24 West Franklin Street, Baltimore, Maryland, 21201, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Mount Vernon Hotel

The absolute dirtiest hotel I've ever stayed in!!!

I can't even believe the word "hotel" can be used when describing the Mount Vernon. I stayed there for 1 night, definitely not expecting an overly luxurious hotel, but at least clean and safe. When I first walked into the lobby to check in, I knew it wasn't going to be a good experience. It was very old and had a horrible stale smell. Arriving at our room was even that much worse. There was 1 tiny bed, couldn't have even been a double. When we closed the door, we noted a brown sticky substance that had dripped down the back of the door, which no one bothered to clean. We refused to stay in that room, and after speaking with the manager, were moved to our new room. At least the bed was a queen. There were stains and holes in the wall, the rug was ripped and then stapled down. We were honestly afraid to get into bed. The thought of the sheets touching our skin was so grotesque that we went to bed in long sleeve shirts and long pants. I was truly afraid that someone would barge into our room in the middle of the night. The breakfast was probably not too bad, but honestly, the thought of eating anything prepared by this hotel was frightening. I would stay anywhere but at the Mount Vernon Hotel!!

Very Unfortunate Experience

The price was right at the Mount Vernon Hotel but little else. I stayed for four nights for an academic conference and I would not recommend it to anyone except if you really can't find another place. The hotel has an entirely shabby feel, with regard to the furnishings and carpets, etc. The low point was when I came back to my room at the end of the day to find that the cleaning staff had turned on and left on the shower all day, filling the room with steam and water. No apology from the desk staff, little concern otherwise. I was allowed to move to another room, which was not entered into the computer system, so housekeeping never showed up again to make up the room. Just as well. I was very happy to check out. Next time, I'll happily pay more for a better hotel.

A pleasant surprise, great value, in one of Baltimore's nicest neighborhoods

I decided to stay at the Mount Vernon Hotel after reviewing rack rates at Inner Harbor hotels while I would be in Baltimore for a conference. I did not really want my company to have to pay upwards of $200 per night. I was pleasantly surprised to get a hotel room for $99.00 that was walking distance to the Inner Harbor area(about 8 blocks).

This is a converted YMCA building, a huge one, and the room, a double, was clean, had all the amenities one would want for a week at a conference or a stay in Baltimore - I'm a traveler that leaves early in the morning and comes back late at night, so I didn't care that there were only a dozen cable channels!

The air conditioning was central and cold, the breakfast was ample, and the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.

This is also in the center of the city, in one of Baltimore's nicest neighborhoods. We will be returning one day.

Bonus - it is just a couple of blocks from the light rail, if you time it right you can take the train to and from the airport.

"can you believe this?"

I recently stayed at the Mount Vernon for a Red Sox game. What can I say: the price was unbeatable!!! The service was amazing!!! My room was clean!!! And the Sox won!!!

At $89.00a night the Mount Vernon is a beacon of light compared to other hotels in Baltimore, which range in price from $109.00 to over $300.00 a night.

The service was amazing. The young ladies at front desk were friendly, charming, funny, and welcoming. Did I add respectful? They answered all my questions promptly, and gave excellent directions, all with a smile.

My room was very clean. The housekeeping staff was more than willing to leave me an extra set of towels when asked, and my belongings were left untouched.

The hotel has an excellent historical feel, and while you can tell that the building did not start out life as "The Mount Vernon" it takes to the new role well.

A few tips for guests:

-the hotel has on-site parking for $13.00 a day (24 hours a day) with in and out privledges. There is also a lot on Franklin St. for $5.00 a day with no privledges (you return and must pay another $5.00)

-THERE IS NOT HIGH SPEED INTERNET IN THE ROOMS! There is however free high speed internet in the lobby and business center.

-The hotel is in a very safe neighborhood.

The stay left my hubby saying "Can you believe this? We got 5 star service for the prce of 1!"

