48th Street & Coastal Highway, Ocean City, Maryland, 21842, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Poor

• I do not reccomend this Hotel

The Princess Bayside is known is Ocean City as being one of the higher end hotels in the beach town. However, after my stay in August I realized that this hotel can no longer be recognized as a high-end hotel, as it is advertised. Firstly, there was no sheet on the beds that covered the mattress. Therefore,when I was sleeping during the night and I would roll over, the sheet that was supposed to be fitting the mattress was just a plain sheet so when I moved around when I awoke in the morning, half of my body was laying ontop of a dirty mattress. That is gross! A high end hotel should have sheets that fit the mattress. When I spoke to the management about this problem, one particular manager laughed at me telling me that my complaint was absurd! Another issue with the hotel was all of the vending machines were broken. Not only could I not find a cold drink anywhere in the hotel but it took my money as well. Another problem with this hotel was a shortage of towels. The maid only left me and my roomate with two shower towels and two hand towels. When I called to request more, the towels never arrived at my room and I had to walk all the way down to the front desk, which happened to be in the other building, just to get my towels. I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone looking for a high-end hotel.

More about Princess Bayside Beach Hotel

The worst service ever

by TripAdvisor Member stinabeaner

I started going to ocean city maryland about 5 or 6 years ago. We chose the princess bayside every year becasue we were happy with the location the view and the service was always decent. This year was horrible!!! The hotel had no hot water, no air conditioning in the halls or elevators and smelt like mildew. The pool was green and cloudy and the room keys weren't working. The main disappointment was the service. We were treated like trash, the house keepers were very rude and unprofessional, the managers were not accomidating at all. We cut our stay short and changed our hotel, we stay at the hilton wich was beatiful and comfortable.

mixed reaction

by TripAdvisor Member captmunson

my first trip to princess Bayside was with a group that had a block of rooms.. most had stayed there in the past 2 years . I was disappointed that with the block of rooms, the group was spread out
among the different buildings and on seperate floors, but I guess if too many from a group are close together they are worried about it getting too rowdy. The pool was somewhat cloudy,not the cleanest
but in fairness the temps the previous 3 days had been around 100 degrees so the pool got quite a work out. The price seemed a bit high. I have stayed at much nicer places in Washington DC during Memorial day weekend for 1/2 the price but it seems to be the going rate for the area and they were all booked solid. Close to seacrets made it nice just walk to the club parking was tight
definately a party place dont count on too many moms and dads
with kids to enjoy a late week/weekend stay

Nice, but some issues

by TripAdvisor Member badgeris

We (me, husband (early 30s), daughter 7, son 3 and son 1) stayed at the Princess Bayside late March 2007 with a convention, so we had a group/off-season rate. At first I was excited to be staying there, because I assumed it would be much nicer than our usual hotel, the Ramada, which is becoming condos. I called the hotel the day before we were to arrive and requested that a crib be placed in my room. My thinking was that the baby would sleep better in a true crib rather than my pack & play, which he is not used to. "I'll take care of that request", was what Lori told me. When I arrived, they said they knew the crib was supposed to be in the room, and they assumed housekeeping had taken care of it. We got to the room, but no crib. I immediately called the front desk, as it was already well past bed time, and they informed me that housekeeping was not available at that hour (I was staying in the south building, not in the same building as the front desk). They agreed to have security bring me a crib. About ten minutes later, the night manager and security officer arrived with a pack & play (exactly what I DIDN'T want). I thanked them anyway...and of course, the baby was up until 2am, screaming. The next day, I had a message on the room phone, stating that I would need to get to the front desk with a form of payment, as they were charging me $15 per day for the pack & play. We paid only $60 for the whole weekend for the room with the group rate...why would I pay another $60 for a pack & play when I could just go to Walmart and buy a new one for $40?! And that's exactly what we did...we returned the hotel pack & play to the front desk, and my husband asked them to remove the charge from our bill. When I requested the crib, the rep never told me that they only offer pack & plays, nor that there would be a charge.

