11700 Coastal Highway, Ocean City, Maryland, 21842, United States

Hotels.com Official Site Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

• Not a great destination

I recently spent the weekend with my preteen daughter and her friend. We really had great expectations. We stayed in a deluxe ocean front room on the second floor. We found a strange plastic bottle of liquid on the thermostat (not sure what it was, but the maids never touched it). The screen door wouldn't stay in the track and kept falling on our heads when we walked by it. Because we were only on the second floor I was uncomfortable leaving the patio door open at night but it was so warm in the room none of us could sleep. The air conditioner didn't work and the vents from it looked as though black mold was surrounding it. We finally decided to just leave the patio door open so we could enjoy the cold ocean air at night. The bathroom was very small and the toilet leaked when flushed. The cabinet doors in the kitchenette area looked very unclean, and in general I was uncomfortable even using the old microwave because there was a rather unpleasant odor coming from it when used. The hallways were OK and the girls liked the elevator, but it was very slow. The ice rink was fun because it wasn't crowded when we were there. The beach was great. The restaurant was fine, food was good, but the service was very slow. I didn't mind but the girls got pretty anxious wanting to do other things. The hotel is not close to the boardwalk, but there are numerous other places to eat and other things to do in the general area of the hotel. My car was hit in the parking garage and of course no one had the courtesy to leave any information. My next trip to Ocean City will be to another hotel. We aren't picky people, infact we are used to camping, but I think the Carousel needs major updating. For the price paid, I believe we could have enjoyed a much nicer enviornment.

Directions: North Ocean City

• Some Good, Some bad.... mostly old and tired

25 years ago, I worked in Ocean City Maryland during summer breaks from college and the Carousel was an interesting novelty, given the inside ice rink and (then) decent rooms. Sadly, the rooms have seemingly not been upgraded since... here's the detail of the good, bad & the uuuugly:

The Good:

1) The breakfast buffet is very good, with a great selection and enough tables to keep the waiting line moving. At $9.95 (or free for 12 and under) it really can't be beat.

2) The Sports Bar staff is funny and poignant, and they make a decent drink and really good angus beef burger. Price very reasonable

3) The ice rink itself is a bit small, worn, rough and not very well taken care of... but it is unique, it is indoors, and it is only $5 for hotel guest to use. Our kids had a BLAST on it during the weekdays, and also midday on Saturday (when everyone else was on the beach). However, Friday and Sat nights were a crowded nightmare, with local 'expert' high school aged hockey skaters (aged 14 - 16) racing in and out and around the novice skaters (aged 3 to 12 or so) scaring the beegeezers outta them, and pushing them around. Hotel staff was of little help.

4) Beach access right the from the lobby was outstanding! The beach was large and clean.

5) Located at 118th Street, there are tons of restaurants and two movie theatres within 20 blocks or so.

6) Carousel Bistro/Ice Cream Shop - the guy there in the morning makes the BEST Cafe Mocha - seriously. He makes it with a blend of regular chocolate and white chocolate, and it was AWESOME.

The Bad

1) The rooms are really in poor condition, with the beds as hard as a rock and the bathrooms about the size of a typical linen closet (and we had a 'deluxe oceanfront room' with two queen beds). The carpet is that substandard indoor-outdoor matted mess and it showed the stains of the last 2 or 3 decades of use.

2) There are four floors of oceanfront rooms, and they have ONE, very small, very slooooooowwwww elevator to serve them. Trying to get our luggage cart to the front desk to checkout was a pain in the ###.... every time the elevator came, another party was already in it and there was no room for a second luggage cart. There are no ramps to the upper floors either. It took us 20 minutes just to get an empty elevator!

3) The hotel does not have a modern computer system... it took them three tries to make a card pass that would actually work our room door. In addition, unlike most modern hotels, the card pass does not let you charge meals or drinks to your room. You have to go back to the front desk and get the manager to sign a piece of paper that you have to also carry with you everywhere (that's really convenient in a bathing suit, eh...) . Just silly

4) The oceanfront rooms also open (on the interior side) to the Atrium and the ice rink. That's kinda cool, but the walkway around the interior SUCKS!!! It is narrow and built to code used 40 years ago, with a railing that only comes up to my rear end (I'm 6foot 1 inch tall). The first time that I realized that my 9 year old was looking at ice skater four stories down while bending over the rail at his waist... well... I almost ####. The rail needs to be at least 12 inches higher --- BE CAREFUL!!!

The UUUGLY

1) One night, the wind blew above 20 mph (which is not all that uncommon for a beach location). All night long, a roof panel went BANG, BANG, BANG... every 15 or 20 seconds.... sounding (as my 9 year old stated) like someone throwing a table from the fourth floor down onto the ice rink. Yes, every 15 to 20 seconds -- WE HAD NO SLEEP at all that night, and we heard many, many, many people talking about it the next day.

The hotel manager said that there was nothing that they could do about the issue, as it is caused by a roof panel covering the hotel's heat unit's exhaust pipes that does not like strong winds coming from the North to Northwest direction.

I asked the manger why they didn't put that type of entertainment into their marketing materials... and received a blank stare, of course. Was not offered a refund or other restitution for the loss of a night's sleep.

2) Refer to #3 on the good list - the ice rink bullies on Friday and Saturday night were unbelievable. Since the staff did not take action, I did - and directly confronted the youths. Their response prompted a bit of aggression on my part, which subsided when these punks saw hotel uniformed security come over. The unruly kids chilled out but did not leave (as I had hoped they would)... when our skating was over for the night, we did take a circuitous route back to our room to make sure that the punks did not know which room we stayed in.

Yes, it was that uncomfortable.

