano at the hotel.
My son played some classical pieces that everyone enjoyed.

Hotel gym/spa is very small with no weight machines or heavy weights to speak of.
Also, hall area got a little humid/stuffy as windows were open but not a bid deal.

Great location, not too far from the old port area. we really enjoyed not having to drive the car.

Unique Quality: Recent refurbishing has restored a bit of elegance to this once grand hotel.

Directions: 5 blocks from old port but children's museum is one block away

ladyanne's Profile Photo

One of the Oldest and Grandest Hotels in Portland.

by written on July 5, 2005

I love to stay at the Eastland Park Hotel, the first time I stayed there I was a young girl in the 1950's....the last time I stayed was in Nov. 2004.

It still has that old Grand Hotel feel to it with the Irish accent Doorman, and grand lobby.
Also, has a wonderful cocktail lounge on the top floor, where you can see all the islands in the Casco Bay and also the White Mountains all the way in New Hampshire.

Nice beds, rooms a bit small, but lovely.
Try to stay away from the street side which can be noisy at night.

Unique Quality: Wonderful Grand Old Hotel with it's Charm of treating you special.

Central location, near a Starbucks and across the St. from the Portland Museum of Art and the Portland Chidren's Museum.

Directions: Top of the Hill up from the Waterfront.

TempNomad's Profile Photo

Lounge with a View

by written on April 23, 2005

We had a very pleasant stay. They were doing some construction at the hotel, so we got a great deal. Than, because our room had a window we couldn't open or close (think taped closed) we were upgraded to a very elegant room. We thought the 20 minutes of dealing with the issue was quite worth it.

The hotel is attractive, comfortable, and clean. The staff was very accomodating, but we never should have been put in the first room. It was actually a dangerous situation.

The location is amazing, and there is parking available adjacent to the hotel.

Unique Quality: The best part of the hotel is the bar upstairs. It has a great view, comfortable seating, and an impressive selection of cocktails and drinks.

Get Ready to Climb

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 1, 2004

Well, this hotel was conveniently located for me, right between the ballpark (Hadlock Field), the waterfront and the trail system. My room was fine. The guy at the front desk was a bit rude. There was no place to park while you were checking in, so you basically had to circle the cramped side streets and hope for the best.

Unique Quality: It's located on top of a hill - Portland is a hilly city - so you get some great views of the water and the rest of town, depending on which side of the hotel you're located. Everything is downhill as you leave the hotel, but get ready for the uphill climb as you're hoofing it back!

Directions: At the top of High Street

Elegance and Charm

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 16, 2003

From the time we gave the keys to our rental car to Todd at the door until the morning we left, the service and friendly attitude of the staff made our all too short stay a memorable one.

From the polished marble and brass lobby to the renovated rooms, this hotel, built in the 1920's has retained it's charm and elegance.

With all of the wonderful restaurants in Portland, Adelade's compares favorably with the best of them. Check out the enlarged wall photos of the restaurant as it was when the Eastland opened in 1927.

Directions: Walking distance to Downtown and Old Port.

2 Photos of Eastland Park Hotel

Portland Travel Forum

Need advice about Portland, Maine? Visit the Travel Forum for Portland and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Portland hotel reviews

Great Clam Chowder
VISIT THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE
GREAT ASIAN AND AMERICAN FOOD
Restaurants
Mixed feelings on this one.
Wonderful!
Restaurants
Dirty restaurant and disgusting food
YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!
Restaurants
A waste of time and money!
Good blueberry pancakes.
Ferry with incredible views
Sports Bar
Restaurants
Another good place for lunch
Restaurants
No Ordinary Pizza Place.....Natural!!!!!
My 2nd favorite Ri-Ra!
Nightlife
Cul-cha anyone? (Translation: "Culture anyone?")
Take a stroll along Portland's Western Promenade
Wander Down To The Docks
Victoria Mansion
Bayou Kitchen - amazing cajun in Maine
Restaurants
It's Maine and so it's Lobster!
The Hokey Cokey, part #3