Paradise Bed & Breakfast

Paradise Bed & Breakfast
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Baltimore

Tulip at Sherwood 1954Tulip at Sherwood 1954

Reflection of the stairsReflection of the stairs

Bromo-Seltzer TowerBromo-Seltzer Tower

The excursion trainThe excursion train

Visiting Baltimore and want ideas for restaurants and night life.

by lilypad

I am visiting Baltimore MD. from Nov 10-25.
I want some great crab cakes and local food, bars & of course the usual tourist stuff.
What is your suggestion to weed through all the info on the net?

by travelmad478

My suggestion is to type "Baltimore" into the Search box right here in VT and then look at all the hundreds of tips that people have posted for things to do in Baltimore.

by yetist

The best place for crab, and crab stuffed lobster also, is called Obrycki's Crab House. If you ask a taxi driver to take you there he will know where it is. It is the most famous and best quality place for crab in Baltimore. It is in the Italian section of the city believe it or not. They spread the paper on the tables, dump a tub of crabs down and give you a little wooden mallet to do the cracking with. It was a blast. I just googled it and the address is 1727 E. Pratt Street, phone 410-732-6399. They have a website and map online.
You won't be disappointed.
Ciao

by LSWoodson

Get a reservation and go to this restaurant:

The Helmand Restaurant
806 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-5308
info@helmand.com
410-752-0311

It is an Afghan restaurant and my very favorite place to eat in Baltimore. The reservation is truly needed, even on a weeknight. The place is very very popular.

by lcat61

For Chinese go to Uncle Lee's downtown. For Italian go to Little Italy, which is adjacent to Inner Harbor (I like Sabatinos). Stay away from the restaurants in Harborplace, especially Phillips.

Travel Tips for Baltimore

Though the Inner Harbor is the...

by richiecdisc

Though the Inner Harbor is the city’s calling card, try and escape this limited area and enjoy the many neighborhoods that surround it like Little Italy, Fells Point and lesser known ones like Mount Vernon. I had recently become single and in need of some diversion. My brother and his fiancé told me to come visit them in Baltimore for the weekend; it was the Freakness Festival, a music/beer filled street party to mirror the city’s more famous horse race, the Preakness. It was a glorious weekend, the sun shone brightly on Broadway in Fells Point, and the masses descended in even greater waves than would normally on the already popular weekend spot. Though there were trucks dispensing good micro brews, we opted to stop in Max’s for one of their many beers on tap. We got a spot at the empty bar and just as we did, a huge thunderstorm drove what seemed like half the festival into the bar, raising our real estate value considerably. We had a fun few hours inside drinking Rodenbach on tap and meeting lots of locals and tourists alike who needed to go through us to get a beer. When the rain subsided, we made our way back outside for the live music on hand. There were lots of local bands and I soon found myself gravitating away from my cohorts and towards the front of the stage, arriving front and center by the time the headliners, the Spin Doctors, were set to go on. The show was great and I found myself dancing with a girl from Annapolis. My brother, Bob, later loved to detail how he watched the show, often seeing my head pop up from the masses like the top of a pogo stick. As the show wound down, it was time for the crowd to disperse, and soon there was a mass of people running down the street as if chased by a tidal wave. Bob and his Janet were far up the street, having left before the end of the show, and he said, all he saw was a mass of people coming up Broadway, with me out front, enacting the running of the bulls. There would be no girl from Annapolis for me that night, but there would be no horns either. I made it safely to them and the waiting car.

BALTIMORE NEIGHBOURHOODS

by LoriPori

Baltimore is blessed with many and diverse NEIGHBOURHOODS.

INNER HARBOUR
Baltimore's most popular maritime neighbourhood. Take in the National Aquarium, take a stroll along the waterfront. check out the shops and restaurants in Harbourplace, take a water taxi, tour the Baltimore Maritime Museum & board the Chesapeake and the U.S.S. Consteallation.

CANTON
Founded more than 200 years ago by Captain John O'Donnell who sailed into Baltimore from China and named his plantation after the Chinese port that had brought him much wealth. Canton is home to Polish churches and numerous shops, lively bars and acclaimed restaurants.

FEDERAL HILL
A trip to Federal Hill isn't complete without a visit to Cross Street Market, he block-long enclosed marketplace. Check out the view from the park at the top of Federal Hill.

FELLS POINT
This maritime community was settled in 1730 by William Fell, a Quaker shipbuilder from Lancaster, England. Today the 14 block area is one of the few remaining downtown waterfront communities on the East Coast. There is an abundance of ethnic restaurants and cozy pubs.

LITTLE ITALY
Just 12 blocks total, yet Little Italy has an abundance of charm and a sizeable number of trattorias. So if you're in the mood for "Italian" it's worth the pilgrammage to the harbourfront's southeast corner to get your teeth into a bowl of fettucine, a plate of lasagna or a delectable slice of tiramisu. YUM!

MOUNT VERNON
Walking, is the best way to explore this majestic neighbourhood, the cultural center of Baltimore. The highlights of a visit here are the Walters Art Museum, the Enoch Pratt Free Library and the Washington Monument.

The first time someone said...

by feline01

The first time someone said 'hon' to me, I wondered what was up with this place. Then I was informed that it was just a local thing, women call men and women 'hon.' You'll notice it alot in restaurants. I find it very cute. Lot better than what they call each other in New Jersey and New York :-)

Raven's Stadium

by grandmaR

When I was a kid, the football team in Baltimore was the Colts and the quarterback was Johnny Unitas. (I saw him in person once buying a suit in Schwartz Bros.) Then the Colts snuck out of town. The first new stadium in Baltimore (much admired) was Oriole Park (at Camden Yards). But we didn't have a football team and not much of a football stadium anymore either..

So the Cleveland Browns left Cleveland and came to Baltimore. This made Clevelanders annoyed. There was a contest to name the team, and the Ravens was picked because of Poe's 1845 poem "The Raven".

1st verse: Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door-
Only this, and nothing more."

10th verse: But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing further then he uttered- not a feather then he fluttered-
Till I scarcely more than muttered, "other friends have flown
before-
On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before."
Then the bird said, "Nevermore."

15th verse: "Prophet!" said I, "thing of evil- prophet still, if bird or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us- by that God we both adore-
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn,
It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels name Lenore-
Clasp a rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore."
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."

16th verse "Be that word our sign in parting, bird or fiend," I shrieked,
upstarting-
"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken!- quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my
door!"
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore." ) Poe is buried near the stadium (He died first).

As part of the deal, a stadium was built. Originally this was PSI Net Stadium. And it had purple all over it, because the PSI colors and the Raven's colors were purple. Then PSI went bankrupt or something, and it's now the M&T Bank Stadium. Their colors seem to be green and white. But the Raven's colors are still purple and gold.

One of the ways they have raised money for this stadium is by Permanent Seat Licenses.

The prices of PSLs and season tickets are associated with specific zones.
Zone Location PSL Cost Season Ticket Cost
I Midfield $1,250 $3,000
II Sideline $1,250 $2,400
III Corners $1,250 $1,750
IV Endzone $1,250 $1,150

PSLs can be transferred. Single game tickets can be purchased through ticketmaster.

I tried to get in to the Ravens website, but it seems to be down right at this moment.

If you are in Fell's Point...

by Joe19

If you are in Fell's Point during the day, do check out the many antique shops. They can be a pretty bizarre experience. One in particular, The Antique Man at 1806 Fleet St., has a lot of old P.T. Barnum artifacts, including a mummified 12ft giant.

Comments