5400 Coastal Hwy, Ocean City, Maryland, 21842, United States

Satisfaction Average

More about Quality Inn Oceanfront

Not Impressed!

by TripAdvisor Member nanaof3

My husband and I spent two nights at the Quality Inn - Oceanfront on July 14 and 15. I booked our room directly on the hotel website. When I booked it the description of our reservation stated 1 king size bed and 1 sleeper sofa in a smoking room with a pool view. We arrived quite late on the 14th and was surprised to find we were in a non-smoking room on the 3rd floor of a section without any elevator. On the door of our room was a non smoking sign but when entering the room there were 2 ashtrays placed out in the room. I am a smoker but have no problem smoking outside the room but have never booked a smoking room with a non smoking sign with ashtrays placed in it. This hotel is set up as oceanfront rooms and pool view rooms. Please be advised that the pool view rooms have no elevator service and are outside entry facing the outside pool and parking area. No where on the website that I could find does it state that these rooms have no elevator service.
The living and sleeping area were quite nice with decent matress and sofa. This section of the room was clean and nicely decorated. The efficiency area was on the older side with rusted stove/oven and an older frig that was quite pitted.
The bathroom, with the exception being the brand new toilet, was quite disgusting. The shower enclosure was coming away from the wall leaving black mold or dirt ( not sure which ) along all the seams in the tub area. The bathroom really needs replacing! What is it about so many hotels putting water-pik water saver shower heads in?? After a day on the beach the biggest thing I look forward to is a good hot shower. This room had neither! I couldn't even get lukewarm water with the cold spigot turned completely off! The cold water barely came through enough to rinse sand off your arms let alone soap up and rinse.
On the positive side, it is only steps from the beautiful beach.
The indoor tropical atrium was a nice touch. It was fun talking to the many large parrots caged there. I wonder if they live there all year round?
Both the indoor and outdoor pools were large and clean. They also have a small bathroom/changing area for the guests use if you would like to stay at the pool or beach after check-out.
The Atrium Cafe and Bar is small. It is nice for a drink and snack foods or breakfast. Wouldn't consider it for dinner.
I did not see any of the oceanfront rooms so I cannot comment on those. I might consider staying here again if an oceanfront room was available with a decent bathroom.

Neglected hotel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member calligraphy

We stayed here for July 24th for 2 nights-the only reason we did not leave after the first night was there was no availability elsewhere. This place desperately needs some attention-first of all the front area of the oceanfront rooms near the beach is FULL of cigarette butts-just disgusting. Ocean city cleans up its area of sand along the ocean every night with its trucks and does a really great job. But this "hotel" just does nothing whatsoever to sift out all the debri and cigarettes tossed by careless people all over the sand directly if front of the oceanfront rooms. In fact the hotel even put out a pail where people just put some of their cigarettes right outside the side door entrance-terrible. The room also had a horrible smell-it was a nonsmoking room and had an odd odor of unknown origin. The marketing of this hotel with its "TROPICAL indoor atrium" is really unbelievable. There are several cages with some poor, unfortunate parrots which have to be subjected to cigarette smoke and rude guests who we observed literally yelling at the birds to "SHUT UP". Not only that, we observed a mouse running around on the bottom of one of the birds cages. It was pointed out to an employee at the hotel and he did not seem the least bit surprised . In all fairness it does seem the employees try to take care of the birds, at least they had food and water, and cover the cages at night. Personally it is objectionable to see exotic birds cooped up like this just to be assaulted by ignorant patrons of this place. What is going on with the management here? The board of health should investigate this place. This is a low class dump and needs a complete overhaul and new management. We could not even consider eating at their small restaurant it was such an appalling place.

No quality in this Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member BCHTVLR

Stayed there the week of 7-27-06 for 3 nights, with wife and teenage kids in a Waterfront room on the 3rd floor. The only good thing about our stay was the view . Ice machine was broken, and so were the two elevators, guest were carrying their luggage up to their rooms, game room pool table, was also broken. Don't be fooled by the picture of the Atrium on their website (very tacky). The bar closes at 11:00pm, and the outdoor pool at dusk. Must have heard at least 3 complaints while walking through the lobby (no kidding). I have never written a bad review about a hotel, but felt compelled after my stay here. For $275 a night for this service, I felt ripped off. BE WARNED!!

