Tidelands Caribbean Hotel

Tidelands Caribbean Hotel and Suites
Booking.com Expedia.com BookIt.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• STAY AWAY!!!

Got a 2 room suite for $275 a night, got to room switched light switch on, lights not working. The room reeked of smoke. Told front desk, girl replied 'maybe the lamps are unplugged' (huh??), and 'it's a non smoking floor', like she didn't believe me. Got switched to another room which smelled worse, and lights were not working there either. Also tile floors throughout did not give it a cozy feel. Parking was scarce (my husband had to park in a lot that was across the street from the hotel, and it was a busy street at that!) Immediately went down and demanded a refund. Could not and would not sleep there. Disgusting. WAY Overpriced. Would not recommend to anyone.

• Had A Blast

This was my first and definately not my last stay at this hotel. The people at the front desk were very friendly with me and my friend upon our arrival. We actually held a conversation for a couple minutes while nobody was behind us in line with the guy and girl. The Blue Fin Bar and Grille was also a great place to go at night. The bartender and servers that work there were extremely friendly and very well experienced. The bar was always filled with people and there was virtually no wait time at all for a drink. The rooms were very spacious and comfortable to be in, even with a large group. Although we only spent a few hours in the room sleeping and changing, they were the best rooms that i have stayed in at OCMD. This hotel just got themselves a guest for life. Oh, there was only one problem i had, my key would stop working most of the time, but it was very little of an inconvenience and the front desk employees were more than helpful.

Unique Quality: For adults 21 and over, the on site bar is a great place to go and mingle with all sorts of different people. Everyone was there for one purpose, to have fun. Also it was only a short walk to the pier and it is right on the boardwalk.

More about Tidelands Caribbean Hotel

Loved the Tidelands Caribbean

Just returned home from Ocean City. Our stay at the Tidelands Caribbean was wonderful. Had a two room suite with two king size beds, and a bay view.The front desk staff was great.

They Don't Care About The Guests !!

by TripAdvisor Member Koi_Dragon

I am not quite sure what hotel some of these people writing these reviews are staying at, but it is most certainly NOT the Tidelands Caribbean. It is with a heavy heart that I sit and write this review. Please keep in mind that I have stayed at this hotel on two other occassions and could not have asked for a better time. I guess the third time is NOT a charm.

As I write this review I have just returned home from staying at the Tidelands ( room 302 ). The minute we entered the room we noticed that the room seemed warm. We notified the front desk and someone came up to look at it. Apparently, the unit had froze up and the filter appeared that it had NOT been changed in forever. The advice that we were given was to PUT THE HEAT ON. I was staying at the hotel with my wife and three small children and it was about 90 + degrees outside and was told to put the heat on to defrost the AC unit. Instead I was forced to use a hair dryer to defrost the unit myself. The refrigerator was also froze up so again I had to get out the hair dryer and go to work. I wish I could say that I only had to defrost the AC unit this one time, but it just so happened that this got to be a daily ritual.....even having to do it twice if the AC was actually left on and we didn't shut it off.

On a plus note the housekeeping staff was VERY helpful and friendly. Our housekeeper was VERY nice and even held a conversation while she was straightening up. She happened to tell us that in fact the front desk people were unfriendly and didn't care about the guests. She also informed us that they constantly recieved complaints about the AC unit in room 302, but have done nothing to fix the problem.

My wife was willing to give it one more shot and go to the front desk to request a menu for the pool / deck bar for the hotel. The gentlemen at the front desk seemed uninterested in helping her and told her to call a 223 extension from the room and have them bring one up to her instead. He then laughed and looked at the other front desk clerk. My wife ended up having to leave our building and go to the adjacent building to get the menu herself. After entering the other hotels lobby she was confronted by another guest who was SO ANGRY at the hotel clerks after just one nights stay that they were demanding their moeny back and they wanted to leave the hotel. ( Too bad I didn't think of this myself, but I was trying to salvage the vacation that I had anticipated. )

My wife was more then happy to return the key to the front desk upon our check out. While waiting to return the key my wife noticed the long list laying on the counter of visitors requesting to be transfered to other rooms due to various problems. ( AC units not working, etc. )

I guess all of the "renovations" that were done to the hotel actually lowered the quality of service and accomodations of the hotel. This hotel rooms used to be painted a peachy color and where I am not a big fan of peach I am definitely not a fan of the OLIVE GREEN color the walls in the rooms are now painted. The new bedding is not an improvement either. Does this hotel have something against fitted sheets ? This may not sound like a big deal to some people, but the first time you wake up in the morning and realize that you slept on the bare mattress you will not be too pleased either.

I appologize for this lengthy review and I didn't want to BAD MOUTH the Tidelands, but others have to know the quality of treatment that this hotel staff provides to their guests. Needless to say I will not be returning to the Tidelands after this visit. Instead I will probably try another hotel that TripAdvisor recommends more highly.

Loved the oceanfront view!

Apparently things have changed at the Tidelands. My husband and I experienced none of the problems that other guests say that they have, but I also noticed that they stayed last year. That said, my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had a 4th floor ocean front room and the view was gorgeous. The chairs on the balcony were clean, as was the room. The room had two queen beds and a kitchenette. The kitchenette consisted of a two burner stove, a microwave, a coffee pot, and a refrigerator. There were pots and pans, plates, cups, and silverware. We didn't try the stove, but everything else worked just fine. The lack of carpeting was a little surprising, but the ceramic tile and Caribbean decor of the room were very nice. It was much better than the worn, stained carpet you see in most hotel rooms. We would absolutely return.

