Sheraton Columbia Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Sheraton Columbia Hotel

Catering not the best

by TripAdvisor Member linzee32

We did not stay at this hotel because we live down the road but our family reunion was held here this past Labor Day weekend. We were shoved off in a small room, Ellicott Oaks Room, there were more than 75 of us crammed into this room. The hosts did not purchase a beverage package so we only had tea and water for drinks. The wait staff was never around for refills, we had to beg for them. They have coffee cups, cream and sugar on the tables but no one came around to offer coffee. The food was average at best for the amount of money we paid. We won't be using this hotel in the future for catered events. On a positive note family members that were able to book a room in the hotel had no complaints.

Motel 6 would have been better

by TripAdvisor Member AroundTheWayGirl

Stayed at the Sheraton for 3 horrible nights for a family event. Day One: upon check-in we learned that our rooms were not located in the Tower or Main building but in the older unremolded "Inn Section" of the hotel. Our bathroom had a very bad odor, which to our amazement was addressed quickly by the front desk by sending someone up with a machine that emitted a scented vapor as well as sending someone from housekeeping to clean the toilet. The only caveat to this is that after she cleaned the toilet, she used the same brush to clean the sink. The wallpapaer in the room was tattered in two places and the air conditioner would only come on once every 10 mins.

Day Two: Learned that you need a map or a GPS system to navigate the maze of hallways to get from the "Inn Section" to the main building. After shopping at the nice mall which is directly across the street we returned to find that our rooms had not been cleaned although we had been gone several hours; once again we called the front desk. Again housekeeping arrived quickly, but this time the room was cleaned properly.

Day Three: Bathroom light now takes a while to come on fully and the toilet is running. Still have not learned how to navigate the maze of hallways to get to the main building. Decided its best to just walk outside. I also learned from other family members that they had similar problems. Some had too even change their rooms more than once.

Bottom line, if you can not stay in the "Tower Section" please select another hotel and avoid the dormitory like experience that I had.

Great location, Poor policies

by TripAdvisor Member eggtmt

We stayed here recently for a family wedding. Booked 2 rooms months in advance and although we were on the same floor as our kids we were a few rooms away. No big deal. The room adjoining us had paper thin walls and it felt like those people were in our room.
Room was clean. Nothing special. Wedding group had over 30 rooms booked and we were spread all over the place. I do not understand why they did not book us closer together.
Had an over priced breakfast at hotel.3.50 for OJ that was poured prior to our ordering. Coffee was also 3.50 although one of my kids got the buffet and did not drink coffee, I was charged for my coffee. A little too much nickle and diming for me.
Internet service is $3.00 minimum. Every other hotel I stay at regularly, Hiltons, Mariotts have free internet for all guests. I am a Starwood Member but that gets you no extra perks.
Fire alarm in the middle of the night and we all had to evacuate our rooms. My older parents had to walk down several flights of stairs. Although this was not the hotels fault they offered no apology, not even free coffee in the AM (which came rather quickly)
The location is convenient to resteraunts ect. but other than that I see no real incentive to stay there. I got the impression they relied on their location and did not feel they had to treat their customers special in anyway.

fine location

by TripAdvisor Member NYDesigner

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay for a family Bar Mitzvah. We booked directly with the hotel in order to get the group rate that was offered for our family. Our rate was $114 per night for a room with a king bed, which I thought was very fair (we are used to paying MUCH more while traveling)

We called the afternoon we were due to arrive to let them know we would be arriving very late. A room was waiting when we arrived at 2:30 am, but it was not the king bed we had reserved, instead it was 2 double beds. We asked if there were any rooms with a king bed and we were told that we could switch rooms the next day. I was too tired to put up a fuss, but this is something that happens often in big hotel chains. They take a reservation for a king, but don't give you one unless you ask for it AGAIN at check-in. I don't understand why the reservation doesn't just stick. They did stand by their word in the end by moving us to a room with a king bed for our 2nd night.

Overall, I thought this hotel was fine. Both rooms we stayed in had very high ceilings which made the rooms feel very airy and spacious. I don't think all the rooms are like that. ( both rooms were corner rooms) I guess we got lucky. Both rooms were very clean with well maintained furnishings and modern bedding. They both had separate counter top areas outside of the bathroom with a coffeemaker (and it was clean!) The bathrooms were spacious. The king room even came with a bidet. The air conditioning work very well. Linens were soft and the beds were firm and comfortable (especially the king bed!)

The best part of this hotel is the lake in the "backyard" We had several hours to just hang out in between family parties that we spent walking around the lake. The beautiful weather helped too! There is also the Mall of Columbia right across the street. The nearby walking bridge allows you to safely cross the street.

The hotel bar was pretty hoping at night with plenty of hotel guests that were there for a variety of celebrations. The large lobby had lots of seating which allowed for lounging and catching up with family.

For our needs, this was a great deal!

UGH

by TripAdvisor Member directoroftravel

We stayed at the Sheraton on November 5th '07 for one night. The room needs major updating. The wallpaper was coming off the wall and it was all marked up. The shower was dirty and the walls paper thin. The blanket was gross. Not at all what you expect when staying at Sheraton. The room was also small.

Nice, but a little noisy

by TripAdvisor Member MMM2001

I stayed at the Sheraton Columbia Hotel for two nights on a business trip and had a room in the main hotel. They have made attempts to update the rooms with new bedding and bathroom accessories, but the bathroom fixtures are a bit outdated. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. However, I was located on the 4th floor and could hear the noise from the lobby anytime there was a group of people talking. The lobby is open up to the top, so the sound carries up like a chimney.

The hotel provides a free shuttle service within 5 miles of the hotel, which was convenient to get to local restaurants for dinner. A mall is located across the street, but the restaurants (PF Changs, The Cheesecake Factory, etc) are located on the far side, so the shuttle is handy in poor weather.

Cookies and fruit were available in the lobby as a snack, for those who were interested. This was a nice touch.

Fabulous Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member ncollins22

What a fabulous week at the hotel! I was attending a conference at the hotel and the entire week was great. The staff were very helpful and accommodating - always friendly, attentive and outgoing. The food for our meetings was great - much better than the usual food you have during meetings at hotels. The rooms are spacious, bright and clean. They have signs announcing a renovation - I look forward to returning and having a new room. It was a wonderful stay and I would HIGHLY reccomend this hotel for those planning a conference in that area - and weddings as they have a beautiful lake behind the hotel.

First to Stay in Brand New Room!

by TripAdvisor Member CRJVa

I just stayed in a brand new room at Sheraton Columbia. I was the first to stay in the room. Not all of the rooms are done yet but I heard they will be complete this year. I have stayed here before and have known the staff to be friendly and the location to the best of all of the Columbia (West of Baltimore) Hotels. I highly recommend that people check this Hotel out. They have the post renovation photos in the lobby and it looks like it will be a new property, once the renovation is done!

Beautiful Property!

by TripAdvisor Member roger010101

I attended a four day meeting at this facility. Not only was I impressed with the attention from the staff, but I appreciated nice little touches done in my room each day while I was out.

The staff - from the check-in at the front desk to the banquets staff - were all exceptionally friendly. The evening bar tender became a close friend by the end of the week, and she knew my drink each time I came in after a long day!

The property has a river and wooded area just behind it which made for scenic views during my break....

Not good.

by TripAdvisor Member nparadis5476

Avoid this one, its ready to be gutted. Really shopwarn. Airconditioner broken, elevator broken. Phone not picked up for a wake up call for about 5 minutes.

Comments