Wont be back

by TripAdvisor Member sandhog

I have stayed at this hotel in the past with no problems.I used to stay at The Castle in the Sands but wanted to try something else.
First time all was OK and went back this past week.
Was told at booking I would be in a 4th floor "premium"room that had "just been redone".I checked in and booked into a 3rd floor room and was told "that is all I have available" when I questioned the change.I went to the room and found it in generally poor condition.It wasnt the fault of the housekeepers,it was the maintainance staff.The walls were covered with peeling dingy wallpaper,peeling paint on the ceilings and just looked dirty.I called the front desk and told them this room wasnt acceptable.
Suddenly two rooms on the 4th and 5th floors became available!!.I went to the 5th floor and the room was better but not what you'd expect for almost $300 a night.The lock on the screen to the patio was broken and after it was fixed I accepted the room.
I like the paper at the door in the AM and coffee in the lobby for guests.The housekeeping staff does a great job even though the maintance staff is lacking badly.It seems there is only 1 older gentleman that I have noticed doing maintainance in the place and he seems to have trouble finding what needs attention.Once a problem is BROUGHT to thier attention,they fix it ASAP.
The hot tubs are unkept and badly soiled,the pool wasnt vacumed the whole time I was there.I wouldnt bathe my neighbors dog in that hot tub(And I dont like him).
I still had a great time.The view is great and thats the reason I come to the beach ..FOR THE BEACH......I'll stay somewhere else next time.

Ripped Off!!!

by TripAdvisor Member bigwood

Picked this hotel because of its proximity to the beach. On arrival, we found that the front desk clerk was "having a bad day" as she was snitty with my wife who had some simple ocean city questions. The hallways and elevator glass were filthy, and the elevator was broke so it was impossible to get to our fith room. We tried the service elevator, "service employees only" but it was congested with service workers trying to get their job done. I even had an employee tell me that we could not ride the service elevator. 5 flights of stairs and bad knees. you can get the picture. the room was clean and all was in working order. Kids ran rampant up and down the hallways. possibly why the elevator was congested. The indoor pool was murky, and could hardly see the bottom. The bar/restaurant was clean and fair priced, but the staff again were grumpy and unhelpful. upon check out, again the staff was "having a bad day". All we wanted to hear was "did you have a nice stay?" nothing... Very expensive for what you received at this hotel. the pictures on thier website are doctored and make it look ten fold better than what you really get. I feel ripped off, and will not be back!

GREAT for Families

by TripAdvisor Member mackmort

My husband daughter (age 6) and myself stayed here for two nights in August. We had stayed here two years prior and were pleased so we decided to return. I was a litle nervous because based on the reviews I had read on this site it appeared the property had gone downhill. Well that was not the case.

We stayed on the fifth floor in an ocean front room. the front desk had advosed us the the fourth and fifth floors were recently redone. Our bathroom was done with all new fixtures and tile. The kitchen also had new appliances . However the cooking utensils were few.

The bed and bedspread was clean and well cared for.

All in all this is a great place for families the pool both indoor and outdoor was filled to the max with kids for our daughter to play with.

GREAT TRIP!

Needs some work!

by TripAdvisor Member Ally2020

Overall the hotel was ok, but if you're looking for a quiet night's sleep, this may not be for you. Our screen door leading to the balcony was broken, so it was a struggle to open and close the door. The balcony was nice (if dirty), but when your upstairs neighbor opens their balcony door (it slides across the floor on a roller), it sounds like a freight train in your room! Very disrupting, especially if your neighbor wakes up at 6am and repeatedly opens the balcony, as mine did.

The kitchenette and shower were both ok. Shower was hot, always a plus. Very short walk to the beach. Wallpaper had a rip in it, and one of the curtains was hanging off its rack. Initially the hotel staff wasn't very friendly upon check-in. I also didn't see any fruit or fresh coffee in the lobby, which the other reviews have mentioned, but maybe I missed it. No free breakfast. Thankfully I didn't go in the atrium and see the poor parrots, either...

