Hilton Garden Inn Portland Maine Downtown Waterfront

Costs 81% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hilton Garden Inn Portland Maine Downtown Waterfront

A Good Solid Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DonCC

We just got back from a stay at this Hotel. We found the staff to be quite accomodating and professional. We really liked this Hotel, while it is what you would expect (it is a Hilton), we enjoyed our stay and recommend it highly of all of your hotel options in Portland. This is a definite solid choice.

Great Locations

by TripAdvisor Member shoemaker

Great location, a little pricy for Maine but over all its worth it just because of the location. Its walking distance to the old port, walking distance to Fore Street Rest. Cant comment on the hotel rest. inside as we always go out. You dont have to worry about parking, just a good spot if you can afford the price.

Hotel Saved the Trip

by TripAdvisor Member Tgreen

Nothing against Portland (in fact I really like the City) but I spent 4 nights here with a bad case of the flu. Despite all, I really liked this hotel. Had a great view of the Harbor were I got watch the boats come and go-when I was awake. The room was very nice, comfortable and large. Contrary to some of the other reviews, I found the service outstanding. The staff went out of their way. Would have preferred more TV channels but that was just the situation. They were the same as most hotels. My only criticism is that the room service menu is very limited. Probably not really an issue often because there are a lot of places to eat in the immediate area but when you can't leave, it's a little skimpy. Fortunately, I didn't feel like eating much. Love to come back when I'm feeling well.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member BTPD

Stayed at the Hilton Waterfront the weekend of 5/12 for USM Graduation. Hotel was clean and the room was larger than I expected. Hotel is near all the bars and restaurants. Breakfast at the hotel was GREAT!!! Valet Parking $11.00 was my only gripe.

Okay

by TripAdvisor Member moglie33

We stayed here in June. It was located across from ferry boats to the multiple islands located off Portland. The front desk and parking staff were fine, not overly friendly or welcoming, but not rude or disengaged either. The housekeeping staff that we encountered were very friendly though (we needed cots and then extra towels and pillows). The rooms were huge. Not the best beds, but not bad either, and the channel selection was not very broad. The rooms kind of smelled like old smoke, or a little stale...don't know if someone used the room for smoking, or if it is because it is an older building, but our room, and my cousins room next door both had the same smell. But the rooms were clean, bedding clean. I would stay here again, but its not somewhere you'd say "i have got to stay there again"....i would look into other options, but if nothing better in price range, I would stay there.

Glad we booked this location

We stayed here 3 nights over the 4th of July and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.
It's a wonderful location for access to all the tourist sites. The rooms were clean, fresh, and spacious. We had a good view of the bay with the ferry boats. All the staff was friendly and helpful. They had a terrific buffet breakfast which was less than $10. It's only a few minutes walk to 2 of Portland's fine restaurants: The Old Port and The Fore Street.
You don't even need a car if you fly in; they'll pick you up at the airport. Would definitely recommend the Hilton.

Above average lay-over

My wife and I were delivering a very expensive custom chopper and stayed there overnight in July.

The price was slightly high, even with the AAA rate.

The facility looked new and clean. The staff was friendly and communicated well. Our room was spacious, clean and had a refrigerator.

The location was surrounded by many resturaunts and bars. Our view was the downpoint, (parking lot and city buildings).

My best experience was the valet department. I was met by a man named Mike. I never expected to have a valet park my SUV and trailer but he did a fantastic job. He told me "We like to see you sleep well here." I must admit, he succeded. Not only did he actually park my trailer with custom chopper attached, but he parked a number of large SUVs and the hotel van around it, making it impossible for anyone to steal the bike.

If I ever pass through Portland again, I will likely stay there.

Very nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member stoulson

Stayed here at the end of August on a dreary, drizzly day.....Hotel had nice floor to ceiling windows, and my room had a fabulous view of the port, ferry terminal, etc.

Hotel was easy to find, but parking is limited so they have a valet. This was OK, but sometimes they were a bit busy and it took awhile to get your vehicle.

Hotel is very new, rooms are spacious and have a fridge and microwave, and good desk with plenty of workspace.

My biggest pet peeve was there was alot of hallway noise (the doors seemed to have a big gap under them and they were thin and not well insulated). I could hear everyone coming and going up and down the hall and every door slam.

Overall a nice stay, and the location couldn't be beat.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member dale_river

Directly on Commercial Street in the Old Port area, facing the waterfront, this hotel has an ideal location. It is probably a bit pricey for Portland, but we found the expense justified. Our huge room (524) had a partial view of the water, was clean and quiet, and had every amenity, including a fridge and coffeemaker. The mattresses were extra comfortable, and the bath was on the upscale side. Overall we had a 4-star stay for our one night.

One of the best Hilton properties ANYWHERE!

by TripAdvisor Member Flying_Lawyer

My wife and I are Hilton HHonors Diamonds tier members, and we can honestly say that this Hilton Garden Inn is not only the absolute best HGI property we've ever stayed at, it is among the best of the best of ANY Hilton family property we'e stayed at. Anywhere. And we've been frequent Hilton family guests for more than 20 years.

Making our reservation on the Hilton website took minutes and was as always easy to complete. Check-in was completed in less than a minute and we were sent to our room with two free bottles of ice-cold water. A nice feature - and one we've not seen at any other HGI anywhere - was valet parking; worth the cost, we think.

Our room on the 3rd floor (six floor property) was at the end of a hallway and overlooked the waterfront/ferry terminal. The room was very large, and well furnished with very comfortable king bed, easy chair, and large work desk with FREE high speed internet. As with all HGI properties, we had in our room excellent HVAC, an immaculate micro-fridge, a small microwave, and a coffee maker. The bathroom was huge, well stocked with towels and other necessities, and was - like the rest of the room - absolutely spotless.

Make no mistake, the room rates at this property are not on the cheap side, but frankly, for what we paid, my wife and I were and remain very well sagtisfied. We look forward to returning to this Hilton family property and we have no hesitation recommending it to you.

Orthodox mix on Washington StOrthodox mix on Washington St

View of shops on main streetView of shops on main street

Old church in townOld church in town

Melted catcchitoreMelted catcchitore

lobster fishing in Maine

by Illini

Has anyone been for a lobster fishing trip to Maine? I plan to do it this summer but haven’t a clue about the whole thing. Any suggestion and other exciting things to do in Maine, any chance of seeing the whales in the summer?

RE: lobster fishing in Maine

by joesorce

When will you be there, for how long, and what part of Maine?

RE: lobster fishing in Maine

by GottaTry

Do you mean that you are taking a tour boat to go lobstering or do you have a summer job helping on a boat? It is hard work!
Yes, you can see whales during the summer. Usually you need to take a boat out. It is rare that you see them from shore.

by Illini

portland mostly, towards the end of May for a week.

by Illini

i have a friend who is in the baiting business, they have a boat so i am hoping to get a ride on it, watching the whales may become a part of the deal. how far off shore does one need to be inorder to get a view of the whales?

by GottaTry

Whales will follow the fish (food). I don't know where they might be in May, but with friends in the business they should know. If not others around the docks will. Have a great time! Be sure to walk around the city, lots of wonderful old buildings.

by Illini

whats the weather like at this time of the year? not too cold i hope

by GottaTry

I have never been in Portland in May but I wouldn't expect it to be very warm. It is cold on a boat during the summer so I am sure it will be cold in May!

by lvs2trvl

I am very interested in getting a job on a lobster boat. do you know the best way to go about doing it?

by Illini

well! you need to get acquainted with the people in the business and just ask them. the season has begun and businesses usually look for people who have some kind of experience in the industry.
hope that helps