Anyway, the room was clean, and I really loved having a kitchenette, complete with stove, microwave, full size fridge, dishes, a toaster, dishwasher, corkscrew, etc. We had two queen beds (better than two doubles!) with Tempur Pedic mattresses...that was truly the highlight of the hotel. Pillows could be better-they're pretty hard. We also had a private balcony and lovely bay view. The cleaning staff was great and very accommodating. The pool was clean and no one else was there when we took the kids...however, it was VERY cold. Within minutes, the kids all had purple lips. There's no way you could hang out for a while and enjoy it. Also, the pool is in the north building, so you have to trek between the two buildings with wet clothes/hair. In the pool room were a couple of video/pinball games, which were rusty and not functioning properly, due to their water exposure.

The hotel does not offer a continental breakfast (so we stocked up on stuff we could cook ourselves), but does offer a restaurant. My husband said they have excellent crab soup in a bread bowl...but it was mostly bread bowl.

The hotel also does not offer free internet access. You must pay $10 per day. I thought that was really ridiculous.

All in all, our stay was nice. For the rates they charge in season, I really think Princess Bayside could use some improvement. Our convention has always stayed at the Ramada, which might be a "lesser" hotel, but they always seemed to go the extra mile in the way of service. Seems like Princess Bayside should try a little harder to remember why they're there.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dawn46

My husband and I stayed at the Princess Bayside August 20th-23rd. I was nervous about staying here after reading some of the reviews. We have been to OC seven times, always renting a condo on the beach with our kids (excluding this summer where we stayed at the Hilton suites). We decided to go alone for a few days and didn't need oceanfront because we didn't have kids. It didn't really matter because we were only a block away and the sunsets were worth it. We stayed in a bayview efficiency which was beautiful. The room was very clean and wasn't in any need of any updating. I found the hotel to be very contemporary, The beds were extremely comfortable. Never had a problem with the bottom sheets coming undone. Actually, I don't know of any hotel that uses fitted sheets. I know the Hilton at $429/night didn't have fitted sheets either. The view from our balcony was beautiful and was located next door to Seacrets which was a plus for us. There is construction going on next door, but all thoughout OC, construction is going on. It didn't wake us up. The A/C worked. It was a little loud, but certainly not overpowering. There was also no indication of loud, young people as some posters stated. Mostly there were families and I never heard anyone but the seagulls in the morning. There is a beach by the bay and little kids would love it. You could walk out forever and the water was only knee-deep.

The rooftop pool area was nice, but the pool was green. Looking down to the left was a condo called Wight Bay and that pool water was a crystal clear blue. Couldn't say the same for our hotel. Also, indoor pool looked a little questionable.

Room was clean when upon arrival, but I felt they could've cleaned up a little more. They didn't throw out any bottles or cans nor do the dishes in the sink or dishwasher. At the Hilton they did this.

Finnigans left alot to be desired. It had an awful smell to it. I thought, vomit but my husband thought it was the brass rail running around the bar. I can only say the place didn't look that clean and there was never more than 3 or 4 people in the bar at night.

I would recommend staying here for couples and/or kids. I would only stay a few days with my kids, because I think the room was a little small for a week's stay.

bare bones resort

by TripAdvisor Member wvfairy

When a Hotel calls itself a resort online and in its print media, you might expect a few more amenities than we had. For example, our "fully equpped" kitchenette didn't even have a can opener available, but it had a microwave! No corkscrew, very few utensils (i think we had 2 spoons and a fork).

Although there were 3 of us staying in our room, and we had made reservations for 3 and paid for 3, I had to call the front desk every single day we were there to get 3 washcloths instead of just 2.

The staff was a bit terse. When we checked in, it was not obvious that the Bayside is actually split among several buildings. When I asked how to get to our room, the attendant waved casually towards a parking lot and said "oh, it's over there...." so we walked with our bags etc not really understanding where to go.

