Francis Scott Key Motel

Travelocity Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Francis Scott Key Motel

Francis Scott Key A True Gem

by TripAdvisor Member NjArea51

Where to start with this AMAZING hotel. How about we start with the check in. The front desk was very helpful and knowledgeable about Ocean City and the surrounding areas. We were done with checking in, in less than 10 minutes.

The Room we stayed in was so nice. The mattresses were tempur-pedic mattresses and we so cozy. The room it self was clean and lit very well. I've read reviews about the water smelling funny but they're was no foul odor to be noticed.

The pools were nothing short of awesome the outdoor pool had a spa and then the actual pool and the temperature was just right. The indoor pool was warmer than the outdoor pool but only went up to about 5 feet which was perfect to play volleyball. Also, inside was a jacuzzi which was very relaxing to say the least.

The shuttle bus ran every 10-15 minutes was air conditioned and took you right up to the boardwalk the best part...it was FREE.

The continental breakfast really wasn't a breakfast as much as was muffins some juice and coffee. Just a little something to hold you over.

Across the street you will find outlet stores if you would like to shop. Up the road going west is a go-kart place called Baja for some fun.

The Francis Scott Key Hotel was such a great place for such a great price we will defiantly be returning next summer.

Nice motel

by TripAdvisor Member susanjc

We just got back yesterday from a 4 night stay at the FSK hotel. We had originally booked the Carousel but after reading bad reviews of that hotel changed our reservation.

We enjoyed our stay and it is a nice well kept motel. It's not the Ritz but as nice as many OC hotels and has a lot of nice amenties. And a very good value for your money.

Here are the PROS:
1) Very clean rooms
2) Loved the temper pedic mattresses, they were so comfy
3) Fun pirate spay ground
4) Nice outdoor pool
5) My daughter loved the indoor pirate themed pool. It was very clean as were the restrooms.

Here are the cons:
1) No internet in rooms
2) Dark rooms with dim lights. The rooms were dated, 1960's looking with paneling and very small windows.
3) We arrived on Saturday and the traffic is really bad going into OC on the shuttle. It took 30-40 minutes to get to the boardwalk. We probably could have walked faster. But the rest of the week it was fine. If you want to be right near the beach this isn't the hotel for you but if you want a nice quiet place them it's great.
4) The exterior of the building's paint could be touched up.

5) SMOKING. This was our biggest complaint. Although all the rooms were no smoking it seemed like almost all the guests were smokers which really surprised us for a family hotel.

Where we are from most people with kids don't smoke anymore, certainly not in front of their kids. I know this isn't the hotel's fault but people were all smoking at the outdoor pool. There was even a women standing there smoking at the baby pool! It would be nice if the hotel could put a no smoking sign at the pools since there are young children there. I have found this to be a problem at most OC hotels, I even see women holding babies or pushing strollers with cigarette's in their hands - it's like stepping into a timp warp from 30 years ago.

Just Okay, but Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member KMEG

The Motel is in a great location and the staff is friendly and helpful. But...the room we stayed in was "tired" and needed to be updated. The room was dark and could have used more light fixtures. We had a few flies in the room too. I found the bed comfortable, but my fiancee thought it was too soft. The free breakfast is minimal, but it's free, so no complaints there. All-in-all, I think the place is probably wonderful for families, but not for a young couple. Not a great value based on what we paid for the room.

Great Family Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DramaQueen71

This is a great hotel for families!! The indoor pool is great. The kids really loved it. The grown ups will love the outdoor pool because of the poolside bar. There is a lot of room as the resort is spread out over a large area with many buildings and cabins.
The kids enjoyed fishing in the pond and playing at the sprayground and playground. The rooms are fine nothing fancy but clean. The only downside is that they could use some more lighting and a microwave would have been helpful with a baby. We didnt eat at the on site restaurant as it seemed too formal for kids. There are more causal restaurants near by that are better for families. This hotel is not close to the boardwalk or the beach but we actually prefered the less crowded atmosphere. I would definately stay there again.
We enjoyed Ocean City in general and will visit again. The only negative that I encountered is that most of the employees at the hotels, amusement parks, stores, and attractions are European and don't speak or understand English well. You'll definately need some extra patience.

always love this place

by TripAdvisor Member xxAngelLeexx

We just got back from another wonderful stay here at FSK. I just dont get the negativity in some of these reviews. This place is wonderful, and if you have kids of any age they will love it here!!
We always take advantage of the Budget special..where you arrive on Sunday and get an extra night free. For 6 of us the total cost of our stay..including the tax was $641.00 thats for 6 people...they charge per person at most other hotels So thats Sunday arriving and Friday departing .(comes to 125per night including tax). We had 2 doubles and a sleep sofa. They have a wonderful outdoor pool very large in fact. with a nice size baby pool(separated),they have an indoor pool. where they have games and movies most nights at the indoor pool. then there is a pirate ship sprayground area which is great as well. They also offer FREE shuttle bus service every 10 to 15 minutes. up until 10pm. Plus many activities as well. The grounds are well maintained as well as the rooms (kudos to Rachel). The staff may be foreigners but they are well mannered and very interesting in their cultures..just talk to them. and the parking is excellent. The only problem i have every year which should be addressed is ..yes..the rooms are very dark. and should have microwaves in the rooms with no kitchens. (for little ones). But they also have a hairdryer, iron, board, and coffee and coffee maker in each room. Believe me you will love it there and if you have children they will as well. Oh and parents..let the kids swim while you relax by the pool and enjoy a nice drink. If you wish to ask any questions i will be happy to answer them as this is my 10th year staying there.P.S. they also have an 18 hole minature golf onsite with a free game for everyone upon checking in. And management if you read this please work on that lighting and microwaves if you can . also you might want to update some of the sofa beds..last year it was comfortable the one i had this year was pretty bad..old i guess..all in all ill keep coming back. Thanks for letting me give my honest opinion.

