Best Budget Inn Havre de Grace

More about Havre de Grace

Sluice gatesSluice gates

Walking trailWalking trail

Great walksGreat walks

Tidewater House Salad with chicken breastTidewater House Salad with chicken breast

Travel Tips for Havre de Grace

The John O'Neil Cannon

by littlesam1

This is the historic John O'Neil cannon I was writing about in my must see activities. It is kind of a rite of passage to have your photo taken sitting on top of the canon as a child when you live in Havre de Grace. I have pictures of me as a baby, my sister, my daughters and all of my nephews taken on this canon. So it is only natural that when I took my buddies back to my home town that I wanted a picture of them at the canon also.

Yes that is the two guys in hats, Jim and I, right in the middle of the picture. The other guy in a hat on the right is a good friend but not one the "The" two guys in hats you have all come to know on my pages.

Legion Square

by littlesam1

Legion Square is one of the busier intersections in the city. Here Union Ave, St. John Street, Otsego Street and Water Street all meet to cause one bizarre traffic island.

The American Legion is located at this intersection hence the name Legion Square. In the square is a statue in memory of the Marquis de Lafayette who was in town here with George Washington during the American Revolution.

During the winter it is not uncommon to find the Marquis with a scarf around his neck and a stocking cap on his head placed there as a joke by one of the local businessmen.

I suggest clicking on the picture to enlarge it , It has a clear picture of the square and the intersection that is not as clear in the smaller thumbnail version.

Spectator Sports in HDG

by PVHS02

There are some great local sports venues to check out such as HHS football, Little League Baseball, etc. Don't scoff at these hometown favorites, the Gracians take their LLBB very seriously, afterall, where do you think Cal got his start? Speaking of Cal, go to Aberdeen's Ripken Stadium and cheer on the local AA Ball team, the Aberdeen Ironbirds.

Beware the Giant Muffler Man

by littlesam1

Muffler Men were giant statues built in the late 1950's - early 1960's all over the United States. Most of them are modeled from the same concept and appeared at various gas stations all over the highways in the continental United States. This muffler man has been in Havre de Grace since I was young. He is located at Lynch's Car Service on US Route 40. Originally he was on top of the garage building and dressed as a cowboy. If my memory serves me correctly he held two tires in his hands. At this time the station was a gas station and had Philips 66 brand gas. So the cowboy went along with the Phillips 66 gas that won the west theme.

Lynch's Service Station has since gotten rid of its gas pumps and is only open by appointment for car repairs now. The Muffler Man is no longer dressed as a cowboy. During Operation Desert Storm in the late 1980's he was repainted in military camoflage colors to commerate the solders of Desert Storm. He still wears these colors todoay although he has fallen to some disrepair. These giant roadside creations are disapppearing. I hope this one gets restored someday soon before its gets damaged beyond repair.

More info on The Muffler Man

by littlesam1

Here is another picture of the Muffler Man at Lynch's Service Station. I have also included a link to a site that lists other Muffler Men and a brief history on them.

Comments