Inn At Saint John

Inn at St. John
Expedia.com Booking.com Tingo.com

• GiseleP's Profile Photo

Above and Beyond!!

The Inn at St. John is our Go-to place to stay when we want or need a night or more in Portland. We live on one of the islands in the bay nearby and the ferry schedule can be a challenge when one wants to indulge in Portland's abundant cultural activities or when a flight out of town is too early or returns too late.

The Inn at St. John provides us with a clean, cozy, welcoming and affordable retreat when we have reason to stay in town. We stay there often but I want to relate a recent experience where the staff went above and beyond all expectations (and since I know their usual high standardsthat is really saying something)! Recently I elected to stay at the Inn at St John during a major snow storm while my husband was caught by the storm out of town on business and his flight home was cancelled, with another one impossible for 3 days. It was a major blizzard, with high winds and 2.5 feet of new snow. I was cozy and well-looked-after at the inn of course. I received a call asking me if their staff could move my car so they could plow their small parking lot. My car is brand new. I had only had it one week at that time and the request made me nervous, but since I did not feel like going out in the weather to dig out my car and move it, I consented. The next day, after the storm had abated, I ventured out. Imagine my surprise to find my car back in the space in which I had parked it, not only completely dug out, but perfectly cleaned off of snow. There was not even any snow on the roof and my car gleamed in the sun. I call that going above and beyond! Bravo Inn at St John!

Unique Quality: This Inn feels like staying in an in in Europe with the homey touches and elegance. Each room is different and unique. The continental breakfast is good and abundant and they put out cookies in the afternoon/evening to go with the always available coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

Directions: Close to Hadlock Field and some good restaurants, as well as easy access to 295

• Sarichka's Profile Photo

Our favorite place to stay in Portland

This is our favorite place to stay in Portland. Crazy amounts of character, M.C. Escher-esque staircases all over the place, chandeliers in every room etc. It's all the way on the west end of town which I love, as you don't have to worry about missing anything behind you (there's nothing but a Greyhound station) - just head east. We are walkers, though, so the 1 mile or so walk to town doesn't bother us. The hotel is happy to call a cab for you if you don't want to walk and the trip is under $10.

We've shown up early a few times and have had no problem with early check-ins. A few times when our room wasn't ready they let us leave our stuff at the front desk while we wandered around the city. They have a variety of room types and sizes - we've stayed in a two double bed room with a private bath and a variety of rooms with the shared bath in the hallway and all were very nice and comfortable.

The staff are super friendly. Last time we were there my husband got into a conversation about baseball with the woman at the front desk while we were checking out. He mentioned that we had planned to go to a Sea Dogs game but never got around to it. She called the park, asked if we could get box seats, and gave us a parking pass to stay in their lot even though we had already checked out.

The rooms are very reasonably priced for what you get, especially compared with the expensive B&Bs in the area.

• Terrible customer service

When we arrived at the Inn we were unhappy to see that it was in the middle of a questionable neighborhood, but we figured we would give it a chance. Unfortunately, adding to our original unahappiness, the room we had reserved had a horrific odor that smelled like fresh vomit, and when we informed the front desk of this, they moved us to a room without a window. We ended up actually enjoying the quiet of the new room (though it smelled musty-but better than vomit), but when we came back from a morning walk the next day we arrived to find that ALL OF OUR THINGS WERE MISSING!!! I ran panic stricken to the front desk only to find that they had moved all of our things back to the original vomit smelling room without even asking/telling us. They were unapologetic despite having gone through all of the drawers and throwing all of our dirty and clean clothes and other personal items in any bags they found AND putting us back in the same room we requested to m ove from. We didn't sleep at all due to the smell, and we both had headaches when the morning rolled around. we never received an apology or any form of restitution for what we had been through (packing and unpacking 3 times, having a panic attack when our things went missing in a sketchy neighborhood, dealing with a vomit smell, and having all of our personal items rifled through). When we checked out, the man at the desk knew they had failed and said only two words to us when I gave him the keys and checked out: "checking out." As for other amenities: You should seek breakfast elsewhere because there is not much selection compared to others I have seen. There was a fridge in both of our king rooms, but who really wants to eat anything in a room smelling of vomit? There is plenty of storage space in the rooms we had. There is no pool, no fitness center, and no view. Though they say they lock the front door at 11:00 P.M., (you are supposed to have to ring a buzzer to get in after) during our 3 night stay it was not locked once when we returned at 11:45. In such a questionable neighborhood we didn't feel very safe with the door unlocked. We will NEVER stay there again!!

