O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis

174 West Street, (formerly Holiday Inn Annapolis), Annapolis, Maryland, 21401, United States
Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about O'Callaghan Hotel Annapolis

Charming in every way

by TripAdvisor Member E.Bachman

We arrived at the O'Callaghan on a Sunday night only to discover, to our chagrin, that we'd mistakenly reserved a room for Saturday night. (They thought we were no-shows.) Instead of a lecture, however, the amiable desk clerk simply gave us another room at the same inexpensive rate ($99, including breakfast). The room was terrific: very spacious, impeccably clean, and quiet, with a king-sized bed. Indeed, everything about this European-style hotel is terrific, from the staff (six of whom are Irish) to the continental breakfast to the service. The location is close to ideal: the hotel is an 8-minute walk to Church Circle and all the attractions of beautiful Annapolis. We highly recommend the Raleigh Tavern (on the same street as the hotel) for dining and the Ram's Head for drinking (microbrews in a historic setting).

Fawlty Towers is fun to watch on the BBC but a bummer in realiity!

by TripAdvisor Member Lasemuse

Physically this hotel is fine although you can find better value and service closer into historic Annapolis.

Our room and bath were modest in size. The beds and furniture ok although the heating/air conditioning fan is incredibly loud, inefficient and concentrates cold or hot air in the front corner of the room.

BUT, the service is a joke! When we arrived the desk clerks were clueless about our reservation even with the printed confirmation from the hotel on their stationary. There were no bellmen at all nor luggage carts. The maid service was appalling! Our room didn't have a luggage stand nor could the hotel come up with one over the week we stayed with them. In fact, unless we specifically asked for soap, towels, bathrobes and even toilet paper were not replenished or provided unless we called for them repeatedly As we were checking out early in the morning, we tried to sign out the evening before and were told the desk person was not capable of assisting us. Huh? The next morning, even with the printed reservation confirmation, the desk clerk would not honor the printed room cost!

And the service and dining charges were nuts! At $9 per person, the breakfast buffet resembled those we've had included with the room charge at utilitarian chain motels while ferrying our kids to sporting events - presumably it consisted of muffins and bagels, cold cereal, fruit, juice and hot drinks. At 8:30AM our first morning we noted that the juice pitchers and coffee urns were empty, there were 1 muffin, 2 1/2 bagels, one overripe banana, an apple and a Lucky Charms pkg left. We waited for a waiter/ress to appear for 15 minutes and noted seated and standing diners searching for them to no avail. We then decided to take all our meals elsewhere. On subsequent days, we noted many guests doing same. On another morning we met a gentleman in the elevator who was in pursuit of the NY Times. The desk clerk told him that they had no newspapers but would send someone to fetch one and that the charge would be $10 without the tip or cost of the paper. We told the gentleman to walk the block to the Loew's where he could pick one up.
We have traveled extensively worldwide and have never encountered service as bad as this at this rate. We will never stay in this hotel again!

Pretentious but in reality very Cheap!

by TripAdvisor Member Naim00

I agree with previous negative reviews. The hotel pretends to be eccletic while in fact it is another Motel! The finishing details and decoration are really cheap (CCTV playing above the counter, electric switches on the wall behind the receptionist). The room is average, again the furniture appears cheap and there was a lot of stains on the carpet. Yes the AC was very loud. The view from MY room was terrible, I felt I was in the worst neighborhood of a metropolis, not Annapolis (dirty parking lot, trash, buckets etc..). The Gym is tiny with 1 stepper, 1 bike and 2 treadmills, but they had water and towels. The staff was mixed, one guy was really cold and unfriendly while another was just OK. They promise a free shuttle to downtown and when I asked about it , he replied that it was only a 10 minute walk!!! DO NOT pay the parking provided, 15$, cross the street there is a city garage for 8$ per night. Why pay them the difference. Stay there only if you can't find cheaper somewhere else.

O'Callaghan Oh My Back

by TripAdvisor Member kaecie

My husband, daughter and I stayed there one night of our planned 3-night stay. First of all, they had no record of my pre-payment. Secondly, the bed was the worst I've ever TRIED to sleep on. My husband and I were in so much pain the next day that we could not stay another night. We ended up moving to Loewe's (very nice, but a hit to our budget). When we checked out, O'Callaghan's insisted we pay for the night even though we'd prepaid via an internet package. That turned out to be a good deal for us, because when I disputed the bill with my credit card company, they could see that I had paid for 4 nights and had only stayed there one night and they easily refunded my money.

NOTE: The sidewalk tables outside O'Callaghan's bar are an ideal place to watch the 4th of July parade. Order drinks but not dinner - the food isn't worth the money.

We had a nice time in Annapolis, particularly at Reynolds Tavern for afternoon tea and the Maryland State House for a bit of history. Really enjoyed the trolley tour starting down at the wharf, since the boat tours were cancelled due to inclement weather - our driver/guide was very knowledgeable and friendly.