The food at the buffet was just awful: the crabs were really only the edible thing there. The fish was completely dried out and HARD. The shrimp were like little balls of lead and not even worth peeling. However, Finnegans was very good - I loved my Caesar salad with grilled tuna. So, stay away from the buffet!

We have sinking feeling that someone stole my husband's blazer out of the closet. it was definitely there the evening we went out, but when he went to pack later that evening, it was gone! the only thing we could figure is that maybe somebody snuck in via the balcony since we didn't have that locked.

The room itself was noisy: the A/C sounded like a train was passing through, and we could hear people going in and out of their rooms all night long.

The proximity to the beach was nice: right across the street and parking at the hotel is free which is great.

So, we probably wouldn't stay here again (we stayed here while my husband attended a conference at the Convention Center, which is also very convenient to the hotel.)

Ocean City, MD -: Princess Bay Hotel (newer section)

by TripAdvisor Member petunia123

Pool sanitary problems
Date: August , 2006
Reviewer: A TripAdvisor Member, PA, US
Our stay at the Princess Bay Hotel was not satisfactory for the daily rates they charged for a Bayside Suite. On the second day, our room was made up but the trash containers were not emptied, except for one. That was pretty unsanitary, since the Suite was of efficiency status and food items might have been discarded.
A trip up to the roof top pool was dissapointing, the cement floor had just been painted and the pool water was full with hairballs and scum...like the filter did not work properly? The water was milky and not clear at all. Some families were swimming in it.

Perhaps Managment can economize in ways like other big Hotel chains do and also lower the rates for non-golf package visitors.

It was wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member DCchick06

so this was one of the best times of my life...we stayed here at a crazy time in June.Senior Week! The hotel staff was excellent always wanted to assist us, the rooms were lovely, not to mention the pool side and the beach side..just over all i have recommended this hotel to alot of people...Senior week was one of the best times of my life not to mention this hotel made it even better!

Was a great hotel wish it had not been seinor week!

by TripAdvisor Member joannakreps

The hotel was nice clean and friendly! There is a pool on the rood which is clean and has pleanty of lounge chairs to lounge in. The poolside bar was not open the entire visit, not that big of a deal just thought i would mention it. The building gets locked after 10 i belive so that random people cannot come in, all you have to do is swipe your keycard at the door. There is a nice pub attatched to the hotel we ate thiere twice great food, however the waiters and waitresses don't speak the best english. The hotel is just a block away from the beach but not the boardwalk. We had a balcony overlooking the hotels private beach which was awsome !! it is a private balcony . The private beach was pretty small but still nice to have. Good place for a few drinks was the sandbar looks sorta hole in the wallish but it was loads of fun on karoke night! :) Have a great time

honeymoon!

by TripAdvisor Member quayseygirl

Because of some medical restrictions, we could not travel far for our honeymoon so we chose to spend a week in Ocean City. We read the reviews and there were some good and some not so good but the price was right,the location was great and the amenities seemed like just what we wanted. We booked a non-view room for $59.99/night and the staff upgraded us to a bay-view room with a full kitchen when they heard that we were honeymooning. Everyone was very friendly and helpful any time we needed something. The room was so large and spacious and we had everything we needed along with a beautiful view of the bay on our balcony. The housekeeping staff was great, providing service every day. We spent lots of time at the rooftop pool and even had it to ourselves most of the time. The pool bar was not usually open though. We also did not use the indoor pool because the chlorine was so strong, I couldnt stay in there. The hotel is literally next door to Seacrets and we spent LOTS of time there. We parked our car the first day and never moved it. Ocean City offers transportation for $2 all day and it runs constantly taking you anywhere you want to go. There are stops right in front of the Bayside. My husband hadn't been to the beach in years and loved our hotel and ocean city and can't wait to go back. The rates are much higher in season so it will depend on when we can go and what the rates are next time.

Comments