5810 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore, Maryland, 21215, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Baltimore

line dancers!line dancers!

George Washington MonumentGeorge Washington Monument

courtesy of websitecourtesy of website

WWII Submarine - USS Torsk #423WWII Submarine - USS Torsk #423

Crabs

by malimali

Where does a local go if you want a true Baltimore crab experience. Not into the Phillips/tourist scene, but authentic paper on table kind of place. I will be in Baltimore Oct 1-3. I have been to LP Steamers and loved it. Maybe they are the place to go again. Will I still be able to get local Bay crabs or will it be too late in the season. I hate to come to Baltimore to eat Louisiana Crab

Re: Crabs

by riorich55

This is the place I've gone to twice, once on a business trip and once on vacation. http://www.mikescrabhouse.com/. It is in Annapolis. You can eat indoors or out. However, I think that October may be too late for the local bay crab season. Both times I went was in August. Good luck!

Re: Crabs

by riorich55

I stand corrected. Was a little curious after I gave you an answer and found out that the main crab season last at least through the beginning of October, so you will able to get those Maryland crabs.

Travel Tips for Baltimore

Local architecture

by dlandt

Baltimore as a city has a certain feel to it that is brought home to the visitor through its architecture. i'm not talking about glass and steel McSkyscrapers, I'm talking about where people live. This picture gives you a good example because a lot of Baltimore just looks like this. Perhaps to others it is really nothing, but to me it is unique, not quite colonial and not quite strictly utilitarian. Baltimore has a feel that in some ways is like my own city, kind of hardworking and tough. But Baltimore really has a sense of history that Chicago doesn't have and that's what really intrigued me. It doesn't have the same kind of pretentious intellectual underpinnings that nearby Philadelphia seems to have, but just kind of reverberates with something smart and different. This street could be anywhere in Baltimore

Medical Schools

by grandmaR

Baltimore is lucky to have two fine medical schools in the city.

My dad taught Anatomy at the University of Maryland Medical School which was (along with the other professional schools of Law, Pharmacy and Dentistry and the hospital) in Baltimore City.

But most people only knew Johns Hopkins medical school and hospital. So when I said my dad was a medical school professor, they'd always ask "Hopkins?" and I would always say, "No, the University of Maryland". They would say "Oh" in a very disappointed, dismissing tone.

This used to irritate me because I thought my dad was the best and resented the idea that he must be in some way inferior because he was not at Hopkins. I haven't really changed my mind about Hopkins.

I feel that in some cases they trade on their reputation which is sometimes a bit inflated. The University gets less grants, and is ranked lower because the rankings take Hopkins reputation (gained in the late 1800s and early 1900s) into account. Although my sister would disagree with me, one of the things I liked best to do was to go down to the gross anatomy lab and watch the medical students dissecting the cadavers. I thought this was fascinating - the smell of formaldehyde is nostalgic for me.

When I reached puberty (around age 11-12) my mom made me stop going down there because I reported to her that one of the students had told me that I had 'fine bones' and wouldn't ever be fat. (Obviously he was wrong about that!!) This set off her maternal alarm bells, and after that I wasn't allowed down there without my dad.

Scenes on Screens

by grandmaR

Another typical old time Baltimore custom was painting scenes on window screens. This not only decorated the house, but also allowed the window to remain open and people inside to have the benefit of breezes in hot weather without other people being able to look in. (This doesn't work if you have a light on inside the house.)

I started decorating screens myself - I am somewhat self taught. First I painted screens on a house (which we have since sold), and then I painted screens on the boat. This is a picture of our Leonardtown house on the screen of the house in Baltimore.

The screens on the other side are of a beach on Tortola. I have also done a series of lighthouses on screens for our boat.

Little League Field Trip

by DEBBBEDB

In 2005, my son's traveling team coach arranged for the team to go up to Maryland to participate in a tournament at Cal Ripken's place. As a part of the deal, they played a couple of games with a Washington D.C. area team, and visited several historic places in that area, and then came to see the Orioles play in Baltimore.

Lost Without a Clue

by rreschran

In the past 3-years, I've traveled to Baltimore to teach at the convention center. In the evenings, we travel to the Inner Harbor for dinner and entertainment. Our plan was to go to Obrickies down towards Fells Point, but we decided to go because a hotel clerk said it was within walking distance. An hour later from the hotel, in the dark and not a clue where we were headed, we wound up in blocks of tenaments, many of them burned out, ... a virtual war zone that no unsuspecting tourist should be in after dark. Needless to say, I struck up a conversation with a underground utilities worker asking for directions. When I told him I was from San Diego, we instantly started talking Super Bowl and became instant buddies. When I told him we were lost, his forman chimed in and said he would drive us to Obriskies. We gathered our stuff and got into his truck where he drove us to the front door of Obrickis. I can only say that for a while there, I was horribly afraid for my wife's and my safety, only to be rescued by the cities utility workers. Who say that perfect strangers are dangerous. At least for me, these guys made our night and I will never forget them.

Comments