Bottom line

I would not go there again on a weekend or on any summer night or holiday period, but would go there again with our kids under these circumstances:

a) weekday night during the school year
    b) ice rink open & functioning
    c) online weekday discount rate of $59.99 still available
    d) weather forecast of winds less than 15 mph

If one of those criteria could not be met, it would not be worth the $60.

Unique Quality: See item 4

Directions: North end of city

• Great Place for The Kids

This is the best place to stay in town by far. There is plenty right on site to keep the whole family happy. They have an indoor ice rink year round an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, a beach bar, an outdoor play area, an indoor arcade and a great resturant on site and snack bars. The kids loved it and I only had to leave the hotel once to take the kids to the boardwalk!

More about Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums

Don't waste your money!!

The Carousel Hotel/Resort must be proud of the fact that they are running a total scam to get people to book rooms and pay top dollar, only to be lied to and ignored when they get there. My family and I went to the Carousel the second week of August and booked our rooms months in advance. Just like all of the other complaints I've been reading, we "paid" for an oceanfront room with 2 bedrooms, but of course non were available even though we were told the opposite. During my week stay there I heard more arguments at the front desk from paying customers who were decieved by the hotel and they (the employees) really could care less. They rolled their eyes and laughed at the positions people were in. The Carousel doesn't realize that people save for a long time to take their families to Ocean City and they deserve to be treated with respect.
The room I was given was dirty, smelled like smoke and the ceiling was falling daown on a daily basis. When the person in the room on top of us took a shower, the water came through the ceiling blocks into our tub. I called the front desk, but they could care less. I actually have to laugh and wonder how this place stays in business, but I guess it will as long as they can sucker people into their scam.
I speak to thousands of people each year concerning "Customer Service" and you can bet this Hotel will be used as an example as one of.....let me change that to "the worst" customer service I have ever experienced. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Take your chances if you want, but I promise you will be disappointed.

OK hotel but spend money somewhere else

With so many choices in Ocean City, I would not choose The Carousel.

We spent our vacation at the Carousel the last week of July. We stayed in a two bedroom condo that was 'ocean front'. While overlooking the balcony we did see the ocean but their was a large roof that you see and the loud noise of the air conditioning units was overwhelming and we could not hear the sound of the ocean.

The rooms were outdated and definetly over priced. The dining room table was so sticky, no amount of soap or cleaning solution could clean it.

There are only two small elevators up to your floors and during high volume you will have to wait to get to your floor.

The skating rink and ice show was very nice for the kids, however, I would not recommend eating there. The food was horrible and over priced. I ordered the almond coated shrimp and took one bit and passed it to the side.

The pool area was clean and nice. The palm trees and tropical plants added a nice vacation feel to the hotel.

All in all, please spend your money somewhere else.

Needs updating and remodeling

by TripAdvisor Member ULA0817

Wish I read the reviews before I went to this old hotel! I had a 1 year old child that could not fall asleep because of the loud music coming from the ice skating rink. My 5 yr. old liked the beach, ice skating rink, the clear glass elevator that went up to our floor but I would never recommend this to anyone.

This place has potential but needs lots of renovating and better service to have anyone want to come back to it.

Carousel-Filthy, lack of concern of management

This place is a filthy dump. The sinks are cracked, the walls in the rooms are dirty and sticky. The showers are scummy. We stayed the first night because it was late and we were tired. We complained to the front desk that the room was filthy. They said too bad, you have paid for it and you are not getting your money back. The next morning we left after complaining again and asking for the manager. Again they said there is a no refund policy. We are now out $730.00. Anyone reading this, please notify the Better Business Bureau if you have had a bad experience, too. Also contact the Ocean City Visitors Bureau and ask how to file a complaint. This place should be closed down. Obviously owned by a slum lord.

Not What It Use To Be

A complete waste of time--that is what this place is. Nothing that was advertised, is what I even remotely received. We were assured that we would receive a beautiful, spacious oceanfront room. We received a trashy, smelly, deteriorated room facing the parking lot and the street. Management did nothing to resolve this. They all seem pretty smugged that they had just conned another victim of this obvious scam. Don't stay at the Carousel Beachfront Hotel and Resort! The pictures on the website are deceiving!

We had a ball

by TripAdvisor Member SusanneLee

At first when my eight year old daughter surveyed our ocean fron room, she was disappointed. (Already a travel snob) I had to explain to her her that we have an ocean view. I had a few complaints, booked a room with 2 double beds got one king and a lousy pullout for the kids. Not very comfy. Beach chairs were awful. Had to wait until someone came on duty to get them. (Bring your own beach chairs)Maid did not put the pulllout bed back. We had to do ourselves. Front desk managger was a snob.

Other than that . WE HAD ONE OF THE BEST VACACTIONS.

We left the complex once to go for ribs and stoll the boardwalk. We spent our days on our deck overlooking the ocean and pool. ( I brought my own blender to mix tropical drinks...Tikki bar charges 6 bucks a pop) The beach was beautiful. Stayed there until sunset. The pool was clean. The kids had a blast ice skating. The game room was fun. No night life Tikki bar closes at 5. There is an indoor pub in the evening.

Go if you have little ones. I think if my kids were teenagers they would prefer to be near the boardwalk. Stay some place else if you have no kids.

We plan on going back next summer. Ocean front room of course. Hopefully with 2 double beds.

we had a good time

After ready the reviews on trip advisor I was a little worried about our vacation at The Carousel in Ocean City. When we arrived we walked around and took a look at our room 1st before signing anything. Besides the door to the room sticking, everything else was fine. Plenty of clean towels, great view (which is what we were promised) . They have an indoor and outdoor pool and in the afternoon music by the tiki bar by the outdoor pool. 3 nights at the board walk is plenty, we stayed for 4 days and it was just enough time. Bring a boogie board for the kids the waves are perfect. I would definately stay there again.

Comments