The Stowaway Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel & Spa
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

• worst hotel service

I have stayed in Grand Hotel for one week in Dec 2010. My previous experience with this hotel was good but this year we have received a terrible service. There was a superviser named Nina in check-in and she rejected our requests with a non-pleasant tone. We did not like our room and asked to change it several times. They have always rejected it with simple excuses. Even the room service did not come one day for cleaning. Hotel has a nice location but also has a terrible administration. I hope they change it soon.

• xstacey's Profile Photo

Big Guestrooms and Good View

We stayed here while visiting OC, MD for a Wine Festival. While the hotel was good, the festival was weak. Hardly any wineries and not worth the trip for that alone. Fortunately, we still had a good time - always do! Price/value wasn't bad (about 159.00 per night) but then again we where there towards the off season (October). Too chilly to enjoy the water, but it was warm enough to sit on the balcony during the day and then at night wrapped in a blanket watching the waves.

Small kitchette area (small frige and microwave), coffee maker and coffee, hairdryer, ironing board and iron are part of the in-room amenities.

Only thing i noticed that could be an annoyance was they would not take visa check cards or debit (even with a mastercard or visa logo on it). I missed Breakfast at the hotel's restaurant but my then boyfriend said it was sub -par.

The photos below were taken from the balcony of our guestroom.

Unique Quality: This hotel had huge guestrooms and a nice ocean front balcony with a couple of plastic adirondack chairs. Free Parking (garage, lot and off street). Decent place to get coffee on site too.

More about The Stowaway Grand Hotel

Could be better

Check in went smoothly. There was no bell hop or there was just one. So we managed to move our stuff on our own. The refidgerator did work to well but after a couple of days it worked. Fighting with the ice machines was not a pleasant thing. So we went across the street and bought our own ice. The people at the hotel didn't really give you any information regarding resturants or the surrounding area. They could of been more informative. We found that the locals really helped on where to go for breakfast and things like that. I didn't think there was a commetary breakfast for the price you would think there would be one. Anyways we tried the buffet upstairs and I suggest not to do that. It was very warm up there and the buffet was all dried out. It really wasn't worth the $7.95. The workers didn't seem to friendly. What was nice was the access to the beach and boardwalk. Check out didn't go as smoothly. Everyone wanted to check out at the same time it seemed. We couldn't find a cart or bell hop so we ended up taking about three or four trips back and forth to our room. I probably wouldn't stay here again, it really wasn't worth the $150.00 a night.

Very clean....great location

by TripAdvisor Member bellerose

The Grand hotel is located right on the boardwalk at 21st Street which is at the quiet end of the boardwalk. We found that better than staying on the other end of the boardwalk near the amusement area. They have a convenient tram that runs the boardwalk so you can go to the amusement area and where all the "action" is and then come back to a peaceful night's sleep. It has a coffee shop that's open 24 hours which is convenient. The room we had was spacious and very clean. Each room has a balcony and most rooms have a view of the ocean. We walked right out of the hotel onto the beach, which is very convenient with two small children. The rates are a little pricey and I would pass on the breakfast buffet because it's expensive and not that great, but I would definitely stay at the Grand again.

Great Hotel

We stayed at the Grand Hotel for 3 nights in Sept, 2005 in a premier room with a balcony overlooking the ocean. Our room was clean, quiet, and the front desk was very helpful and polite in answering our questions. We had very comfortable pillows on the beds and lots of thick towels in the bathroom. And - they readily gave us a late checkout time when we asked. So, we think other travelers would enjoy staying at the Grand.

