The Commander Hotel

14th St. and Boardwalk, Ocean City, Maryland, 21842, United States

More about The Commander Hotel

Leave your butts at home

The Commander Hotel in Ocean City, Maryland was nothing fantastic but it was clean. They neglect to mention it is a NON-SMOKING hotel until you arrive and even then you find out only by the little plaques next to each door. Regardless, people were smoking on their balconies from every direction. The employees were friendly, the maids do not speak English, and the guy who owns the pool restaurant flirts like crazy. It is very darkly decorated for a beach hotel. Not that it matters to your stay, but the large artwork in the hallways and rooms is comical, and looks like your kid did it in art class - lots of stripes or shapes even solid blue with a green square in the middle, that kind of stuff. The entire hotel sits diagonal to the boardwalk which makes for some interesting views. Nice, large beachfront area. Overall not a bad place, and I would stay there again.

Relaxing environment by the ocean-you can be yourself!

This hotel is perfect because it is right on the boardwalk, yet it is not caught in the midst of loud music and commotion found in certain areas. The decor of the hotel is not trendy or chic. However, it is very clean and the staff is friendly. It is a great place to stay, if you are hoping to hang out at the ocean and relax with your family in a non-uptight enviornment. It is hard to find a close parking spot, but that seems to be a universal problem at Ocean City.

Great Location

We stayed at the Commander July 24-30, 2005. We had never been to OC before and wanted to stay on the boardwalk. The Commander is located at 14th street which is right aboout in the middle of the boardwalk. This is the area where the boardwalk traffic starts to thin out. There is more traffic to the south due to the increased number of retail stores and restaurants.
Also, be careful as to the location of your hotel's pool. Some (not the Commander's) are located right on the boardwalk. No privacy.

Nice hotel, great location, no iron!

by TripAdvisor Member Asil12

My family and I stayed at The Commander Hotel last week from 8/27/05-9/1/05. It was our 1st time in Ocean City, MD and we wanted to stay on the boardwalk, yet not in the midst of all the traffic. The Commander hotel has a perfect location! And the hefty prices is mostly due to the location, not the ammenities. Or lack there of...there is no iron or board in the room or even in the entire hotel. Yes, that's right, a hotel that doesn't supply an iron.

Okay, no biggie, if I had known ahead of time, but since I didn't, we were forced to waste our 1st day looking for an iron, and trust me that wasn't an easy task.

Anyway, we had an ocean front room with 2 full beds, a pullout sofa, 2 tv's, a great kitchen and a private balcony. The kitchen had a full size fridge, toaster, micro and coffee maker, as well as a sink, dishes and silverware. The a/c wasn't powerfull to get to the bedroom, so I personally wasn't comfortable when I slept, since I like a cool room. Though it was like an ice box in the living room. The balcony was a wonderful feature, especially in the morning while having coffee.

The housekeeping was OK, though they took forever to get your room done. And I had to ask for additional towels every day. I would think they would just get the message and leave me enough each day, instead of making me ask. The 2 women who did our floor started calling me the "towel lady" in spanish, they didn't know my husband understood!

The outdoor pool is nice enough, but the hours of the pool and the pool bar were sketchy. It's supposed to close at 5pm or 6pm so one never knew, and sometimes it was closed in the middle of the day with no explanation. The indoor pool, though open until 10pm, is the size of a postage stamp and very sauna like.

I wouldn't recommend the breakfast buffet. We got there at 10:30, 1/2 hour before it closes and what was left of the food was cold. They never put anything fresh out. The staff wasn't friendly and we felt as though we were bothering them.

I would stay here again, as long as the price isn't more than what we paid this time. Ocean City is a very fun place to visit. The beaches are gorgeous and there is lots to do and see. I recommend that you venture off the boardwalk too, the restaurants are better and there are different things to do too.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member Tiki33

We were in Ocean City for the second half of our vacation (Aug 30-Sept 2). Overall we had a great trip.
When we checked in around 3:30 (check in time is 3) there was only one person working the front desk (a very friendly older man who turned out to be the nicest person working there) helping another couple ahead of us check in. This wouldn't have bothered me, but behind the front desk's partition we could hear a bunch of the hotel workers who didn't seem to care that there were people waiting to check in.
We stayed in one of the Captain's Suites which had a very large balcony overlooking the beach and boardwalk (with a small table, chairs and lounge chairs), which was the best part of the room. We were able to see both the sunrise and sunset from the balcony. There was a large refrigerator in the room with a microwave and sink. The bathroom was large with a dual-head shower and whirlpool tub.

There were a few minor things about this hotel that made me wonder and scratch my head:
-First was the soap dispensors instead of little soaps and shampoos. I know it's cheaper, but for a little extra money (hey add it on to the price of the room!) it would make a big difference.
-No iron & board.
-There was no clock in the room. Not a big deal, but neither of us had a watch, so we had to turn on the TV to find out the time.
-The room was painted a dark blue which made the room a bit depressing. What I did to help was open the shutters on the windows (which were white PVC) to lighten up the walls and let the sun in. The screens to the windows should be replaced. One of the windows didn't have a screen.
-Also, as stated by others, the Commander Hotel is a non-smoking hotel. It would have been nice to know in advance (I probably would have booked a different hotel), since my husband smokes. NOWHERE on the website, hotel brouchure or confirmation letter is this stated. So we were out on the balcony most of the time.