Neglect beyond understanding!

by TripAdvisor Member karnf

Just got back from a one night stay with our friends who wanted
to give us a stay where they knew I woud love for the parrots there. When I walked in the pool atruim area my heart sunk and the chlorine smell was overwhelming. To a person who didn't
know anything about parrots and the environment they need,
it might look like a wonderful place.
Well, from what I saw, it was a unkept place that housed an
atruim with parrots who were being subjected to an unhealthy
abusive environment that I couldn't believe what I saw. I literally stayed up all night sick thinking about the loud noice, chlorine and bromine they had to inhale at close proximenity, and lack ofsleep every day of their lives. Nothing has effected me so greatly.
I located the staff and asked what time do they cover the cages?
They looked disturbed that I asked and said eight or nine but
the pool doesn't close till ten. They didn't cover them till after that
time but the loud noice from the bar continued till 2am. I was
sickened that they have lived in this condition so long. My friend
booked a room ten years ago and the parrots were there. A couple of parrots sit next to the elevator with noice and lights all night long. There food is very limited to nonvegetable products
(peanuts, treat and very small pellets). I saw one parrot (Rocky) shriving in the corner of the cage with no toys and the keeper just made an excuse. Don't get me wrong. The person feeding them seems to care for them but he is a maintenance man who spends about 45 minutes a day feeding them. That is the only
close human contact. The rest is people saying hello or screaming shut up to them. IF the hotel is going down in neglect. what effort is made for the well being of the parrots. They are just statues sitting in their prison and hardly ever taken out. Are they just a novelty for the guests to look at? It only sickenspeople who really know how parrots are to live dignified lives. This has to be reported to the authorities for someone to rescue them from there hell.Can you imagine the loud torment and lack of sleep they endure in the high season. There was
a litte boy screaming but a parrot's cage late at night (1pm)
about a toy and the parrot starting walling from the boy's sound.
The father didn't quiet his son and the parrot seemed in distress.
This was my first time anywhere having a room with a ocean
view but the abuse I saw made for a trip I will never forget but not
for the right reason.
And yes, we were on the third floor by the pool and the room
was so run down and moldy spell we had to sleep with the
window wide open. The jacuzzi had rules for no children under five allowed but the rules were constantly broken which made for a dirty hot tub.
I have never been to a hotel so loud. Can you imagine what
loud abuse the parrots endure in the midst of it all. We could
close our door, they couldn't. Please help report the abuse!

this hotel needs to be tore down

by TripAdvisor Member yeahdilly

This hotel was a complete disaster and that does not begin to describe it. I think at one time it might have been decent but not anymore. Furthermore some of the rooms we were told by the staff had bedbug and roach problems. That is completely disgusting. We paid probably 100.00 more than we should've.
There are many hotels in ocean city and please stay with them instead of this dump.

Such Wasted Potential!!

by TripAdvisor Member raewalkins

We have stayed at this hotel off-season every year for the past 6 years! We love it!! It is so wonderful and relaxing inside. The staff is always friendly!!! There are free papers and fresh fruit daily. The indoor pool has a great kiddie pool actually attached to the big pool so it is nice for the parents. There is an indoor play area/room overlooking the atrium that is nice! The atrium is beautiful and the birds, fish, and vegetation are well cared for! The soda machines actually sell soda for 50 cents still! The kitchenettes have a large fridge and come equiped with pots, pans, silverware, glasses, and plates! AND there are complimentary washers and dryers so don't forget your detergent :)
Unfortunately....the outside needs a desperate paintjob, the rooms need new carpet and beds, one jacquizi is always broken, the outdoor pool leaves a lot to be desired, the childrens play area outside needs upkeep, and the inside play area is in need of books.

to the batcave, Robinto the batcave, Robin

The History of the BoardwalkThe History of the Boardwalk

The Sea Rocket, 9/27/2003The Sea Rocket, 9/27/2003

Barefoot Beachcomber - Good or Bad?

by kierston

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to whether the Barefoot Beachcomber is a good place to stay or not. We are a family of 5 looking for an inexpensive place to stay around the midtown area of OC.

Re: Barefoot Beachcomber - Good or Bad?

by littlesam1

The Barefoot Beachcomber is an average motel at the Ocean. It is probably reasonable. If my memory serves correctly it is on the Ocean Side of Ocean City but I am not sure if it is directly on the beach or off by a couple of blocks.

Larry

Re: Barefoot Beachcomber - Good or Bad?

by kellywillpgh

Hey -
did you end up staying there?
what did you think?