Antiquated Dump

by TripAdvisor Member tommytravels

Arriving late (1am), but called ahead.There's no area for you to park & unload luggage.They did hold my reservation. But then, the desk clerk who seem to take her time answering a phone call about whose job it was to do what.
Which gave me time to look at the lobby decor, ratty carpet, worn furniture and dust abundant. It has an aire of one step above flophouse charm. I asked where the hotel parking was and was told, since i arrived late all the spaces were taken. I asked where else i could park,and got a facial expression of like it ain't my problem and a reply i guess on the street. It was my 1st time in baltimore, and the neighborhoods i saw on the way in, did not make me feel safe to park my new car on the street. I asked, if there was any other hotel parking or a public garage, they didn't know. I left frustrated, and swallowed the cost of this 1 night dump. For the fear of bugs crawling on me while i sleep. Stayed at the Wyndham, which is a few blocks over, Not posh but nicer and quess what? it's next to a giant 24/7 underground parking garage. gee, maybe desk clerks should learn geography.
Baltimore has the Aquarium and inner harbor, very nice. Hotels are pricey.

The Mount Vernon has Little to Offer

by TripAdvisor Member YPayne

I booked a room at this hotel at the last minute for an O’s game. I paid $86.00, which included online vendor fees so please take that into consideration as you read. The hotel is in the historic district of downtown Baltimore’s Westside. I only stayed one night and that was enough for me. The hotel looks and smells very old inside (lobby & rooms). I guess that’s why it’s in the historic district. It could use renovations; it’s very dark, gloomy, and a little depressing now that I think about it.

The hotel does not manage the parking garage. You have to park at a public garage across the street for $9.00 per day or on the street. If you have a large vehicle, you should note that the clearance is 6ft 5inches, not 7ft as quoted by a hotel representative when I called prior to arrival. If you are looking for a quick walk to the inner harbor or Camden Yards, this is not your place. Be prepared to walk 6-10 blocks to get to the good stuff. The free continental breakfast was average. The staff was friendly enough and both check-in and check-out were speedy. To sum up, I will not return or recommend this hotel unless they renovate.

You Get What You Pay For

by TripAdvisor Member NJGlobeTrotter

Booked through Expedia to see the Phillies play at Camden Yards because rates around the Harbor were terribly high. The 8-block walk to the water wasn't bad, but I'd only really recommend doing it in daylight. The desk staff were polite and helpful, but housekeeping knocked at 8:30 a.m. and again around 9:30 a.m. The interior of the room was shabby and both the a/c and the tv remote control didn't work great. Didn't do the breakfast, and the public parking garage across the street didn't make us feel overly confident. Next time we'll pay for a nicer place downtown.

Pleasant, inexpensive stay in a great city!

by TripAdvisor Member bendw8

Our stay at the Mount Vernon was very pleasant. We parked right around the corner from the hotel on the street. The front desk staff were friendly. The room wasn't anything special, but totally acceptable. The breakfast in the morning was great.

Overall, we felt very lucky to get this room for $100/night on the weekend of the Preakness when everything else was sold out or at least $300/night in Inner Harbor. We just took a 10-minute cab to the Inner Harbor.

Our stay was great and we would do it again!

Fulfilled all requirements

by TripAdvisor Member flyingfox

We stayed 3 nights to do touristy things and the hotel met all our requirements. It was a 10 minute walk to the harbour. It takes a little longer on the way back as it is slightly uphill (and it's at the end of the day). It takes a little longer to get to Camden Yards. We did not walk back from Camden Yards as we did not want to walk back the way we came during the night. The taxi from Camden Yards to the hotel cost about $10.

Our hotel room was clean and comfortable. The decor was a little worn and although our room was 'non'smoking' I suspect it was a smoking room when required. There was no Wi-Fi in the rooms, but there was in the lobby. This did not work on our first day but it worked on all the others.

We booked through cheaphotels who said Mt Vernon Hotel had free parking, however this was not the case. Hotel staff kindly advised that if we did not need to use our car during the day there was a cheaper parking across the road, rather than using the hotel's parking. Parking was $9/weekday and about $3/weekend.

I would stay there again.

OK, at best...

by TripAdvisor Member jcunicel

In terms of location and price, this hotel is amazing. In terms of friendly service, don't get your hopes up. As for the room, it was very big, a little musty/stuffy but acceptable. Our only problem was it was located in front of the elevator and since the walls seem to be really thin, you could hear everything that went on during the whole night.

Again for the price and location, it's a great deal. I wouldn't recommend staying there for more than a weekend, though because if you really needed anything, I am not sure the staff would be too obliging.

As described, as problems go, though, we didn't have any huge ones (no bugs, the room was clean etc).

Comments