Situated in Hagerstown`s City Park, the Hager House is built of uncut fieldstones carefully fitted by the town`s namesake; Jonathan Hager. The young German immigrant had traveled to the wilderness of Western Maryland in search of adventure and possible fortune.
On June 5, 1739, Hager purchased 200 acres of land from Daniel Dulany for 44 pounds. He dubbed his tract `Hager`s Fancy.` With the location carefully chosen over cool spring water, construction of the now 3 1/2 story home began. In 1740 Hager married German neighbor, Elizabeth Kershner and presented her with the new house.
Styled in the German tradition, the large central chimney added warmth to the stone structure, while a fill of rye straw and mud between floors and partitions served as insulation against the cruel winters.
Today the Hager House is now completely outfitted with authentic furnishings of the period. It depicts a life long since forgotten. Not many American cities older than the country itself can present the homes of their founders completely restored.