Great family place

by TripAdvisor Member Nanna47

We're going to be there in 20 days. We've been taking our kids and grandkids there for the past 9 years. It's a great family place---and once you get there, you really don't have to drive to do anything. Shuttle service, outlets across Rt. 50, restaurants close by, and the Marlin Moon Grill is fantastic.
Highly recommend it for families.

We've even stayed there is February, and it was in the low 70's, and a walk on the beach was just as enjoyable--except, only about 15 other people were there.

Kids Loved It!

by TripAdvisor Member schaad342

With two girls ages 8 and 9, this was the best vacation yet! FSK and their staff were excellent. Clean rooms, activities for kids, free shuttle non stop to beach/boardwalk all day, indoor water park/pool, outdoor pool, sprayground, mini golf, etc.. The girls did not sit still for one minute and were fast asleep by 10:00 PM ! We will be returning next year with extra family members for another great summer. Thanks FSK, you are the best!

A solid family choice

by TripAdvisor Member djauntz17

Based on the reviews from this site, we spent a few days during our inaugural visit to Ocean City in July. I was originally drawn to the hotel based on the price and family amenities (we have three boys, 12, 10, and 6) and the property did not disappoint. The staff (mostly young, international students from what I gathered) was friendly, the room was large and well-maintained, and the little perks (e.g., the basic continental breakfast, free rounds of mini-golf, game/sporting equipment check-out) was appreciated. Though we did not participate in any of the social calendar activities, the water (pool, sprayground) and sport (baseketball, mini-golf) facilities were nice. Another gem is the shuttle service, which saved the aggravation of parking and never had us waiting more than 10 minutes or so on either end.

Despite being a family destination resort in an already-touristy area such as Ocean City, the FSK motel did not have that "tacky" feeling you get when usually visiting a reasonably-priced, kid-friendly property in , say, Orlando (budget-minded WDW veterans know of what I speak). Unless you were intent on staying on the boardwalk itself (for at least twice the price), this is a sure-fire hit with young, active kids. That said, the room next to us was occupied by a 60+ couple, and I probably wouldn't see myself staying here, sans the brood, in my twilight years.

To FSK staff: I would offer two suggestions for future consideration: a) a bus stop at the other end of the boardwalk (even if not as continuous) would be nice and b) opening up property facilities before 10 AM. Most families with young kids have been up and at 'em for 2+ hours by then. Even opening up one of the pools and access to the sporting equipment (we couldn't get it until 10 AM, because it was locked in the mini-golf pavillion) would have been great. Keep up the good work, and see you next summer!

Don't stay here....

by TripAdvisor Member sidoe

After making reservations several days in advance we arrived at the FSK and to my surprise check in was a breeze, the staff did seem friendly. We were given the keys to our room and upon opening the door to the room I almost fell back.

The odor was terrible smelled extremely musty and damp, the bathroom toilet was loose the bathroom door was stuck and would not close if you pushed it closed you were sure to have to really yank it to get out at one point my wife yelled at me to help here get out.

There were cobwebs in the ceiling, the shades did not close all the way so you could see into the room at all time. The rooms beadboard panneling along all the walls had nails sticking not good especially with us having children. This "resort" is in serious need of a makeover yes the rooms had new beds but in my opinion that should of been the least of managements worries.

The one good thing was the pirate themed swimming pool. Other than that this was the most horrible lodging experience that I have encountered I couldn't check out quick enough. After speaking to management was given a free future off peak season stay. Sad to say I'm not so sure I will be taking them up on this offer. That says alot if you ask me, a free night in oc md and I would rather pay to stay elsewhere.

Overall these rooms need a serious makeover they are stuck in the 80's felt like I was in a timewarp. Fsk has good customer service but other than that not much else was good. Also was told by management that they recieved several other complaints from other guests staying in the same building. Hmm wonder whats taking them so long to correct this bldgs flaws.

Nice Family Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member no_name_redneck

We have stayed here several years ago & now again this year. They have updated some things. Our room was w/ a mini refr. & two double beds. The newest thing there theaputic mattresses I guess you have to get use to. My husband & I did not like them but thats personal preference. The pool is very nice & indoor for any rainy days. They do have an outdoor pool & a pirate ship that is fun for the kids. There is also a very small mini-golf that is included in your stay, which was nice. Nothing fancy at all but it still made the kids happy. The rooms are clean & there is some things rough around the edges but its not suppose to be a 5 star hotel either. There were water spots on the faucets on the bath tub & some spots above the bathroom door, but thats it. I would definately stay here again. They seem to be doing little improvements all the time. This is definately better than staying on the boardwalk paying $200-$300 a night. The drive was not bad at all and we were there Labor Day weekend.

Comments