Ok Hotel, customer service stinks

by TripAdvisor Member PATraveler4

When we booked this hotel (5 months before our arrival) we asked for a non-smoking room. At that time, there was no mention that non-smoking rooms are not guaranteed. Upon reading our confirmation letter we called, nearly pleading for a non-smoking room. They were willing to cancel our reservation, but would not waive the cancellation fee. The clerk, perhaps trying to appease us, said that a smoking room shouldn't be an issue since they don't have carpeting. Yeah, like the odor won't linger in drapery or mattresses! He told us that there was a possibility that our non-smoking request would be acknowledged since we were arriving mid-week. At check-in, we were put in a smoking room. So much for customer satisfaction! We once booked at a hotel where there was a mix-up. We had to stay in a "smoking" room one night before being moved. The staff bent over backwards to accommodate us and we even received a partial refund for the inconvenience. That's customer satisfaction!
Cleanliness, overall was just o.k. The showers were horrible--very low water pressure. Parking is another problem. There is limited space at the hotel as well as the off sight lot which is two blocks away. We found the staff to be rude and arrogant.
We are frequent travelers as well as frequent visitors to the OC, MD area. Never have we been so disappointed. The only good thing about the Tidelands is its Boardwalk location.

Awesome wonderful hotel

This hotel has a perfect location, seconds from the boardwalk and beach. The room was absolutely perfect, large in size, clean and great ocean block view. Pool bar was great, excellent service, overall a great experience.

As with all reviews, this hotel does have one negative, parking is at a premium. This place would be the perfect destination if not for the parking issue.

With that said, this hotel is still a wonderful choice.

Good Value at the tidelands

by TripAdvisor Member zippnby

We stayed at the Tidelands Carribean the weekend of the June 22. The rooms are huge. We had a room with 2 king size beds and a pull out sofa. We were a family of 5 + 1 friend and the room suited us perfectly. This hotel has a great location. It's right on the boardwalk and the amusements are just a short stroll away. They have two pools (one on the roof and another on the 2nd floor). They are both outside. The staff was very courteous and very helpful. There are only 2 drawbacks to staying at this hotel. The first one is the parking. They don't have enough parking at the hotel. We always had to park at the hotel's offsite parking which was 1.5 blocks away. The other is small, I wish that one of there pools were indoor in case of rain, you had something to do.

Other than that this hotel is great and I would definately consider it again.

Like a Prison

Students Beware! This hotel was seriously like a prison. The hotel would not permit any visitors in their room after 7pm. The security guards continuously harassed us to no end. Eventually coming up with any bogus excuse to kick us out in the middle of the night. They kept three nights lodging of over six hundred dollars. Keep in mind that no other guests at the hotel ever complained once. What a racket this hotel is playing with students.

Upgrades make a difference!

After reading some of the negative reviews, I thought adding a positive one would be nice! I have been staying at the Tideland's for several years. I have researched other hotels numerous times, but none of them meet ALL of my requirements. Tidelands offers fridge, microwave, toaster, stovetop, coffee pot which saves us a bundle on Boardwalk food. Nice to have bottled water and not pay $3.00 for it. They definitely were in need of an upgrade, and now that they have, the stay is even more pleasant. Alarm, hairdryers, iron/ironing board, in room safe, fresh paint, and all new furniture have been added. I also like that there are private balconies, and two pools. It would be nice if they had an indoor pool, but most of the Boardwalk hotels don't. We like being between 4th - 5th Street and having easy access to the pier, shops, and pizza/sub shop right below for midnight snacks! Parking can be an issue, but we've always been lucky, and just don't drive anywhere! I have had some issues there in the past, but management has always been very good about rectifying problems, quickly. Definitely recommend this hotel.

Be careful!

Was booking my reservations this year for Ocean City and thought about our stay last Summer at the Tidelands that I thought I should share.

We were located on the top floor near the fire exit stairway leading down to a back exit door. Someone came knocking at our door in the middle of the night (despite the do not disturb sign on the door handle). We told the stranger repeatedly to go away but never opened the door. After the stranger left, my husband checked the fire door to find that it had been propped open with a rock, leaving anyone access to the hotel. We relayed our complaints to the front desk who pretty much could have cared less.

One other thing, the hotel took a credit card for the deposit/reservation and we had to pay cash (hundreds) for the balance of the room which I thought was unusual. I knew this in advance though as it is their standand practice.

Overall the room was nice. The room was tiled and not carpeted which was nice since the carpet in hotel rooms tends to look bad in the beach hotels. But...they need to get different sheets because the sheets kept coming off while sleeping during the night and you found yourself on the raw mattress in the morning.

Enjoyed This Hotel And Will Return !!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Harley2003

THIS HOTEL IS EXCELLENT and we will return next year.
The 2 gentlemen after 12 midnight were so understanding and really made us feel like we were welcomed at their hotel !!!!
They offered to show us their rooms even before paying for it. When he was showing us he was very friendly etc-- telling us about the room and whatever we wanted to know--

There were 5 of us and We rented a 2-room king size suite w/ juzzci and kitchen- wrap around balcony for Sunday-Wed. July 17-19, 2006 -The room was VERY CLEAN and very well taken care of. The staff at front desk was so nice and helpful at any hour of day or night...They were all excellent and very friendly....

The pool area was very clean and we saw someone everyday cleaning the pool out and checking it. We saw workers wiping down the inside of the elevators. They take pride in there hotel. The owners of this hotel should be proud of their staff.

We were right on 4th St and The Boardwalk. We did not have to drive anywhere the whole time we were there. Kids just loved it here. 1 block to Ocean--from our room we could sit on the balcony and watch everything and plus see the ocean.
It had all the convinces of home-fully equipped kitchen and bathroom.

I can't say enough about this hotel other then if you are looking for a great hotel and friendly staff and convinces of home just stay here.. It is well worth the money you will pay.

This hotel made our stay at Ocean City well worth the trip after the problems we had earlier.

Comments