Searsport Hotels

• LynnPribus profile photo LynnPribus
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Elm Cottage: Cosy, classy B&B caters to vegetarians

While I'm a pretty strict vegan, my husband is not. Yet he enjoyed this rather new B&B (opened July of 2008 as much as I did. Janet, the innkeeper, bent over backwards to accommodate special needs (like my husband wanting coffee at 5 am) and served up very generous and delicious breakfasts. Treats such as apple crepes with freshly smashed blackberries and mushroom-stuffed tomatoes. Always home made granola and a large bowl of cut-up fresh fruit. Local produce as much as possible and much that was organic.

Afternoon treats were iced or hot tea or coffee, zucchini bread or blueberry muffins.

Janet has remodelled a run-down house in the Searsport Historic District into a wonderful retreat with only two rooms, each with a private bath. We stayed in the larger Gardenview Room with a queen-sized bed and separate sitting area. Very reasonably priced, compared with several other local B&Bs which we explored.

The outstanding vegetarian menu was very important to me. When traveling, I hate to have to negotiate and discuss and fret about what I'll have for breakfast. Janet also said that with a little advance notice she can serve other special needs such as gluten-free food. Wonderful!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average