9th St and the Boardwalk, Ocean City, Maryland, 21842, United States

Satisfaction Average

More about Paradise Plaza Inn

Our stay at Paradise Plaza

by TripAdvisor Member eszgem

My family of four (husband, 4yr old and 1yr old and myself) stayed here for 5 nights Sept. 11-16. Hotel is located on 9th St and Boardwalk, a great location to a mini market across the street and to several eating places and shops just around the corner or several blocks from the hotel boardwalk(two food places on the corner, which do close early, a restaurant in the hotel which we didn't try, Dunkin Donuts on 5th Street, an outside bar and eatery just half a block down and numerous shops for beachwear and souvenirs. I found the area quieter than further down the boardwalk, around 2nd street and below where the hustle and bustle of the restaurants, shops, visitors and amusements are. I got a good rate on the room; I had booked for a standard room but was upgraded to a mini-suite when the standard rooms were all booked (at no extra cost). We were on a 7th floor oceanview corner room, where we had two balconies, one overlooking the parking lot and the blue waters of the bay and the other overlooking the beautiful blue skies, a great side view of the ocean/beach and the streets of Ocean City which were so nice to look at especially when lit at night. Room was generally clean and very spacious. Some areas of the ceiling had some wear, balcony rug and back area plastic part of the balcony curtain were not so clean, but these were only minor things. Suite had a small kitchen with sink, coffeemaker, small fridge and microwave which was great for making breakfast and heating up snacks. Parking was right on the premises. On our last couple of days there was a security guard verifying that we were guests at the hotel, which was pretty good considering the parking lot seemed to always be full and out of parking spaces beyond 9pm and considering it was Bike Week (parking spaces accomodated 4 motorcycles per space) so parking wasn't an issue for us. Staff was nice and friendly. I would definitely consider coming back here if my family and I visited Ocean City again.

Enjoyed Our Stay

We stayed at the Paradise Plaza Inn for a 3-day weekend and took advantage of their "get-away" package which included a $40 restaurant voucher, champagne, movie and gift of glasses. We found the room and the staff to be wonderful. We'd recommend it.

Perfect hotel, the best location!

We stayed at the Paradise Plaza for 3 nights in mid-August, and we loved it! The hotel staff were so friendly, and very helpful. We got an excellent rate here, and for the room we had, and the location on the boardwalk I would have paid more. We had an oceanfront room with a balcony, there was a sink, mini fridge, and microwave in the room which was a nice surprise. The hotel also provides you with 2 bottles of water each day. The cleaning staff was excellent, always finished by 10 or 10:30. The location on 9th street is perfect, you step outside, you're on the Boardwalk, down the steps, you're on the beach. Everything was walking distance, you don't need to move your car once you get there. The only thing that is wrong with this hotel is the restaurant Jimmis 9th Street Grill. We went for dinner there one night and the food was way too overpriced for the quality that you get. Stay away from this restaurant, there are plenty of much better choices.

A++ all the way

let me start by saying there is nothing like a hotel where you feel as if you can take your shoes off and not wonder what is on the carpet. well this is the place. i stayed there with 5 friends and we were all happy with this place. the room was a good size for 6 adults, it had a nice balcony, and everything worked. the only thing that i was not crazy about is the pool in the parking lot but other than that i loved my stay there.

Try for yourself!

I am only writing this since I also stayed early July and know the issues a previous review mentioned. I feel every hotel I have ever stayed in has it's strengths and weaknesses, as long as they try to accomodate everyone the best of their ability, I have always been happy. When you go to the beach in the summer are you there to critique the hotel or enjoy the beach and all the surroundings? I was witness to what I believe her complaints were with rude staff but failed to mention how she barked at the staff first, rudely I might mention. I am sure all the bureau, chamber and clubs all have a file on her because I do not think anything or anyone could make her satisfied. I think the hotel does everything they can with the ammenaties they have and were vary accomodating to any request I had. I would definately return and urge anyone elso to also.

Nicer than most

We arrived at the hotel too early to check in, but the lady at the front desk squeezed us in a little early. Housekeeping people spoke to us everyday and asked us how are room was and if we needed anything else. The room was modern and very clean! We had an oceanfront with 2 doubles, kitchenette and sitting room with sleeper sofa. The view from the patio was EXCELLENT! Definately worth a few extra bucks for the oceanfront! You could see the gorgeous view from the moment you stepped in the room. Even though there is a lot of noise on the boardwalk at night, the room was completely quiet when you closed the patio doors.