The Grand is Nice

by TripAdvisor Member rickterps

Just returned from a 4-day weekend; we were there Fri-Mon of Sunfest weekend (9/23-9/26). We had a top floor king bed jacuzzi room. We arrived 1.5 hrs before checkin and were allowed to check-in early. Since we had paid in advance (a time-saving move if you can do it), the whole-check-in process took 10 minutes. Our room was clean, the sheets were nice and the jacuzzi worked (it was very nice but, as mentioned in earlier reviews, a little loud). We parked in the garage adjacent to the Grand. Many people have complained about not being able to park in the outside lot in front of the hotel unless they had a truck/SUV or van. We didnt find this to be difficult. The stores are nice in the hotel at boardwalk level. As with any ocean front place, the prices were a bit steep but the convenience balanced this. We checked out Monday morning and weren't hit with any hidden charges. We only drove our car once as restaurants, mini-golf, boardwalk and drug store were all in the immediate vicinity. We will return here again and enjoyed our stay very much. Hope you enjoy your stay also!!
-- The Jordans

The Grand is OK

First of all, the previous trip advisor notations are pretty accurate. The hotel is nice. We had an oceanfront premier king jacuzzi room on the 12th floor, which was also nice and clean, but the hotel has its issues.

It was recommended by several (guests and employees), not to eat at either of the restaurant(s). But that was ok because the hotel is close (within walking distance) to other restaurants/establishments. The hotel staff were very helpful and volunteered pretty good information when we inquired about nearby establishments. I will recommend you try Embers Restaurant at 24th Street. It has a very good buffet. You can't go wrong there.

Some downsides are that I didn't much care for the fact that information about the hotel was not provided upfront. We had to guess where in the hotel the cafe/restaurants were located; and although we did not go to the breakfast buffet, the flyers posted in various areas of the hotel only listed the start time. There were no terrace restaurant hours posted anywhere--there was no indication that the restaurant is only open for breakfast, and if guest chose to remain at the hotel for lunch/dinner, the choices only consisted of either obtaining snacks from the cafe, or eating from the pizzeria. Both of these establishments are owned by the same person as the terrace restaurant. So, there will likely not be any difference in quality among them. However, food/drink offered in the cafe is not bad though.

Another disappointment was, it rained during our stay and we spent most of 1 day in the room. Unfortunately the room did not have a VCR/DVD, and the hotel did not offer rental of either a recorder &/or movies. Because it is a beach area, there were not many activities to do away from the hotel.

Overall, it was nice. The outer windows of the hotel were dirty w/finger prints and needed to be cleaned. The cleaning staff was ok. Because of the rave reviews I've seen about the Holiday Inn & Suites, we decided, out of curiousity to go view its hotel rooms. They are fabulous. I would recommend it over the grand. It has a full suite and is also a little cheaper. However, I would not mind returning to the Grand.

The best in O.C.!!

The Grand is by far the best hotel I have stayed at in Ocean City. I have stayed at 3 other hotels there, and this one was without a doubt the epitome! The hotel in general was absolutely beautiful; spotlessly clean, wonderfully decorated. Our room was perfect; VERY spacious, clean, fully loaded with amenities, including a nice kitchenette area, two large, very comfortable double beds, balcony with a beautiful view, WORKING cable tv, internet access (which came in very handy), and the bathroom was fully set up. The customer service was good; they always had our room cleaned by the time we got back to the hotel at night. I was amazed by how much the hotel had to offer- it had a nice restaurant, a clothing shop, a bakery/cafe, an icecream parlor, a bar and lounge area (which was beautifully set up by the way), a gameroom, and an indoor pool and an outdoor pool with a bar, with large bathroom and showering areas. It also had a beauty salon. I was extremely impressed!! The hotel is located directly on the beach, and all you do is walk right out the glass doors in the back on the main level and you were right on the boardwalk, with the sand just a few feet away!! Everything was very accessible, and there was always someone around to help or get information from, or you could just call customer service at any time on the phone and they would bring you whatever you needed! This hotel definately lives up to its name- GRAND! I highly, highly recommend it!! There is no other hotel I would rather stay at ever again in Ocean City than this one!!!

Fine overnight

by TripAdvisor Member MaineHo_Da

Stayed one overnight, off season. Pleasant staff, all accomodations as expected. Indoor pool operating, in use. Just a couple boardwalk businesses open including hotel coffee and surf shops. Would stay again if good deal.

Roaches in the bathroom

by TripAdvisor Member TootieRed

I stayed this week for one night. There were 2 cockroaches in my bathroom. When I checked out I told the person at the front desk. She said" Oh reallY?" Not even an apology. I will never stay there again.

Comments