Sanford Inn

Tags

Budget Travel Road Trip Hiking and Walking
See Amenities

Greedy and patronizing

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 1, 2009

On Wednesday, July 29th, I made reservations online to stay at the Sanford “Inn”on Friday night, July 31st. I booked it on Innlink.com. Under "special requests" I informed them we would be unable to check in before 11:30 PM. This was due to job commitments. The website does state that all requests cannot be honored, but I received a quick confirmation and there was no indication that our late arrival would be a problem. As a matter of fact, it stated, "Your reservation is guaranteed for late arrival with a Mastercard."

We arrrived at "the inn" at 11:28 PM. (FYI, The Sanford “Inn" bears no resemblance to an actual Inn. It's a motel.) The business light was still lit. We drove up to the office. The "OPEN" sign was facing out, but the office was dark. I rang the doorbell. The office is attached to their residence and I could hear the bell ring throughout the building, but they did not respond. I rang it again with the same results. I phoned them and my call went directly into their voicemail. So - at 11:30 PM, after a very long day, we were standing on the "innkeeper's" doorstep with no place to stay for the night.

I now have a charge for $85.60 on my credit card. When I contacted the Sanford “Inn,” they briskly referred me to Innlink.com. Innlink.com first tried to defend the Sanford “Inn” by claiming that the “inn” had a policy stating that late arrivals had to make their reservations by phone. But no where does it say that, so Innlink.com then admitted that they had no way of charging my account. The charge had to be generated by the The Sanford “Inn” and The Sanford “Inn” refuses to refund the charge.

I might understand to some extent if they had kept a room open for us that they otherwise could have filled, but they clearly had many vacancies that night. I don't know how, in good conscience, they can take payment from us. We did not cost them a dime, nor did they loose a moment's sleep on our behalf. I wish we could say the same.

Directions: Route 109

• Pets Allowed
  • Kitchenette
  • Continental Breakfast

Sanford Travel Forum

Need advice about Sanford, Maine? Visit the Travel Forum for Sanford and ask our Answer Gurus.

Sanford Travel Guide