468 Fore Street, Portland, Maine, 04101, United States

Expedia.com PortlandHarbor

• So horrible on my wedding night

I don't even know where to start. The fact that this hotel is rated 4 stars in any review site should be ashamed. I want to say as well, I never complain or write bad reviews when something goes wrong at an establishment but this was our wedding night and the management handled it so poorly. My husband booked a suite at the Portland Harbor Hotel for the night of our wedding before we left the next day for our honeymoon. He figured because it was considered one of the best in Portland that it would be a sure bet for the night of our wedding. They not only lost our reservation and put us in a regular room the night of our wedding but we had to carry our bags up ourselves from the parking garage in our tux and wedding dress. Since the room was not what we had originally booked, everything including the champagne, flowers, etc that my husband set up with the hotel and confirmed the day of the wedding were no where to be found. Breakfast the next morning was awful accompanied by horrible service. Did I mention we didn't even get a refund between the difference of the regular room and the suite? Oh and we didn't get an apology either. Apparently the manager said it was our fault that the limo dropped us off at the wrong entrance (which was clearly marked "valet" might I ad) and that we checked in at 5 pm and then "re-checked in" at 10 PM....weird since we got married at 6 PM and never arrived at the hotel until after the reception at 10 PM. This is just a glimpse at what went wrong that ONE night we were there so I won't bore people with the rest. I work in the hospitality industry and could not let this slide after what a ridiculous experience this was, what an absolute waste of money.

• Grand...ly overpriced

This is a servicable hotel in a key location, but it's wildly overpriced by almost $100. The TV was perpendicular to the bed, and so couldn't be watched. From a desk chair was the only suitable place to view it. The manager was clueless about local restaurants and evening food options, sending us on a goose chase of misinformation. The front desk gave us an unexpected 9am wake-up call, asking if we had called for a taxi (we had not). From the 3 higher-end hotels we viewed (Armory, Eastland, and this one), apparently "frilly" was the order of the day in Portland. We failed to find a moderly designed accomodation, so if I had to do it again, I'd check out the Hilton Garden Side, which is actually port-side, right in the Old Port area. We paid $206 (+ tax) after talking the manager down from $229, on a Tuesday night, in early June. Valet parking was $15 for 24 hrs.

Directions: Old Port area

More about Portland Harbor Hotel

Loved the Portland Harbor Hotel

My experience at the Portland Harbor was a wonderful one. The hotel is located in the heart of Portland easy access to all stores and great restaurants. We enjoyed the Hotel restaurant as well, it was by far our favorite in the city. The staff was very friendly and helpful to us.
All in all it was a great stay. Highly recommend this hotel to all who are coming to this area.
We look forward to going back.!!!!!

Best Hotel in Portland!!!!

I stayed at The Portland Harbor Hotel with my family in May. I have never enjoyed myself more. The staff really made me feel at home. The hotel is beautiful and is at a great location.

Portland's Best

Old Port location convenient to the waterfront, shops etc..Fantastic staff with the best concierge. Sunlit breakfast overlooking a magnificent garden. Loved the turn down with the chocolate lobster! Had a fantastic dinner, the chef is very talented. The hotel bills itself as Portland's only 4 diamond hotel, they are and they deliver. The Portland Harbor Hotel rocks!!!!

Nice hotel, but can be LOUD

by TripAdvisor Member JC_Yay

I stayed at the portland harbor hotel august 11-14th. Generally speaking, I was pleased with hotel and staff. The room was nice, though a bit small and the shower was clean, which is very important to me.

2 comments:

1. Our room was on the Union St. side of the hotel and the noise was outrageous. No joke, the light from a disco ball was coming into our room. And the opague curtains do not close all the way.
The plus is that the bars close at 1am, so it can't go on all night, but the negative is that every drunk new englander poured out into the streets every night at 1 and yelled and yelled and yelled...
If you stay here, request to have a courtyard view, not a city view!

