Portland Harbor Hotel

Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 2 reviews
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 740 reviews
PortlandHarbor Booking.com

So horrible on my wedding night

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 27, 2009

I don't even know where to start. The fact that this hotel is rated 4 stars in any review site should be ashamed. I want to say as well, I never complain or write bad reviews when something goes wrong at an establishment but this was our wedding night and the management handled it so poorly. My husband booked a suite at the Portland Harbor Hotel for the night of our wedding before we left the next day for our honeymoon. He figured because it was considered one of the best in Portland that it would be a sure bet for the night of our wedding. They not only lost our reservation and put us in a regular room the night of our wedding but we had to carry our bags up ourselves from the parking garage in our tux and wedding dress. Since the room was not what we had originally booked, everything including the champagne, flowers, etc that my husband set up with the hotel and confirmed the day of the wedding were no where to be found. Breakfast the next morning was awful accompanied by horrible service. Did I mention we didn't even get a refund between the difference of the regular room and the suite? Oh and we didn't get an apology either. Apparently the manager said it was our fault that the limo dropped us off at the wrong entrance (which was clearly marked "valet" might I ad) and that we checked in at 5 pm and then "re-checked in" at 10 PM....weird since we got married at 6 PM and never arrived at the hotel until after the reception at 10 PM. This is just a glimpse at what went wrong that ONE night we were there so I won't bore people with the rest. I work in the hospitality industry and could not let this slide after what a ridiculous experience this was, what an absolute waste of money.

Grand...ly overpriced

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 9, 2005

This is a servicable hotel in a key location, but it's wildly overpriced by almost $100. The TV was perpendicular to the bed, and so couldn't be watched. From a desk chair was the only suitable place to view it. The manager was clueless about local restaurants and evening food options, sending us on a goose chase of misinformation. The front desk gave us an unexpected 9am wake-up call, asking if we had called for a taxi (we had not). From the 3 higher-end hotels we viewed (Armory, Eastland, and this one), apparently "frilly" was the order of the day in Portland. We failed to find a moderly designed accomodation, so if I had to do it again, I'd check out the Hilton Garden Side, which is actually port-side, right in the Old Port area. We paid $206 (+ tax) after talking the manager down from $229, on a Tuesday night, in early June. Valet parking was $15 for 24 hrs.

Directions: Old Port area

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Portland Travel Forum

Need advice about Portland, Maine? Visit the Travel Forum for Portland and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Portland hotel reviews

Great Clam Chowder
VISIT THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE
GREAT ASIAN AND AMERICAN FOOD
Restaurants
Mixed feelings on this one.
Wonderful!
Restaurants
Dirty restaurant and disgusting food
YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!
Restaurants
A waste of time and money!
Good blueberry pancakes.
Ferry with incredible views
Sports Bar
Restaurants
Another good place for lunch
Restaurants
No Ordinary Pizza Place.....Natural!!!!!
My 2nd favorite Ri-Ra!
Nightlife
Cul-cha anyone? (Translation: "Culture anyone?")
Take a stroll along Portland's Western Promenade
Wander Down To The Docks
Victoria Mansion
Bayou Kitchen - amazing cajun in Maine
Restaurants
It's Maine and so it's Lobster!
The Hokey Cokey, part #3