CHECK YOUR BILL CLOSELY

Nice hotel. Fairly convenient. However, the desk clerks were clueless. We had prepaid several weeks in advance via Priceline. After returning home we found that O'callaghans had charged our credit card again. It several weeks and many phone calls to straighten it out.

extremely horrific experience

I was participating in the Greater Chesapeake Bay Swim on June 11, 2006, and I thought my family could spend the weekend in Annapolis at this hotel. Bad mistake. It was a constant party in the hotel with management ignoring the "party" activities even when my wife brought it to their attention (at 3 am). They were callous to the fact that we had a 5 month old child and that none of us were getting any sleep. All they did was give warnings. To top things off, the valets dented our brand new car and denied it saying we must have done it while it was parked in their garage the entire weekend. I would not recommend anyone stay at this hotel especially if you plan to bring your family and vehicle.

Met our expectations but ONLY nOn-SmokinG

by TripAdvisor Member Jagwars

We stayed for two nights the last weekend in September and have no meaningful issues. The O’Callaghan is a totally NON-SMOKING hotel—we never encountered any indication of this via the web or other sources ahead of time. The hotel is a hike to the old town area pubs and eateries, so have some walking shoes. We definitely recommend using the hotel’s valet service since the local parking garages charge $10 each in/out. The rooms are nice, modern and comfortable. Unlike several reviews online, we were hard pressed to hear any Irish accents. Finally, on Monday morning, the lad covering the overnight shift had an Irish accent. (Note the service cleaning/food staff speak no English what so ever). All bartenders, counter-staff and valets were very polite and courteous. If we’re not still smoking, we will definitely stay here again—good value for your bucks.

Above Average not great

by TripAdvisor Member Business_Travel_Guy

This hotel was interesting ...

First of all - do not ask the hostess where to eat. Ask the shuttle driver (valet guy). I stayed 4 nights and got 2 recommendations from each of them. The hostess recommended the "overly expensive, big reputation, not great food" eating places. The parking guy recommended the "great food, great value, great ambiance" eating places. Just because I am traveling on business doesn't mean I like to get ripped off!

As for the hotel ...

The room was quite small. I felt cramped all week. The hotel was old but very well appointed. It reminded me of a quaint old European hotel.
The adjoining room occupants could be easily heard. In my case it was a young couple who had obviously just been married. This led to 2 nights of little sleep (but high entertainment value).
I didn't try the hotel bar or restaurant - the price tag scared me away.
The free local shuttle was very convenient. They took us anywhere we wanted in Annapolis and picked us up when done.
The bedding was nice in all regards. Upgraded linens, upgraded comforter, upgraded blankets. I had trouble keeping the room warm enough. The window needed to be sealed up - there was a pretty big draft coming in the window. Being from California, and staying there during a cold snowy week, I just couldn't get warm. The thermostat read 73 but I just felt cold (probably just me).
The internet access in my room required repair, but the manager had it repaired as soon as a technician was avialable.
I read on another review that not many people had an accent ... my experience was just the opposite, everyone seemed to have an Irish accent..
I'd give the hotel 3.5 *'s on a 5 point scale. Definitely worth what I paid ($89/nt on hotwire). I'd stay here again. I'd like to try the summer, though.

Bedbig Infestation!!!

by TripAdvisor Member travels52

I was booked at this hotel for 3 nights. I woke up after my second night in the hotel with lines of red welts on my neck, shoulders and arms. I promptly went to the manager who kept telling me he thought I had an allergy to the laundry detergent. After much haggling, he agreed to change my room. In the new room, I woke up with MORE red welts. Upon returning home, I had the welts biopsied and they are BEDBUG bites. Beware traveler, the management of this hotel did NOT take the bed bug problem seriously and I assume they are still infested!

Just OK...

by TripAdvisor Member anne0925

My boyfriend and I planned this trip last minute on Memorial Day weekend and most of the hotels and inns were already sold out so we thought we would try the O Callaghan. I am a travel agent and thought that this "Irish Hotel" would be interesting and fun.
The staff was cordial. I asked for a possible upgrade but was told
the hotel was full. The room was small but adequate. The
bed was uncomfortable and the linen and blankets were old and
worn. It was within walking distance to town and we were told to
ask for the shuttle if we needed it. We did not eat in the hotel but
we did have a drink at the bar and Mark the bartender was very
personable and friendly. We had dinner in town at 2 great
restaurants (Osteria and Harry Browne)..the food and service was great. We took the shuttle that the hotel offered and that
worked out nicely. Overall we had a pleasant stay but I think if
we visited Annapolis again we would opt for one of the quaint inns that were there or maybe the Loews Hotel.

TavernTavern

Rest Stop at Severna ParkRest Stop at Severna Park

Historical streetHistorical street

Ship models made by prisonersShip models made by prisoners

Comments