The restaurant/bar downstairs was quiet and relaxing and had excellent food. You can even get room service and eat in the room or out on the patio. There is also a Sunsations, Dairy Queen, Alaska Stand and Candy Kitchen on the boardwalk level of the hotel.

A few bad things...The elevators were slow and people were getting stuck in them, so they marked them out of order for a couple of days. Also, someone kept pulling the fire alarm as soon as we would get to sleep. The pool is in the parking lot and very small for a hotel this size. There is no indoor pool. Also, no continental breakfast or coffee in the lobby, although each floor does have an ice machine and snack machine. Parking lot is small for the hotel and the overflow lot is across the street.

If you want peace and quiet, this is not the area in which to stay. However, the hotel is in a GREAT location if you want to be in the heart of the action and near the boardwalk amusements.

Nice Vacation Spot

When we intially were looking for a hotel, we were almost scared away from the Pradise Plaza due to some negative comments we saw here. But we're glad we stayed there! The location was perfect, the staff was extremely friendly and accomodating, the rooms were clean, and we got a great deal -- what more do you expect from something that's not a resort? Previous complaints about walking through the DQ or having to go "around the building" were overblown -- walking around, if desired, only added a few steps. It was hardly an inconvenience. The additional parking across the street was close by and easy to get to, if you needed your car at all -- everything was so close by that we didn't need to use the car. The pool was large enough and clean -- we didn't stay on the boardwalk hoping for a great pool. Overall we had a great experience, and we'd stay here again!

dirty floors,surprises in the pool

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in october of 2005.The rooms were extremely dirty.There were dead bugs in the corners from the first day that we checked in.There are only 5 handicapped parking spots in the lot.The motorcycles are always parked in two of those parking spots.There were bikers there that used 3 of the parking spots per room.One for the truck,another for the trailer,and yet another for their motorcycle.They were instructed one place per room,that was a laugh.Parking there in the late evening is impossible,you had to park in the overflow lot which was across the street.The handicapped parking was never enforced.When it was brought to their attention,the man working the lot told me he instructed then to park there. It seems as if the carpets in the rooms are never swept from day to day.The sand always ends up in your bed.One morning there was a surprise in the pool.Feces.The matter was picked up in a net and dumped over the fence.The pool was never closed or disenfected.If you are looking for a good place to stay,you better pass this one up.It is far from that.

nice view But

Sept. 11 - 16
We get to the hotel were tired and we have had a long day of driving and we have wait because to manager is doing something else so some girl who sitting at the check in desk just stairs at us and she can`t check us in for some reason.
The view is wonderfull you have no private balconie.
The room was clean it had a kitchenette. The house keeping was a differnt story.The reviews of this hotel said you get a bag a amenities like the water,bath and body works shampoo and lotion if you did`t want your room cleaned, but we did`t get that. I had to ask for it. The next day was a little better we got the water and other stuff but our roll of toilet paper was very low and was not changed. The sheetes had sand on them and I could not get all of it out of the bed. They were not changed. I got tired of asking for stuff that they should allready do.
We will never go back

gotta go in this placegotta go in this place

Lobster larger than life!Lobster larger than life!

Phillips RestaurantPhillips Restaurant

Help with Crabbing

by sabre113

Hey I have a question about crabbing,
( I hope this has something to do with travel to Ocean City, if not, I'm sorry.)

I'm going on a summer mission trip to Ocean City for the surf and sand clubs. For one of the skits I have to do I have to be a crabber and since Maryland is (supposedly, I don't know but I'll try some crab while I'm there) the king of crab I thought one of you might be able to tell me regulations for crabbing in Maryland and how you crab, what you need, etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Joshua

RE: Help with Crabbing

by crablaw

Hello and welcome to Maryland!

There are many regulations and less formal traditions about crabbing, a few of which are available at my website Crablaw.com (which is not commercial.)

For a little local lingo, I direct you to the crab logo and to Crablaw Terms, as well as to this archive of the early days of my site.

Here are current crabbing regs from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Some highly detailed information about crab pots and trot lines.

Good luck - hope it's a good trip!

RE: RE: Help with Crabbing

by jelw

Well I am from Virginia home to the Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab. I won't be able to help on law as Crablaw did. I can tell you some of our age old techniques though.
Some actually use a line. I never have, we use crab "pots" or traps. Usually made of chicken wire, it is a box with a volcano shaped hole in the center. The hole allows the crab to climb in but they usually can't get out. There are other types as well. Whichever type is used the most common "bait" in these parts are chicken necks or any discards of raw chicken. Crabbers tend to do well with hot dogs as well. Put your "pot" in the water, kick back with a cold lemonade and relax...your dinner comes to you.

Comments