Assateague State Park Hotels

Our Members Say

• grandmaR profile photo grandmaR
  • Reviews: 6594

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Camping in 1956: Co-ed Scout Camping Trip

In 1956, I went with a Senior Girl Scout troop on a co-ed camping trip to Asseteague. The boys were part of a Boy Scout Troop.

It was a little bit of a disaster. There was no shade and we all got badly sunburned.

The girls pitched their tents on the flat sand and then there was a torrential rainstorm and all the tents were flooded. The boys had pitched their tents on the dunes.

The girls were not used to catering to male appetites and the boys complained that they didn't like the food and there wasn't enough of it.

After the boys left, my mother and sister and I retreated to our station wagon. When we woke in the morning, the windshield was BLACK with mosquitoes.

I suspect that the area has changed a lot since we were there in 1956. The park site indicates that there are camp sites marked out with facilities. The park website says:

# 350 sites are available, each with a fire ring and picnic table.
# Electric hook-ups are available in the H-Loop only.
# Campsites can be reserved from April 27, 2011 through October 16, 2011 and for E, F, G, H and J loops through October 30, 2011. October 17-30, 2011 is first come first served for A, B, C, D, and I loops.
# Youth Group Camping can be reserved from April 27, 2011 through October 30, 2011. A valid Maryland DNR Youth Group Pass is required to reserve a Youth Group Camping Area. Nightly service charges apply

• Opinion of Price: N/A