2. Though my confirmation clearly stated a 4 night stay, upon check in, our hotel reservation was only for 3 nights. We caught the mistake and they updated our res. for 4 nights. On the morning of our 3rd day, the bill was under our door indicating we'd be checking out that day! I called and confirmed that we were staying one more night. They updated the reservation (again). Then, about an hour later we decided to go home b/c we were bored to tears and the forecast was rain. When I called the front desk to change res. the woman said "well we have you checking out today anyway, so that's fine."
Word to wise: triple check your reservation dates.

Overall, this is a nice place to stay, considering there aren't many options. The Hilton is on the main St. (commerical) and is probably loud. The regency is on a nice block, though seemed weird looking from the outside. Purely superficial comments.

Not worth the price - especially the service

by TripAdvisor Member Valley Dweller

Stayed at the Portland Harbor Hotel for a week-end away and to attend a concert at the Civic Center.
Reservations were made for the dining room for the night of the concert at least two months prior. Thankfully we double checked on them when we checked in the day before... turns out there was a private function in the dining room yet the hotel had not bothered to notify us. We then asked the concierge about dinner reseravations and thankfully we made our own while out walking around in the morning, as the message from the conceirge was to get to a restauant early and line up before 5:00 pm if we were to make the concert - we got the message well after 5 - being out exploring the downtown area of Portland all day.
The bathroom was not properly cleaned before our arrival (Nice soaker tub... but had recent "scum" around the sides.)
Nice room - although a clean bathroom upon arrival would have been nice.
Will choose more moderately priced hotels for future trips to Portland, that from past experience, have been cleaner and provided better service

Fabulous overall - 4 Diamond in every way!

I was lucky enough to stay at this hotel a few weeks ago - unfortunately it was only for one night on business, but I left feeling like I had stayed with friends.

The location could not be more ideal. I only had a few minutes to myself after arriving and I was fortunate enough to decide to go for a quick walk. The hotel is located in the "heart" of Old Port so there were so many restaurants (casual to high end) and shops to choose from that I could have walked for hours.

We hosted a business dinner for clients and had it at the hotel. Every detail was perfect - it made my job so easy. The wine was waiting as requested and the food was exceptional (7 different opinions - all fabulous). Our clients still continue to comment on how fabulous the dinner party was (and they are all from the area and have eaten at many restaurants).

I have to also add... if you know about AAA Four Diamond status and what that means, I can tell you that this hotel (and restaurant) did not miss even on the smallest detail.

The rooms were extremely comfortable and the atmosphere in the lobby was personal and welcoming.

I would highly recommend staying here - whether it be for business or pleasure.

Good and Bad

With one exception, this is a great hotel. The noise from a night club half a block away kept us awake til all hours Thursday and Friday night. Otherwise, the room was beautiful if a little small. The excellent restaurant food was served by a friendly staff. The lobby has a library with priceless books. I'm not sure they realize what they have. Although not first editions, most are rare, with a few reaching back to the 19th century. It was delightful reading George Eliot while sipping on a whiskey sour. The conceirge was the epitome of good will and knowledge. But, I wouldn't stay here again because of the noise. Also, they billed my credit card 2 weeks before the reservation began.

Nice hotel, location - bad experience with fire alarm going off

by TripAdvisor Member whenpigsfly

A very nice hotel in terms of location, design, room amenities and design.

My only grouch is that a middle of the night fire alarm going off (no complaint there - it happened, we left, no fire, we turned) showed 2 aspects of the hotel they probably don't want seen.

1. Their night time 'security' seemed ill prepared. From what I could see it consisted of 2 rent a cops who were busy talking to eachother on walkie-talkies while both standing in the lobby.

2. On check out (only one person at the desk BTW and a line forming on Sunday morning), not one mention was made of our putting up with what turned out to be a false alarm activated by kids staying in the hotel. I didn't expect anything like a free stay but a simple thank you and we realize it was a pain would have sufficed.

Comments