And since the Commander Hotel doesn't include breakfast, we went to The Fractured Prune on 28th Street for doughnuts (highly recommended & worth the trip!). We were able to walk to it (not bad - about a mile or so). On our last morning we woke up to watch the sunrise and we drove down and bought a few doughnuts and coffee. We went back to the room and sat out on the balcony enjoying the last few hours of our vacation before we headed home. I would have rated the hotel a 3 out of 5, but because of the balcony I'm giving the hotel a 4 out of 5.

Great location, pretty good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member purplehuff

My husband and I stayed at the Commander the weekend of the Sunfest. I would definetely stay there again, but in another type of unit. We stayed on the Promenade level, which is Oceanfront. If you are claustriphobic like I am then this is not the unit to stay in. The bedroom is in the back of the room, the bed is positioned on a short wall where there is no room for a night stand on either side. So if you wear glasses , there is no place to put them when retiring. Also no place to put an alarm clock. The couch was some type of vinyl fabric? Not really sure what is was made of but the sand would keep coming to the surface of the fabric after you sat on it. I solved the problem by placing a sheet over sofa so you were not in contact with the material. Other than that the room was clean and well maintained. The lady who checked us in, I believe her name was P.J. was fantastic, very friendly and informative about things to do in the area. I would definitely stay at The Commander again, just a unit with a more open floor plan. I believe those type of rooms are in the Cabana building.

Great Hotel in Ocean City

by TripAdvisor Member E-Double3

We stayed at the Commander Hotel over Easter weekend with our three year old daughter. We stayed there because of the rating this hotel received on tripadvisor.com. We were not diappointed. The price quoted over the phone was accurate. Rooms were clean. The staff was friendly and helpful with our requests. The indoor pool was well kept. The hotel provides ample parking. I would definatly stay in one of there ocean front rooms again. Great view of the ocean and boardwalk. This hotel is in walking distance to several places to eat.

The only negative were the size of the beds. Most beds are full sized so if you are big and tall try to stay in a room with a queen size bed.

Great location, very clean room and very clean air!! Hallelujah!!

My wife and I were looking for a weekend getaway location in Ocean City proper that provided an ocean view and clean rooms. We found the perfect location with an added feature of real value to us. We are both non-smokers and allergy sufferers so not just any location would suit our needs. Based on recommendations from friends, we made a reservation at the Commander Hotel on 14th St in Ocean City. We got an oceanfront room on the 6th floor of a non-smoking building. We were also told upon our check in about special arrangements the hotel had made for non-smokers and allergy sufferers. We took this option and the results were spectacular. Once we got to our room and opened the door, the quality and smell of the air inside our room was immediately noticeable. It was odor free and have a very clean smell, if you can imagine smelling clean. This cleansing was created by a small air purifying unit plugged in the a wall outlet. It worked phenominally as was barely noticeable in the room. What a welcomed break from typical musty ocean hotel rooms. We hated to leave the room - the air was that clean. But enough of the clean air. Overall, the Commander is a very nice place to stay in a great location within Ocean City. The rooms and common areas all appear very well maintained and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. A great place to stay in our opinion. And, we'd highly recommend reserving room with the air purification unit. You'll be glad you did!

The hotel from hell

Last year we had the unfortunate thing of staying at this hotel. the staff was rude, the rooms disgustingly dirty. the view was nice and so was the pool, however the rest was pretty bad. i have read these reviews and it seems to me that someone other than past guests have written these. I will never go back.

Excellent Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member dholmes68

My family stayed here for a long weekend getaway. The hotel was very clean, the front desk people were nice and pleasant. Our room was exceptional, compared to the other smaller motels and hotels on the boardwalk. You pay the price for the room, which was a little over $200/night but you certainly get what you pay for. We were in room 460 which is one of the corner rooms with an extra large balcony and absolutely beautiful views of the beach and boardwalk. There were 2 full size beds and a pull out sofa bed, you could potentially fit 6 people in the room but to me the full size beds felt too small for 2 grown people. The room itself was the size of an effeciency apartment with a sink, microwave and full size fridge. Lots of room to walk around.The bathroom only had a shower but it was a pretty big shower and the water was nice and hot! The decor of the room and hotel was nice and pleasing, more upscale than most of the motels in the area. There was a small indoor pool, which came in handle for the kids as it was a cool June weekend and a little too cold for the outdoor pool. You can walk right out on the boardwalk and enjoy the many sites of OC. The beach was clean, but the water was way too cold for me. I didn't try the restuarant in the hotel. The only drawback was the parking lot was always full and very tight to manuver in. They had 2 other lots which were about a block away, so we pretty much parked away from the hotel. Ocean city is a fun place to go for a quick relaxing beach getaway! I would highly recommend this hotel.

Comments