1565 Opossumtown Pike, Frederick, Maryland, 21702, United States
Hampton Inn & Suites Frederick-Fort Detrick
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Travelocity

More about Frederick

National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann SetonNational Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton

Retro Metro SignageRetro Metro Signage

Downtown FrederickDowntown Frederick

ART CLASSES HELD HEREART CLASSES HELD HERE

Travel Tips for Frederick

Vacation with locals

by TammyCarlos

Upon entering your "home base" during any vacation or extended stay... ASK around to local people where they go on vacation/holiday. For instance... While going to School in London I worked at a Montessori School and I asked the people I worked with where they go on vacation, I also asked what vacation spot is "hardest/most difficult" to get to (i.e. most tourists would not take this route!). You do not need to work with them... most people will be more than willing to share their experiences and have a "tourist" see the real side of their country and not just what is portrayed at tourist traps.
With this method I ended up taking a bus to my special vacation spot because no train went there! :) It was actually a string of little towns connected by a miniature train that traveled up and down the coast between these 5 little villages... it was ABSOLUTELY beautiful! Not to mention it was very relaxing, peaceful and natural (i.e. no flashy lights, etc seen in tourist traps)!

Monocacy Battlefield Monuments

by Ewingjr98

Pennsylvania Monument - Erected in 1908 and was the battlefield's second monument.

Maryland Monument - Erected exactly 100 years after the battle to commemorate the actions of the soldier who delayed long enough to save Washington DC.

New Jersey Monument - Dedicated in 1907 to the New Jersey Volunteers of the 14th Regiment.

Vermont Monument - Erected in 1915 to honor the 10th Vermont Infantry which fought here.

United Daughters of the Confederacy Monument - Erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in 1914 in memory of all "the Southern soldiers who fell in battle" on this field.

The Amazing, Fool-the-Eye Bridge

by Rixie

The Community Bridge in Frederick was a plain concrete bridge until muralist Bill Cochran gave it an astonishing facelift. Cochran specializes in trompe l'oeil (fool the eye) artwork, and the bridge is one of his masterpieces.

These "stones" are all painted on.

A skater practices his moves near the bridge. The doorway to the left is a painting.

Another photographer I spoke to under the bridge said, "I keep trying to find an angle where you can see that it's fake, but I can't find one!"

This looks 3-dimensional but is actually flat.

Cochran has scattered whimsical artistic touches like this throughout the faux stonework. The moss in the upper part of the photo is also painted on.

I had to stand a foot away from this before my eyes and my brain would acknowledge that it was a flat surface.

Amazing, isn't it? Even from a few feet away, you could swear that this is a statue with space behind it.

My thanks to Don for taking me to the Community Bridge...and for not leaving me there when I pleaded for "just one more picture!" , and also to Beck and Evey for trekking down the hill with me.

You can see another Cochran painting on the Murals travelogue on my home page. For more information about the bridge, click here. For more information about the artist, please refer to his website.

Comments