Directions: 20-30 minute walk to downtown Portland

• rafgys's Profile Photo

Something different...

I'm a back-packer... so I usually stay at hostels. In this case, I couldn't find one in Portland and I ended up in this Inn... I guess is the cheapest one.

It's quite nice... a little too fancy for me, but that was funny. There were all those tourists having breakfast and trying to impress who knows who... they were acting like rich fellas without realizing they were staying at the cheapest place in town... probably for the same reason I was doing it. So... whatever!!

The bad thing of this hotel is its location. If you are not driving, you have to walk all the time about twenty blocks to where the fun is. But... is right across the street from the bus station, which is always good!

• A good value hotel

Checkin was painless, with very well informed staff members. Room was large with a fair sized washroom, although no bath only a shower. The room was very clean with a fridge and A/C. I could not get a wireless internet connection in our room, but it worked fine in the lobby area. The free breakfast was good, with a fair choice. A little off of the beaten path but well served by a bus route.

• A very Nice Portland Inn

I have stayed at the Inn At St John numerous times all seasons of the year. Its a very great value and an inn that offers very friendly staff and is comfortable.

Located near enough to downtown Portland for a good walk to all attractions or just a fast taxi ride for non walkers.

Unique Quality: Rooms are very well appointed and the housekeeping staff is very good.

• Portland's Friendly Inn

This was my first trip to Maine, and the staff of the Inn at St John made it a good one. Every one of the staff that I came into contact with was very friendly, and very helpful as to where to go, how to get around, etc. The Inn is immaculate and beautifully decorated. The housekeeping staff deserves an award for the job that they do. I would not hesitate to stay there again, or to recommend the Inn to anyone.

Directions: About 20 minutes away from the Old Port and the piers.

More about Inn At Saint John

Staff couldn't have been more helpful

by TripAdvisor Member TracyB_10

We stayed at the Inn at St John in early October. The room was small but very nicely done with antique furniture. The stairs might of been a problem if we were older but being fit and in our mid 40's it wasn't an issue.

The area was OK and it was about a 15 mins walk up hill to the town. If you wanted to go down to the Old Port then you needed to take the car or get a taxi.

We found a great place to eat, Cafe Uffa. I managed to leave my hand bag in there, but it wasn't until the next morning that I realised. It wouldn't have been a problem on a normal day but we new from talking to the staff that they were going to be closed the next day. Megan, off the front desk, managed to get hold of the owner, via her land lord, and she went up to the restaurant to get it for me. She couldn't have been more helpful.

We'll certainly be going back on our next trip.

Another wonderful visit!

Having just returned to the Inn at St. John for three more great days, I am happy to say that it was as wonderful this visit as it was last! My room was, once again, clean, comfortable, tastefully decorated and full of amenities. The fact that the inn is as quiet as it is, despite being busy, is positively astounding.

The staff amazes me. Each member of the team is friendly, courteous, humorous, helpful and cheerful. No matter what the request - no matter what the time of day - you are NEVER not treated with a smile and genuine concern for your happiness. They are all a huge part of what makes the Inn at St John my choice.

Thanks a million to Albert, Bill, Glen, Meg, Pat, Paul, Steve and Tim...for making my "exodus from the insanity of home" one to cherish.

I'll return as often as possible!

Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful!

by TripAdvisor Member dozer037

The room was a good size, the king size bed was very comfortable. We stayed on the second floor, so hauling our big suitcases up the stairs was a little tricky, but worth it. They offered to keep them downstairs for us, but we had been shopping and needed to repack for the plane trip back home the next day.
It was quiet and clean. The person at the desk even brought up my plane reservation and printed my boarding passes. Seems there was nothing they wouldn't do to make us comfortable. If we ever stay in Portland Maine again, we will definitely stay there.

Keep on driving

by TripAdvisor Member gweagni

My wife and I stayed at the Inn last summer (2005) for one night on our way to pick up our daughter at her sleep away camp. The Inn is located in an awful neighborhood, the parking was poor and the room, while large and comfortable, did not make up for the location, the trek up the stairs and the lack of enthusiasm that characterized the service. The meal or snacks provided were uninspiring and the crowd made the snacks completely unappealing. As I drove up to the Inn I was completely appalled by the grungy area that it was located in (the photograph showing the front of the Inn is completely misleading). Next time I will follow my instincts and keep on driving.

Comments